justin77

520xi leaking hub

justin77

Hello,

I’m looking for some guidance to repair my right side hub. It started leaking the other day after mowing, I’ve noticed a gap on the leaking side between the hub and trans axle housing. I’m thinking I may just need a thrust washer and or possibly an oil seal? I’ve read that I may need to fab a hub puller? See attached photo. Any help or advice is greatly appericiated! 

CA40A980-9D7A-4F31-B58D-841A3C0B9578.jpeg

Achto

If you have a leak then the axle seal is most definitely bad. Causes for this could be a bad axle bearing, some thing getting wrapped around the axle, or just plain wear over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Justin, the gap between the Hub and the transaxle housing is very likely a normal one. I'm not familiar with your specific model of tractor but I don't see that being as a serious issue.

Others will probably be along to be able to give you more accurate advice than I can.

You DEFINITELY DO want to make a hub puller. Do NOT use a 3 jaw puller.

There are topics covering that here on the site. I used an old Hub and 5 bolts to do it. Works so much better.

Getting the seal itself out is usually fairly easy. I normally take a long thin sharp screwdriver and bang it in very slightly around the edges... with a hammer ... then use the same screwdriver to pry the seal out all the way around the edges and it slides off the axle... but I don't know if that's the best way. There are seal pullers available as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DennisThornton

Lots of good info already.  If nothing has damaged the axle surface a new seal will solve the problem. 

• Thanks 1

richmondred01

Lift the rear and move the tire up and down like you are inspecting a ball joint. If you have considerable movement and oil is pouring out, it may be your bearing. That’s a pain. If not, it’s your seal. Like it’s already been articulated, the seal is an easy fix. 

Pulling the hub may be problematic. 

The correct hub puller is essential the cast iron hub will break. (Ask all of us how we know)

B7BB469C-D8F6-473B-A9B4-E7957EF1F8DF.jpeg

Edited by richmondred01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1