wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Sunstrand Auto18 sudden axle leak problem

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Well my old 1973 Auto18 just suffered a problem. And I have a feeling it is not good.

It has been running like a champ past several years since the Sunstrand tranny was rebuilt beautifully.

I have been following the instructions of keeping the oil clean, changing filters/oil every 50hrs etc..

Was using it yesterday and suddenly it stopped moving forward or backward.

It didn't take long to see that tranny  oil was pouring out the rear wheel axle. At least a quart or two poured out into that tray.  

I jacked up the tractor and now  see that there is a good 1 ½" of exposed axle when i tried to remove the wheel.  Wheel did not come off as one of the bolts was frozen. So this is what I have.

I'm sitting down.... Can someone tell me how bad this is?? Gulp! 

At first I thought it was just an axle seal. But that would be way to simple correct?
Thanks for any help on this matter!  
Jack

leak1.jpg

leak2.jpg

leak3.jpg

• Confused 1

953 nut

I'm a bit confused by the bright shiny area on the axle. I presume the spacing between the hub and axle is about the same as it had been previously. Check the axle for movement front to back and up and down, there should be none if the bearings are good. Perhaps some foreign object (twine, wire ???) got wrapped around there and took out the seal as the axle turned.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Hi 953!,  No, actually the spacing occurred after i jacked up the tractor. It looks like the axle itself slid out a good 1 ½". Haven't been able yet to remove the wheel. as one bolt is frozen, but wheel turns freely. But the gap was a ¼" at best in the picture where the oil is leaking out. Then when I lifted it slid out to 1 ½".  Doesn't sound good.😰

Edited by wheelhorse-c-161-1979
  • Sad 1

pfrederi

The snap ring on the end of the Axle back inside the differential has come off at least partly if yo can move the axle in an out as far as you say.

• Like 2

953 nut

best way I've found to deal with a frozen lug bolt is a long piece of pipe on the end of your breaker bar.  Use lifetime guaranteed socket and bar just in case!                   :ychain:

• Like 1

pfrederi

Hope that your hub will come off easier than your wheel  D Hubs can be difficult.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

I have to agree with pfrederi..... internal AXLE RETAINER CLIP came off/failed.  Here are two pics..

clip- 001a.jpg

clip- 002a.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

Unfortunately in the process of failing the clip has a dependency to chew up the splines on the very end of the axle meaning a new clip will not hold.  Axle replacement or drilling a hole in the end of it and putting in a roll pin may be in the future.

Factory Dog

If the axle seal is the only place you are leaking from, that is a good thing.  Sounds like you will have to drop the transaxle to see what you got.  I have several extra o-rings for the hydraulic manifold, including the high pressure seal if you need any when reassembling it.  Stay positive!