Pullstart

Shop project...

Pullstart

So, at Uncle Jim’s plow day, Norman’s “new” lift pump died a little.  It had been making a lot of noise.  The manufacturer assured me that noise is a common complaint, but there is no worry there.  Little did we all know, the motor was absolutely filthy.  Upon tearing it apart, both magnets also broke.  Well, there’s no mystery now!

Air Dog does not sell replacement parts, but I can purchase a new upgraded pump with better bearings for something like $300 with a lifetime warranty.  I suppose that’s what I’ll do.  @Achto think we can just whack it with a ratchet again?  :ROTF:

BA387EA5-891D-4A7B-A4DF-65533267A6D8.jpeg

A8B5F2CA-E56B-4E6C-870F-4FA7360A39A2.jpeg

• Sad 1

Achto
58 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@Achto think we can just whack it with a ratchet again?  

Looks like it's time to whack it with a BFH....& then replace it.:ROTF:

Sucks to buy new parts & have them be a POS. I'm having that joy with the heads that I put on my Dakota. Put it all together & it runs great at an idle, even revs up decent. No power though.:( Leak down test shows 72% leakage on cyl 1 & 50% on cyl 6, both through the intake. May never trust buying reman parts on line again.:( Torn between making them warranty them or having my local machine shop rework them. ( should have had my heads redone at my local shop but I was trying to decrease down time) Live & learn I guess.:thumbs2:

Edited by Achto
  • Sad 3

WHX??

Was that a new unit Kev? I could see a little brush dust but that is filthy. 

I would have them warranty them Dan and ***** like an old lady that time of the month. Principle of the matter. Sides ain't like you ain't got a selection of trucks to borrow you need as far as down time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ZXT
24 minutes ago, Achto said:

Looks like it's time to whack it with a BFH....& then replace it.:ROTF:

Sucks to buy new parts & have them be a POS. I'm having that joy with the heads that I put on my Dakota. Put it all together & it runs great at an idle, even revs up decent. No power though.:( Leak down test shows 72% leakage on cyl 1 & 50% on cyl 6, both through the intake. May never trust buying reman parts on line again.:( Torn between making them warranty them or having my local machine shop rework them. ( should have had my heads redone at my local shop but I was trying to decrease down time) Live & learn I guess.:thumbs2:

That sucks! What engine? I'm guessing a 3.9 or a 318? 

2 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Was that a new unit Kev? I could see a little brush dust but that is filthy. 

I would have them warranty them Dan and ***** like an old lady that time of the month. Principle of the matter. Sides ain't like you ain't got a selection of trucks to borrow you need as far as down time. 

:text-yeahthat: They owe him a replacement set of heads, plus compensation for having them installed (have fun getting that out of them). The only problem with that is you never know if the replacements are any better than what they sent you the first time!

• Like 1

Pullstart

The pump wasn’t actually new, just new to me.  The PO of the Texas truck told me through Google Translate that the pump was only 1 year old.  It looks like it was 1 year at the bottom of the gulf.

• Sad 3

WHX??

Agreed ZXT.... how did you know they leaked throug the intake valves? So not the rings as supected? That would have been another whole can of worms! 

• Like 2

Achto
1 minute ago, ZXT said:

I'm guessing a 3.9 or a 318? 

4.7L non H.O. I purchased the reman heads from Cylinder Heads International. Didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling when I found a loose valve keeper in the bag with the Left head. All keepers were on the valves so I just inspected the right side real good & carried on. Later found a helicoil on the right head that was installed at about a 10 degree angle. It only holds the fuel injection rack down & is not crucial so again didn't make a big deal of it. Now after the valve leakage I'm really not happy.

• Sad 4

ZXT
1 minute ago, Achto said:

4.7L non H.O. I purchased the reman heads from Cylinder Heads International. Didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling when I found a loose valve keeper in the bag with the Left head. All keepers were on the valves so I just inspected the right side real good & carried on. Later found a helicoil on the right head that was installed at about a 10 degree angle. It only holds the fuel injection rack down & is not crucial so again didn't make a big deal of it. Now after the valve leakage I'm really not happy.

Ah. 4.7's are my least favorite Chrysler engine. What issues were you having that prompted a head replacement in the first place? Cracked I assume?

