ronhatch

TIRED OF FEELING AROUND FOR 867 LEAKY GAS SHUT OFFr

ronhatch

After years of feeling around under my 867 gas tank for the gas shut off valve, I've final decide to do something about it. And yes, I tightened the packing nut to stop it from leaking but then it becomes difficult to turn, so it's time to make life easier.  The first step after removing the tank was to unscrew the 51 year old gas valve from the bottom of the tank so I could install a  new Facet brand gas filter that has 1/8" NPT on one end and a 1/4" hose barb on the other. From there, a short hose goes to a new flush mounted 1/4 turn gas valve with a nice red handle that is installed under the serial plate on the front panel of the steering tower, and finally the hose follows the right side of the engine to the fuel pump.  No more smelly gas fumes and/or fishing around under the tank. The shut off/on handle is right in front of  me, PLUS the wife isn't complaining about the gas smell.  :woohoo:  The total cost was only $15. for the filter, valve and shipping thanks to the reasonable prices at Aircraft Spruce.  IMHO, this up grade is a no brainier.

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 6

posifour11

@ronhatch, this is a very good tip to give folks! Without giving away info about how my brother did his thing, (but, I'm sure it does, anyway.) 

• Confused 1

Tankman

Did you use a 90 degree fitting?  :mellow:

Great idea! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

I'd love to see pics of the finished job

Retired Wrencher

ronhatch :wwp: Good job.

• Thanks 1

Daron1965
3 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

ronhatch :wwp: Good job.

:text-yeahthat:

ronhatch

No 90 degree fitting Tankman. The filter comes straight down out of the tank.  I like to keep it simple with a minimal amount  of fittings and hopefully, less leaks.

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 1

ronhatch

05-01043.jpgThe 1/4 turn shut off valve I used for $8.75. It requires a 9/16" hole.479735a.jpgAnd the Facet fuel filter for  $4.45.

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 1