mc1960

160C 8 speed not going into low range

mc1960

After putting things back together, I have noticed that it doesn't want to go into low range. I did not open up the rear end, so I know I didn't do something wrong inside. I have not drove it yet, but thinking about driving it around some to see if maybe something (crud maybe) may brake loose. Good plan or not? Any suggestions? Realize that it was setting up for a while(maybe 8 or more years) before I got it. Thanks for all of your help on this project. Mark

oldredrider

Try backing out the top 2 transmission mounting bolts...not all the way. One of them may be interfering with the shifting lever.

stevasaurus

Sorry, oldredrider, that is not the problem.  Those mounting bolts are in a blind hole and do not go into the transmission...unless somebody drilled it out and tapped it...which I doubt. 

More likely, something is a little rusted.  Drain the oil and see what is in there.  Depending on what you find, fill with diesel for a few days and try moving the hi/low shifter once in a while.  Rock the horse also, but do not force the issue...you can bend or break the fork piece of metal.  If it does not loosen up, you may need to open the trans.  Let us know.  :)

• Like 3

mc1960

We did drain the fluid after we steam cleaned it, we did put some diesel fluid and rinse it out before we replaced the fluid. Thanks  

Wild Bill in VA

Mark,

Take a quick look at the roll pin holding the Hi/Lo shift lever and see if the pin is worn or missing. Like Steve was saying the Hi/Lo shift fork is not the strong point of this transmission, from low oil levels to hard shifting the flat part of the fork wears faster and will bend or because of being worn will not have the throw to complete the shift.

Wild Bill in Richmond, VA

wallfish

You mentioned you have not driven it yet so it may just be mashing gears while sitting still. Turn the input pulley a little and they may line up better.

Once in a while they will do this with both shifters. With the engine running let your foot of the clutch and push it right back in, then it will shift into gear. Mine seems to hang up like that more frequently with the high low shifter. Hope it's as simple as that!

Edited by wallfish

stevasaurus
17 hours ago, mc1960 said:

We did drain the fluid after we steam cleaned it, we did put some diesel fluid and rinse it out before we replaced the fluid. Thanks  

The problem with what you did is that the shifting mechanism that may be stuck is higher in the trans case then the level of the oil...you need to fill it with diesel to soak those parts and work them loose.  :think:  If they are as bad as this, then what I am suggesting will not even work. 

1.5.JPG

mc1960

Thursday we filled the transmission up with diesel and let it set over the weekend. Today it still would not go into low range so we pulled the transmission and was preparing to split it, Someone had welded the hub on one side and we chiseled the weld to break it before we opened the case, and I guess the vibration must have loosened everything up and it started going into low range as it should. Thanks for all of the advise. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Did you get to look inside to see how much rust you had in there...or was it clean and just stuck a little??  :)

mc1960

We did not even crack the case, so I don't know.

Tuneup

Applying a hammer solves most problems - check!  :). You're lucky. Mine had to be split to replace the fork but like all things Wheel Horse, it was just a fun undertaking to rebuild the thing.

my new toy
On 8/9/2018 at 8:54 AM, Tuneup said:

Applying a hammer solves most problems - check!  :). You're lucky. Mine had to be split to replace the fork but like all things Wheel Horse, it was just a fun undertaking to rebuild the thing.

I find if you can't fix it with duct tape or a hammer it is an electric problem 

• Like 1

T man

At one time, I owned(collected) wheelhorses.had 27 running tractors.over the years ive reduced my fleet.my fav is a 1964 1054 that was given to me in totally disassemble. After several years and dollars later, i managed to piece it together and has been my faithful companion on a daily basis.last winter while pushing snow, i lost my low range( i know, they didnt come out with 8 speeds) i picked up an 8 speed 1 inch axles and after some mounting hole redrilling and some cussing, i managed to adapt and get bout 20 years more use out of the fine machine.I am disabled, therefor, i use it for my legs.K......this being said, here is my problem. I need a hi-low shift fork and the seal/bearing????? On the right side behind the drive pulley. Everything else is in fairly good shape and it never did leak. Any help would be much appreciated.

moe1965
On 7/27/2018 at 7:09 PM, oldredrider said:

Try backing out the top 2 transmission mounting bolts...not all the way. One of them may be interfering with the shifting lever.

Had this happen to me. 

stevasaurus

@T man   Welcome to Red Square   If you have an 8 speed with 1" axles, you have a Wheel Horse #5086.  I'm thinking you may still be able to get that shift fork from TORO.  The bearing and seal behind the drive pulley is Torrington # B-107  the seal is SKF # 6105.  I think the part # for that shift fork is #7209  (3-40) in this manual.  :)

pfrederi

7209 is now 116636-03  and is available about $55

• Like 1

stevasaurus

@pfrederi  you know...that does not seem like too bad a price for a new one...when you would probably pay $20-$25 plus postage for a used one.  thanks Paul.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1