ryanmfairbank

K181 not starting

ebinmaine

Ahhh....

Assuming they are both good switches that would be true. You did test the one so they probably are both okay. So now it is time to back up in your circuitry to a previous position.

ryanmfairbank

When you turn the key to start, are we only activating the solenoid to send 12 volts to the starter motor, or is something else happening? I just trying to figure out what to check...

ebinmaine

I don't quite have enough trust in my own electric knowledge to answer that question but I will do this. You could run a continuity test on each one of those separate wires treating them as two separate issues and try to move the circuit around in your hand while you're doing it to see if there's any breaks in those individual separate wires

pfrederi

You have continuity in the switch...but do you have voltage at the B terminal all the time and also at the S when the key is in start.???    Back probe them to find out.  We may have to work back towards the battery  maybe you have a problem feeding the switch  So you have an ammeter on the tractor???

• Like 1

ryanmfairbank

@pfrederi

The ammeter was never connected and I haven’t got to doing that yet...okay, so if I back probe the “B” terminal, there should always be voltage? And only at the “S” when I turn the switch? That’s what you’re saying?

pfrederi

Yes but if the ammeter isn't hooked up the system will not work at all.  All battery power goes thought it on the way to switch!!!  Either install it or connect teh two wires to it to each other (bypass it)  Think we finally found you r problem!!

• Excellent 1

ryanmfairbank

I’ve never had it connected...It’s always run...

pfrederi

Do you have voltage at the B ignition terminal???

ryanmfairbank

That’s what I was just asking you to clarify...if I back probe the switch at the “B” terminal, you are saying that there should be voltage without turning the switch?

you’ll have to excuse my ignorance...I’m very green when it comes to the electrical aspect of small engines...

pfrederi

YES

ryanmfairbank

No, I don’t

pfrederi

That explain a lot.   OK lets work logically.  Start with eh big terminal on the solenoid the one with two wires on it.  Got voltage?  Follow the small wire you should come to a fuse Got voltage there, then keep going probably to where the ammeter is got voltage there?  Some where between the solenoid and ethe ignition switch there is a problem with the small wire....

• Excellent 1

ryanmfairbank

Just to clarify, the ammeter has never been connected, and I’ve run this motor on this tractor for 2 years...

4EDE8D5B-8915-4D53-BFE2-B2B6AB24253B.jpeg

C4C1EA11-42FD-44AA-A2D2-98AA8C6E25BB.jpeg

pfrederi

IThey must have bypassed it some how and maybe yo didn't restore the jury rigging tehy did.  Bottom line if you have voltage at teh solenoid terminal one with 2 wired then there is fault between there and the switch you will lahve to find it or run a jumper wure

ryanmfairbank

Here’s the meter I’m working with...just to make sure, what’s the proper setting to use?

6750A463-74FB-4AE3-8586-A22646DCEEA8.jpeg

pfrederi

right side White

50 v DC

ryanmfairbank

Okay, that’s what I’m using...and I don’t have voltage at the solenoid, so what do I check next?

pfrederi

You said you could jump the solenoid (the two big terminals and it would crank  if it did yo musy have voltage at teh terminal with 2 wire...or did you jump from the batter + to teh solenoid songel heavy terminal

pfrederi

Do you have voltage at the battery +

ryanmfairbank

Yes, I have voltage at the battery...I can jump from the large terminal to the small terminal on the solenoid and the motor will turn over...

pfrederi

Studied your picture ...you wired the solenoid backwards. 

pfrederi

The lighter wire is on the heavy terminal that goes to the starter.  it should be on the other one the one that comes from the battery!!

ryanmfairbank

🤦🏼‍♂️ 🤦🏼‍♂️ 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

ryanmfairbank

I’ll get right back to you....

ryanmfairbank

I can’t believe it was something that simple! Thank you so much!!! 

If you ever have time, would you be able to tell me how to wire in the ammeter?