Pullstart

More house work... master bath

Pullstart

My window boxes are done.  Now to cut the shiplap pieces to fit the windows and trim...

8FE54E25-D9F9-403A-8DE2-B5279A06FE25.jpeg

E79DA4BF-3DE1-4132-98D3-1C8BC4A7AFBC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’m waiting for final bits of drywall mud to dry and for the shower mortar bed to finish curing.  I whipped up a different width piece of shiplap to come up to the bottom of the window boxes.  To “trim” the sides, I’ll have to make 4 different shaped pieces for uprights.  The area around the light will be cut to fit the picture frame and the next top piece will be cut differently too.  This will essentially allow the shiplap undercut to be a molding for the window boxes.

D4BD9E96-FD20-4AFC-9D15-72ABD5F06691.jpeg

DDCA63ED-A9A5-4B9E-B046-A7ABE8FD2B8A.jpeg

EA0E49F8-8D10-4506-B440-33DF25E4889D.jpeg

91CB1B46-AF2B-4CAB-8DF5-8C67A53CAC0E.jpeg

31EC1579-0B90-4C7A-82EE-54DF41CF8EB2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

It’s working!  I’ll trim the upper piece and that will pretty much be the end of the customized pieces.... I’ll just install the last few pieces upside down.

C578930D-4DD5-4CF8-B8E6-08D465B37454.jpeg

53B16466-4EBA-4BF3-805A-69409377C9D6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

It’s cut down to height and will work out just swell.  Here is the light “fixture” that’ll be over the vanity.  It is from a dead ash tree that I felled about 10 years or so ago.  I hand milled a few slabs with my chainsaw for a shelf and this was the first cut.  I have the rest of the pieces to house the bulbs in mason jars.

F34D55B2-787B-4B90-BCD1-A6B196F3E48D.jpeg

4BF30329-9665-4B0C-98A9-C6D48D4D4167.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut

With 24" long tiles you will want to be sure the walls are dead straight. the slightest hump or bump will ruin your day.

So, in addition to teaching the girls about improper fractions I see they are both receiving vocational training too.    :handgestures-thumbupright:              :text-coolphotos:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
15 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

With 24" long tiles you will want to be sure the walls are dead straight. the slightest hump or bump will ruin your day.

So, in addition to teaching the girls about improper fractions I see they are both receiving vocational training too.    :handgestures-thumbupright:              :text-coolphotos:

I hope for good days ahead Richard!  They are pretty straight, I hope for the best!

• Heart 1

Pullstart

I am not 100% satisfied with the drywall mud.  There are a few low spots.  The blanket of snow outside really brightened up the room to make all the flaws really pop.  I decided to paint, then skim a few spots as needed then touch up the paint.  This’ll keep my progress moving forward.  I’ll let this coat dry, then cut in the walls and paint them up too.  Then grout, finish the wood wall, install vanity and continue on the shower!  There is still some color coming out of the last shower mud job.

C39015B5-3E19-43B3-AC34-E99251D589F3.jpeg

61414FCA-34F6-4C24-AFE8-435130D7E627.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart

This old fan/heater is amazing for curing paint.  I have it blowing into the oscillating fan for adequate air movement in the entire room.

2ABE6478-2CA0-4EA0-A3CE-570D7757E054.jpeg

2F89F3FA-13F1-46C2-8C23-11646BE42406.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Trying not to make a complete career out of this project but so be it!

I finished the paint and the wood wall is complete.  I have a 1/2” or so gap at the top.  I feel like it will get a similar trim treatment as the rest of the baseboard.  My favorite 1-by common board!

Now I’m scrubbing the tile in preparation for grout.  Yay!  🥴

0FBA85B1-F940-49ED-AAD3-5DDF78D24ACC.jpeg

9C84BCF4-6392-487B-A139-02B8163B85F5.jpeg

090A92DE-FD79-4C92-8805-36AFCB3F9EB1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Lookin good 👍

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

The grout is coming along!

93228369-B2E2-4815-84DF-01CD326BCD1F.jpeg

163A9771-6DC9-4EC1-93AD-B9DBA4CA9525.jpeg

• Heart 3

953 nut
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

I have a 1/2” or so gap at the top.

