pfrederi

Electric Fuel Pump Issues

pfrederi

Over the last few years I have been converting my under seat gas tank horses to electric pumps.  3-4 year ago I did 2 C-175s and a 418A I used Facet Posi-Flo pumps.  Being a cheap SOB and having seen other folks using no name Chinese pumps I bought 2 and put one on a C-175 in the spring.  Worked OK (but looking back she only got a couple hours use this year). Last week put the second cheapy on a C-141.  worked fine...for about 3 hours total then died several hundred feet from the shop.  Pump simply stopped working no noise no pumping.  Dead horse recovery is normally done by the FEL on the D200.  Strap around the front axle of the sick horse pick it up and drive the D200 backwards to the shop.  However the C141 had the front mount deck so that wouldn't work..  Took some jumper wire out figuring electric issue.. no go.  I had left the mechanical pump on figuring in the future would make a cover plate.  Had to take fender and seat off then bypass the electric pump and reconnect the mechanical one.  No matter how i tried to figure what I needed multiple trips back for tools were in order.  Got her running and didn't feel like putting the seat and fender back on so put it in low range  2nd and walked her back.  Put a Posi-Flo on and all is well.

Sometimes it is worth spending more    Now I am wondering if i should take the cheapy off the one C-175 or take my chances...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-12V-Low-Pressure-Electric-Fuel-Pump-Diesel-Gas-Fuel-Oil-for-Universal-car-/182455270871?hash=item2a7b2e7dd7

IMG_0211.JPG

squonk

I had one of those Facet pumps fail last winter after 3 yrs. of use. Bought another one though as my Napa stocks them and they are 10 min from my house.

953 nut

Paul, sorry to hear this. I have had one on my GT-14 with FEL for about five years and had no issues. Also have one on the 953 Custom that I use to cruise shows and flea markets which has been on for about three years.

Hope yours is an exception, I have recently put them on a couple others and have been telling others about them.

wallfish

Bought 4 of the cheap pumps just like yours and had one lock up too. Running perfectly fine then just instantly stopped.

Out of the box you can blow air straight through the check valves, after it locked up no air could be blown through. Haven't had the chance to open it up yet to see what's going on.

oldlineman

Just for my info. what presure and flow rate should these pumps be rated at. Might be putting on a 1979 c-101 in the future. Thanks for any info.

WVHillbilly520H
15 minutes ago, oldlineman said:

Just for my info. what presure and flow rate should these pumps be rated at. Might be putting on a 1979 c-101 in the future. Thanks for any info.

Try to keep it 3psi and under.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

pacer

I had about 3 failures with that round type pump. Had another cheapo type (see pic) that had been on my D-180 for some 10-12 yrs so in replacing the round types with the 'square' type I have been having better luck:)

image.png.e86f794e2f6b6682b4004876ce60caf5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Machineguy
10 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Try to keep it 3psi and under.

A return bypass line will help regulate that along with a properly vented fuel cap. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Machineguy
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, pacer said:

I had about 3 failures with that round type pump. Had another cheapo type (see pic) that had been on my D-180 for some 10-12 yrs so in replacing the round types with the 'square' type I have been having better luck:)

image.png.e86f794e2f6b6682b4004876ce60caf5.png

They have a low pressure version of that at Advance and Auto Zone under "Mr Gasket" brand...https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/carbureted_fuel_pumps/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/42S

• Thanks 1

Sarge

There are two main versions of the Facet pumps - those that fail are imported, the ones that last a long time are made here in the US. Price is triple on the US made unit - so that decision has to be made. For my D, due to its weight, size, and difficult to move if its dead, US made one. I still run the mechanical pumps on everything else, they just work and now we can get rebuild kits for them. 

Sarge

KC9KAS
18 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Now I am wondering if i should take the cheapy off the one C-175 or take my chances...

Guess it depends on how far from the work shop you want to be when it quits!

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse
19 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@WVHillbilly520H Have you ever used one of these Mr. Gasket pumps ?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
5 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@WVHillbilly520H Have you ever used one of these Mr. Gasket pumps ?

A long time ago on a small block chevy was the 4-7 psi though, it actually was quite adequate for a stock engine.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Pretty sure the pump on my 310 is on its last legs , Going to replace with electric . May try the Mr. gasket. since the Advance is 1/8 from the house will not have to pay shipping.

• Like 2

pfrederi
On 9/22/2018 at 8:49 AM, Sarge said:

There are two main versions of the Facet pumps - those that fail are imported, the ones that last a long time are made here in the US. Price is triple on the US made unit - so that decision has to be made. For my D, due to its weight, size, and difficult to move if its dead, US made one. I still run the mechanical pumps on everything else, they just work and now we can get rebuild kits for them. 

Sarge

The ones I have used the box says designed and manufactured in the US

• Like 1

Sarge

If you don't mind - what is your source for the US made pumps? Prices seem to vary wildly on the 'net....

Sarge

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If you don't mind - what is your source for the US made pumps? Prices seem to vary wildly on the 'net....

Sarge

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/solidstatepump.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5uyO2qTl3QIVSlgNCh2M1wRKEAQYAyABEgJp2PD_BwE

• Excellent 1

illinilefttackle

These guys have reliable low pressure pumps.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/posi-flo-solid-state-fuel-pump-12v-1-2psi-24-min-dry-lift-15-gph-60246n.html

elcamino/wheelhorse

I just purchased my  Facit pump from Aircraft Spruce to replace the mechanical pump on my 310-8 .Ordered last Wednesday evening and go it in the mail on Saturday.  Made in the USA. I have the same pump on my 416-8 for 3 years with no problems,

squonk

Tuneup

You know, gasoline not being a lubricant, maybe adding a little Marvel or even oil/trans fluid to the tank would provide a little added lubrication to the pump for longevity? Just thinking about it - don't know the failure cause. For me, a pump would help on the C125 - I have to shut off the feed valve at the tank or it'll take moons to start. A little circuit and a pump bypass with check valve to give it a 10 second pump shot at start would be nice and would save the pump. You could have a toggle switch just for the pump if you couldn't build the one shot circuit. For those with pumps that are weak but adequate when running. Just thinking on it - nothing better to do at 4:45 AM and my coffee cup's empty.

elcamino/wheelhorse

I picked up the first pump because it too for ever to start the 416-8 , some one ( i forget who ) recommended the Facit pump. I very satisfied with its performance. @WVHillbilly520H recommended the Mr. Gasket pump. I checked pricing and it was around $42.00 plus state tax. I got the Facit pump for $39.40 that included shipping. The new purchase is going on the the 310-8.:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Sarge

Excellent prices will be putting a couple on the shelf for spares - thanks Paul.

Sarge

oldlineman

If you dont mind me asking what model # Facit pump did you order Elcamino/wheelhorse?