Sign in to follow this  
Eriks Red horse herd

Dancing in the shop for joy!!

Eriks Red horse herd

You Know how everyone procrastinates on certain projects. Well 4 years ago i bought at a auction a Atlas metal lathe. She's an oldey but good. and when i got it home gave her the once over notice certain things that need to be done like new drum switch and new wireing. So I bought all the supplys and thats where its been at for the last 3 years sitting in the corner of the shop piled with parts and any thing else that I have lazely put on it . There she was collecting dust. UNTIL YESTERDAY. I looked at it and and got a bug up my butt and cleaned it off. Tore into the wireing. Rewired and put on new drum switch. Crossed my fingers and looked the other way expecting sparks and smoke. And NOTHING happened Crap the motor must be junk. Called the bother in-law (he's a master electrician). HE came over expecting him to tell me the same. He loooked at all the wireing and found I had cross some wires in the motor.(motors wireing is colored but being it's 50 plus years old it was faded pretty bad). He changed the wires and we crossed our fingers and looked the other way. again expecting a shower of sparks and smoke. Low and behold IT"S ALIVE, IT"S ALIVE HAAAAAA!!! I felt like a mad scientist. Wanted to try her out I made two bushings that iv'e needed for some time. Works extremly well for something older than me. Now this week I have to clean the ways, oil it with good way lube and give her a good cleaning and start to put her to work making parts for WH tractors as old as her. And she leaves me dancing the jig. I love it when things work!

Coadster32

Awesome! I love having a little shop in my basement. A lathe is a great addition. Can't tell you how many times I've made bushings, and knobs. Just like anything else, why didn't I do this sooner?? Have fun. :thumbs:

past7971

Don't you love it when a plan comes together. Between the "ITS ALIVE, ITS ALIVE" I'm guessing sounded like Gene Wilder in the movie Young Frankenstein and talk of dancing the jig around garage.......do you keep the shop door down/closed? Or have you already "impressed" the neighbors enough that they dont even care anymore. Take care & enjoy