From the Now he tells me this file          :hide:

When I do a project like that wall I will mock up the layout from the top down so any gap will be concealed behind the base board.  :text-imsorry: 

Pullstart
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

From the Now he tells me this file          :hide:

When I do a project like that wall I will mock up the layout from the top down so any gap will be concealed behind the base board.  :text-imsorry: 

Well... I was kind of flying by the seat of my pants with that part.  I figured that because of my shiplap design, I’d cut the last boards to fit.  Then at the window when I flipped the top board, I sort of shot myself in the foot on that plan.  It’ll work out just fine :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Heart 1

JCM

Kev, I can honestly say in almost 44 years in the Plumbing trade I have never installed  a urinal in a residential application, I like your style, Bidet yes, urinal no.I commend you on your efforts to go it alone on the bath remodel. Back many years ago I did rough in a lot of urinals, and in a commercial application, all the 2'' waste piping had to be lead and oakum joints as per code with Cast Iron pipe, It was a lot of work but I kinda miss doing that, when Men were Men so to speak. Good luck with the completion of your new Master Bath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart
2 hours ago, JCM said:

Kev, I can honestly say in almost 44 years in the Plumbing trade I have never installed  a urinal in a residential application, I like your style, Bidet yes, urinal no.I commend you on your efforts to go it alone on the bath remodel. Back many years ago I did rough in a lot of urinals, and in a commercial application, all the 2'' waste piping had to be lead and oakum joints as per code with Cast Iron pipe, It was a lot of work but I kinda miss doing that, when Men were Men so to speak. Good luck with the completion of your new Master Bath.

Thanks Jim!  It’s pretty practical, even if I’m the only man in the house!

Flooring is grouted and the light fixture is hung!  For some reason, I have no lights though.  I’ll grab my meter and check wiring in the AM.

9800B944-7AC5-4F16-B1CC-DDB4673A21FA.jpeg

5244AF4F-5C3A-4AA6-AD75-766626959F17.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

I’m chalking this up to a late night, maybe some fatigue and the fact that I don’t always like wire nuts.  The hot wire had partially pulled from the bundle and needed a fresh snug.

We have lights!

4F48BBAF-8FDF-421E-846C-1B0F7FE120E6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701
33 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’m chalking this up to a late night, maybe some fatigue and the fact that I don’t always like wire nuts.  The hot wire had partially pulled from the bundle and needed a fresh snug.

We have lights!

4F48BBAF-8FDF-421E-846C-1B0F7FE120E6.jpeg

you don't use wire nuts?

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, jabelman said:

you don't use wire nuts?

Yeah, but I guess I’d prefer to soldier wires sometimes.  With house work, it’s not a soldering matter :D

Pullstart

The vanity is close to being in place.  Here shows the drains integrated into the dresser.  The affected drawers are trimmed and shortened as needed.  I hung my tape as a plumb bob to center it as close as I can to finish popping holes for water connections, etc.  it’ll be anchored to the wall then the drain will be glued together.  I have a pvc union if the vanity ever needs to be removed for any reason.

I’LL ALSO POINT OUT... the outlets are wired to a GFCI breaker in the basement.

1E4C86BF-397D-47BA-B0AA-3F45F5971631.jpeg

E8CE357E-666C-4947-936F-8C2988D6A7B1.jpeg

49061681-9612-43D2-AC0F-066962B731CB.jpeg

Pullstart

I’ll also go ahead and say I’ve had this new Milwaukee drill and super huge M-18 XC5.0 batteries for a few weeks or so now.  I haven’t yet needed to charge a battery, they are lasting so much longer than their smaller M18 predecessors.  

0BA61F16-5DFE-4541-BE32-9A00E455DA5E.jpeg

82Caddy
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’ll also go ahead and say I’ve had this new Milwaukee drill and super huge M-18 XC5.0 batteries for a few weeks or so now.  I haven’t yet needed to charge a battery, they are lasting so much longer than their smaller M18 predecessors.  

I picked up a couple of those batteries as well.  They're monsters.

Tractorhead

Very cool bathroom, i would also decide to have an Urinal.

Even because it‘s more practicable for the „fast“ doing.

Also the light is a pretty cool and genius idea.

It looks a bit of Steampunk, i like it.

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Very cool bathroom, i would also decide to have an Urinal.

Even because it‘s more practicable for the „fast“ doing.

Also the light is a pretty cool and genius idea.

It looks a bit of Steampunk, i like it.

Thanks Stefan,

we we will finish the light fixture by cutting the bottoms off of Mason Jars and using them as lamp shades..

Tractorhead

Cool, a friend of mine did this in the past with a 5DM coin, but not as lampshade.

he put it in and swirl it few minutes, after 20 min he shake it 2 times and the bottom was released.

a lightly sanding cuttes the sharp edges.

but i never tried it.

he also show me this practise with a empty beer bottle.

the only restriction he had, was at Jack Daniels bottles, because they had no rounding in the bottle.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

We’ve got a working sink in our bathroom!  It’s been so long brushing teeth in the kitchen, my mouth tastes like dish soap!  :ROTF:

2D5F4B6F-B5F7-43ED-8C01-C714095168A7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1