WHX??

Ford 1520

WHX??

Saw this along the road the other day for sale. Since I am always in the market for a SCUT/CUT does any body know anything about these Fords? Seems like he is a little high on his price but not sure. Dan @Achto this is sitting at Milty Wiltys in Wautoma if you get that way check it out and see what you think. I really have no use for the belly finnish mower but it comes with it. Maybe use it for rough cutting the plow field?

Tractor Data says this is a Japanese made unit. and original price was 13k. Doest that sound right?

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/9/2/5927-ford-1520.html

20180919_103003[1].jpg

20180919_102944[1].jpg

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 2

Achto

I dunno Jim, I think the 1700 that you were looking at may be a better deal. It would be more tractor for less $. Both 1520 & the 1700 were built by Shibaura in Japan, so that aspect of them would be the same.

1520 - I have a love / hate relationship with a hydro tranny on a loader tractor. The hydro is handy for changing directions and adjusting speed but this convenience comes with a power loss. If you have to push into a pile or scrape hard with the bucket the power is not always there with the hydro.

1700 - This tractor looks like it is a gear jammer, not as convenient as the hydro for maneuvering but much less of a power loss. Add does not state if it has shuttle shift though. Shuttle shift is nice because you can shift on the fly, no need to come to a stop in order to change directions but it is still a gear jammer. Shuttle shift is kinda the best of both worlds in my mind. 

Just some opinions to take into consideration.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Achto said:

I think the 1700 that you were looking at may be a better deal.

I was thinking that too Dan, downside is that 1700 wasn't 4WD which might be a plus out in the woods? I hear you about the hydro thing but pretty hard to find a decent  used CUT without hydro or has shuttle shift these days? Gear jammer or shuttle shift would be a plus tho. Most of the time for what I would use it for manual would be ok.

• Like 1

roadapples

Would this make you WHX20+F1:D

• Haha 4

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX20 said:

downside is that 1700 wasn't 4WD which might be a plus out in the woods?

Could open up a debate here as to which might be better in the woods. :think:

Ford 1700 - 2400lbs  + wheel weights + the block of cement hanging off of the 3 point. 2wd with a diff lock, ag tires on 24" rims on the rear.

Ford 1520 - 2200lbs + no extra weight that I can see. 4wd with turfs all the way around, & the rears on 16" rims.

:confusion-confused: Could be a hard call

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

wh500special

FWIW:   I have a Ford 1700.  Have had it for about 17 years or so.  Great tractor.  

Mine is 2wd with turf tires.   I do not have a loader. It’s a 12 speed fwd, 3 reverse.   Live hydraulics with one rear remote.   Manual steering.  Transmission driven pto with built in overrunning clutch.   60” Ford belly mower.  72” rear generic blade.  Lift boom.  I have a front pto kit. I can’t recall hours but I think it might be 1300 or so. 

Solid machine.  Just don’t need it anymore.  

It’s for sale.  If interested, send me a pm.  Would like to see $3500 for it.  

The newer 1520 is probably a better tractor.  Certainly more modern. But that one looks expensive.  

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wh500special

I forgot to mention...

1700’s did not have shuttle shift.  But there are two gear shift levers - one for the 4 ranges, the other for gears 1-3 and reverse.   Shifting the second shifter between reverse and whatever gear is right above it (can’t recall, but I think it’s 2nd) is fast and easy.   

Not the same, but close enough for me that mowing was easy.  

Steve

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

@WHX20, both of my SCUTs are gear jammers, the only issue I have is there should be a mid range sometimes high is too high as low too low but that's where JD or Kubota may shine better if you can find one reasonablely priced used, the Kioti I found as a trade in at the dealership less than 500 hours worn out front turfs good loaded rear turfs FEL and 60" MMM out the door and delivered for $6500, and IMHO it's bests to have 4wd and not need it than the other way, Jeff.

IMAG0213.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Thanks Billy, that 6500 is about right in my price range. I always like lookin even if I have no intention of buying. Just cause your not hungry don't mean you can't look at the menu right? 

I'm on fence here if some thing pops up with turf vs ags or even R4s. Turfs would be nice around the ranch here but at the cabin? ?? 

One thing I worry about, perhaps needlessly is parts availability for these Japanese and now Chinese tractors and $$$ down the road. That's one of the reasons I flipped the Mitz I had. Parts were $$$ and she needed some! 

My priorities are FEL, 24 hp, and cat 1 3 PT minimum ...does that sound resonable? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
21 minutes ago, WHX20 said:

Thanks Billy, that 6500 is about right in my price range. I always like lookin even if I have no intention of buying. Just cause your not hungry don't mean you can't look at the menu right? 

I'm on fence here if some thing pops up with turf vs ags or even R4s. Turfs would be nice around the ranch here but at the cabin? ?? 

One thing I worry about, perhaps needlessly is parts availability for these Japanese and now Chinese tractors and $$$ down the road. That's one of the reasons I flipped the Mitz I had. Parts were $$$ and she needed some! 

My priorities are FEL, 24 hp, and cat 1 3 PT minimum ...does that sound resonable? 

Jim, most of these SCUTs are Japanese or South Korean or at least powered by Yanmar Kubota Kioti(Daedong) or Mitsubishi ect (the Chinese would be like the NorTrac or Cabela's brand), any ways 20-27 engine HP hydros always have less Drawbar/PTO HP, other than some of the smaller ones today(BX Kubota has limited CAT1) both of mine have full CAT1 3PT, even CUB CADET had Yanmar build their last version of SCUT so they would be worth looking into, as well as Bobcat was built by Kioti for 3-5 years same as mine but 25 hp vs 22, as far as tires I replaced the turfs with R4s (because I didn't want to buy new rims as if you went with R1s) as far as traction it's really a toss between the 2 back home dragging logs (AG type "R4" are just a personal preference of mine, good luck with the hunt some the chase is as much fun as the acquisition, Jeff.

• Like 1