Pullstart

More house work... master bath

The Tuul Crib
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

It’s 2” PVC with a trap directly under the floor.

09314955-8E05-4CC8-B6F0-A37DDCA66E95.jpeg

That one long piece in that picture looks like a wall drain.  I just saw one the other day on this old house and it was pretty cool how it went in and went together . 

Pullstart

Oh...  I’m not sure what kind it is.  I’ll look into that, maybe it’ll help me do it right!

Pullstart

Retaining wall drain?  That would make more sense than a drain in the wall!  I was so confused...  yeah, it’s similar to that in a way.

This drains to the center and has a rubber seal and a basket to catch hair from clogging the drain.  The center just lifts out and the 1/4” gap around the perimeter will catch the water.

72739901-0E85-4F91-8384-A48AD2C4E160.jpeg

4765A62B-34E8-4B0B-BE2B-815D46C18BB3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Do you plan to use a waterproof isolation membrane under the tile? I found the Scluter System to be easy to use and worked well for my house.

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Membranes/Uncoupling-(DITRA)/c/M-U

I have a big rubber shower pan membrane that’ll be laid down next, then another layer of mortar before tile.  I believe they should essentially do the same job :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Looking great Kevin!  I’m excited for you and Taylor to see this project coming together.  You have good pitch on the base “mud” and you made sure to float it out smoothly.  The guy who installed mine didn’t do a good job on that portion of the install and it cost the finish stages of the project problems.  10 years later and I’m still not satisfied with the results on the floor.  Water pools in some of the uneven portions of my floor and it always irritates me.  Two👍🏻 For doing a good job on this part of the install...keep up the great work, I’m following along.  Good to see Rylee in on the action too😉

• Thanks 2

Tractorhead

The only thing i asked myself, why not bring some piping into motar bed, for a controlled underfloor heater?.

Nothing is more comfortable, than jump in a preheated Shower with a underfloor heater.

Simple to make (just a pipe (copper or Steel) bend to a maeander and hooked with a thermostat onto Heater circle.)

So you be able to preheat the Shower and the room, once to dry quickly secondary for warm feet.

Another great benefit was the comfort early in the morning, to stay on a warm floor until Shower..

I like that...

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Tractorhead said:

The only thing i asked myself, why not bring some piping into motar bed, for a controlled underfloor heater?.

Nothing is more comfortable, than jump in a preheated Shower with a underfloor heater.

Simple to make (just a pipe (copper or Steel) bend to a maeander and hooked with a thermostat onto Heater circle.)

So you be able to preheat the Shower and the room, once to dry quickly secondary for warm feet.

Another great benefit was the comfort early in the morning, to stay on a warm floor until Shower..

I like that...

I haven’t mentioned heat source in the room, but you’re close!  I plan to have a heat loop under the floor in the entire bathroom, controlled by a thermostat and some cool pumps through a heat exchanger.  I have 130 gallons of stored hot water when the outdoor wood boiler is running, 80 gallons during the summer.  There is an air duct heating and cooling the room currently, but I’ll stick a shut off in that for winter months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I threw up some paint to seal the wall and started putting up the boards.  Shy of trimming and here and there, we’re in business!  I had to take a trip to Harbor Freight last night to grab some 2” finish nails to get into the studs... and low and behold I wondered around a bit.  DID YOU KNOW THEY HAVE A DISCOUNT TOOLS RACK!!!!???  The cashier said when they have a single item warranty that comes from a kit, the rest of the kit gets marked down 35-50% just for one missing tool!

7767323D-06B3-405F-AED7-635572B81315.jpeg

C2BFB03B-042C-42B8-9254-7DA2E1450313.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Things are looking really nice there bud

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Things are looking really nice there bud

When this major project is complete... I feel like a well deserved :wh: build will be on the horizon.

This wall adjoins the bathroom and is part of the dining room.  It’ll be a wet bar with oil based stained shiplap as a backer too.  

44F51B0E-D500-482B-A6B8-5287A981F6CC.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

:wh: build

Maybe you can put that big twin of yours to use...

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Maybe you can put that big twin of yours to use...

It’s up on the rack soaking in oil.  Hopefully I’ll be able to get a full revolution out of the crank before I “need” it!  

• Like 1

Pullstart

Trimm’er here, drill’er there...

E5907D2A-04E4-46AE-BAD9-78C16C7BD4B4.jpeg

C1A2B28F-4F5D-42A8-975E-1AC8025CD323.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’m making pretty good progress today, in between teaching about improper factions, mixed numbers and reducing fractions.  See @WHX24 I’ve got a day job, just don’t pay for squat!

I need to build my window boxes and plan the trim in order to continue.  

7AD6D09F-C43F-41E1-9BAD-CA298117629C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’ve got a day job, just don’t pay for squat!

You have the best paying job known to man, spending quality time with your girls and being sure they are receiving a quality education.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Heart 3

Pullstart

Saturday night Jada helped me mix up some more mud and we finished the mortar bed.  We had enough left over mud to make a little stepping stone if it holds together.  The chicken coop occasionally gets sloppy in the weather so she likes to hop from block to block to gather eggs.

Today, I’ll sand some more drywall seams and see where additional mud is needed... then work on my window boxes.

04083294-4446-4DBA-9704-7B9709592C84.jpeg

1A5B7EA6-89D5-4F5F-AE84-374848D9993F.jpeg

A7880C3C-E16C-4E4B-AC6E-5B24DF3CE8AB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

i Have a couple panoramic pictures to upload, but they seem to be too large to upload with today’s connection.  Maybe later in a video...  I’m hoping to be finishing up this week, with any luck!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

While the bathroom is halfway decent as far as organization goes...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

mrshaft696

wow nice job so far, serious amount of work going into that... awesome urinal haha.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
50 minutes ago, mrshaft696 said:

wow nice job so far, serious amount of work going into that... awesome urinal haha.

This is my second home with one.  It all started with a sales rep telling me “If you can convince your wife to allow a urinal in your master bathroom, I’LL GIVE you one!”  That night, we started planning the bathroom project.  It was originally a family room that we gutted and rebuilt.  This one at least started as a bathroom, but we moved an inside wall 32” and began working.

19richie66

Looking good Kevin!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, 19richie66 said:

Looking good Kevin!

Thanks, I know you’ve had your share of bathroom remodel work!  Hey question...  I’ve done floor tile of course, but never walls.  Any tips from an experienced tile layer?  I know to back butter tiles in the same direction as the cement board... and I use the hard rubber spacers like any beginner would!

19richie66

Depending on the size of your tiles, I did about 2-3 rows up and let it setup overnight. My tiles were 18x18 so I didn’t want all that weight on fresh thinset. Just me. But 2 rows wiped out 3’ at a time👍

• Like 1

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Depending on the size of your tiles, I did about 2-3 rows up and let it setup overnight. My tiles were 18x18 so I didn’t want all that weight on fresh thinset. Just me. But 2 rows wiped out 3’ at a time👍

Mine are 6” x 24”.  I have a lot of wall space to do, probably working in rows around the bathroom will give it plenty of time to wear me out!

Edited by pullstart
Inches, not feet
  • Haha 2