Flatheadpete

Ford 9N

DougC

Nice little Ford you got there. I have his big brother, Ford 860. They are well built and fun to own, Like a Wheel Horse.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut

:text-goodpost:     The screen didn't obscure the ear to ear grin on your face, nice find!     :text-coolphotos:

DennisThornton

I have always wanted a 1952 for some reason!

Terry M
15 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Dennis, maybe because 52 is the last year for the 8N  ?  

4 hours ago, Flatheadpete said:

I'm gonna add lights front and rear and get a back blade before snow flies (if it ever does!).

1B3E6266-0C66-4217-9B6B-3E4842986C19.jpg

Flathead,   they do (or did) make reproduction "trac-to-lites"  that look just like what the dealers put on in the day...

953 nut
18 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Honestly Dennis, you have wanted every make and model that has been posted on here. If I did a search of "I want one" you would lead the pack.  :ychain: But, I have no room to talk because I want everything I see.  :teasing-neener:

• Like 3

JC 1965

I use to drive one of those when I was a kid. I don't remember if it was 8N or 9N.   :confusion-confused: Great lookin tractor, thanks for sharing. :thumbs2:       

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
3 minutes ago, JC 1965 said:

I use to drive one of those when I was a kid. I don't remember if it was 8N or 9N.   :confusion-confused: Great lookin tractor, thanks for sharing. :thumbs2:       

Yeah, all the farmers around me had those or a Massey Ferguson that looked almost exactly like the Ford. Got a lot of seat time on those as a kid

DennisThornton
21 hours ago, Terry M said:

Dennis, maybe because 52 is the last year for the 8N  ?  

Flathead,   they do (or did) make reproduction "trac-to-lites"  that look just like what the dealers put on in the day...

Indeed!  The last for the 8N and the first year for me!  :lol:

20 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Honestly Dennis, you have wanted every make and model that has been posted on here. If I did a search of "I want one" you would lead the pack.   But, I have no room to talk because I want everything I see.  

Yeah but the 8N I've wanted longer than any of the others!  Odd that I have a few of the others but still not a single 8N!  I did actually go looking for an 8N several years back but came home with the TC35.  Guess I can't complain...  No, on second thought I can!  I WANT an 8N!  I think in many ways they are like the WHs.  Many made long ago and still around and in use.  Most if not all parts are still available!  Maybe more available then even the WH parts!  Still good looking and desirable!

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

Those old Fords are fantastic tractors.  I have a 1950 8N and a 1955 660.  They are still getting the job done mowing my 4 acres of grass.  My 8N is 65 years old.  Try that with a new tractor.

Lots of help on the 9N/2N/8N's are available a the N Tractor Club (www.ntractorclub.com).  Just 8N's is a fantastic parts supplier.

Enjoy.

Terry M
11 hours ago, JC 1965 said:

An original 8N would have the red painted cast parts(engine, trans and rear axle) with grey sheet metal.  2N and 9N's usually were all grey(ish) color. 

WNYPCRepair
On December 21, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Flatheadpete said:

1B3E6266-0C66-4217-9B6B-3E4842986C19.jpg

How does the front axle attach on these? 

I was thinking about it last week. I remember when I was a kid being impressed there was just a rear end, tranny, and engine, all bolted together, no frame, but I can't for the life of me remember how the axle attached.

Kurt-NEPA
6 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

..but I can't for the life of me remember how the axle attached.

Hi Brian,

The front axle rotates on a king pin just like a Wheel Horse.  The king pin (part no 1) bolts to what called a bolster (part no. 2) .  The bolster bolts to the front of the engine.

Kurt

567a84db26cce_2NFrontEnd.thumb.jpg.cd71d

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Hi Brian,

The front axle rotates on a king pin just like a Wheel Horse.  The king pin (part no 1) bolts to what called a bolster (part no. 2) .  The bolster bolts to the front of the engine.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, that's what I thought I remembered, I just couldn't remember how. I remember thinking that it was a nice solid setup, no frame to bend. :) 

Flatheadpete

Had a chance to move a little snow last weekend.  Works well but it's gonna take some practice to get efficient.  And a pic of my two old Fords side by side.

35B33DC3-50C6-48A2-B6E5-C4E4D708910E.jpg

08EAD8F9-CFE4-443C-BE91-6436D74A38C5.jpg

Edited by Flatheadpete
  • Like 4

Kurt-NEPA

Fantastic Pictures.

Those Ford 2N tractors were very capable machines.  And many of them are still getting the job done today.  I think you will like it.  If you are going to use that back blade, Get a Zang Thang (from Zane Sherman). It will get you better control over the blade, easy install and not expensive.

Love that 1950 Ford Sedan you have.  Brings back fond memories, my father had a 1950 four door Custom. He loved that car and regretted selling it in 1957.

Kurt

• Like 1

nylyon

Nice pair. My dad had a '50 business coupe, and my neighbor a '49.  I still have a model he built of the '50

• Like 1

Pullstart

I'm in love with your back wall!  Love me some Pabst :handgestures-thumbupright:  Nice rides too!

• Like 1

Flatheadpete

My wonderful wife pulled her Buick LuCerne into the turnaround we use and it promptly sunk down in the soft, thick mud....(warm weather after rain and snow stinks).  I pushed it out from behind with the right front tire.  Didn't even pretend to work it.  I thought it was pretty awesome....Jenny?  Not so much.  She was embarassed.

953 nut
10 hours ago, Flatheadpete said:

She was embarassed.

Not her fault that it thawed!