Sorry for hijacking your thread Kevin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Ah. 4.7's are my least favorite Chrysler engine. What issues were you having that prompted a head replacement in the first place? Cracked I assume?

It’s a public thread.  Things happen.  Sounds like a shop project to me Jonah :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

WHX??
5 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Don't worry about Kev ZXT ..... EB's missus takes care of my light work! :laughing-rolling:

So much for CHI's QA department eh Dan? This is why you should whine to them like no tommorow. 

• Haha 4

Pullstart

Question here.  @WHX24 @Achto @953 nut @Greentored @Redneckdavis (you still around buddy?) and all y’all old school hot rodder dudes....

Is there any amount of epoxy and clamping that will bring those magnets back from the dead?  This is a full time use pump, it never stops when the truck is running.

D1115396-0097-4D70-A66B-46992D38E639.jpeg

Achto
10 hours ago, ZXT said:

Burning coolant on cyl 8 to start with. Then spit the rocker arm off on cyl 7. That was one more issue I had with Cylinder Heads International. They put used valve lash adjusters in a set of heads that are known for throwing rocker arms. On one of the heads 6 of the 8 lash adjuster had no spring load to them. You could grab the adjuster and move it up & down with no resistance. I would not have that & installed 16 new Melling adjusters.

Edited by Achto
  • Sad 3

WHX??

Sucks that AD doen't offer parts. What were they held on to begin with? Is that where the noise and carnage came from? 

You might find a hight strenght epoxy that would work but things would half to be really clean. and small c clamps? 

• Like 1

Achto
9 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Is there any amount of epoxy and clamping that will bring those magnets back from the dead?

Sorry to say, but in my experience once the magnets break you are generally SOL.:(

• Thanks 1

Achto
15 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

This is why you should whine to them like no tommorow. 

As soon as I pull them back off & inspect them again then I will make my case with them.

• Like 1

Pullstart
7 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Sucks that AD doen't offer parts. What were they held on to begin with? Is that where the noise and carnage came from? 

You might find a hight strenght epoxy that would work but things would half to be really clean. and small c clamps? 

3 minutes ago, Achto said:

Sorry to say, but in my experience once the magnets break you are generally SOL.:(

I agree Jim that they don’t offer a parts dept... but it is what it is.

Dan I am planning a 40 hr round trip soon so no reason to half fix it and hope for the best.  I’ll unfortunately just get a new pump.

• Like 1

Achto
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’ll unfortunately just get a new pump.

Will be your safest plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

just get a new pump.

I think that is your best bet, no telling where you would be when the temporary repair gives out. Fix it now and forget about it. A few months from now you won't even remember how much it cost you, but if it put you on the roadside that would be a lasting memory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Ah .. I see now Kev one of the mags broke in half. ...yup yer done... :sad:

• Like 1

WHX??
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

if it put you on the roadside that would be a lasting memory.

The way he packs Richard story of his whole life we fear...sometimes I think he does what he does just for the challenges!  :lol:

It's all good....

• Haha 3

Pullstart

What’s the use of life if you ain’t livin’?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Greentored

Yep, me thinks might be best to get a new pump. 
Truthfully, have never been in a position like that, so no real world experience to know what does or doesn’t work. 
  We occasionally use a 2 part panel bonding adhesive in the shop that I’ve used for other purposes, and whatever you bond ain’t coming apart! Just not sure this would be the place to experiment. 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I called the shop this morning.  $219 for the exact same pump, $269 for one with double the bearings and more seals for longer life.  Both lifetime warranty.  Funny thing, he said the 4g or g4 or whatever better one was WAY better and should expect a good 8-10 years lifespan. But it’s the best and it’s lifetime warranty?!?  I opted for the better.  This doesn’t get driven in snow and salt, plus I opted to mount it inboard of the frame to get out of direct path from the front tire in rain, rocks, etc.

It’ll arrive Monday... we’re supposed to have our camper to Lake Okeechobee by Thursday. I’m not going to stress on it.  We’ll see how it all works out!

• Like 3

WHX??

Well that's not terrible then ..I would have figured it to be a grand plus. 

19richie66
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

we’re supposed to have our camper to Lake Okeechobee by Thursday. I’m not going to stress on it.  We’ll see how it all works out!

Lake Okeechobee........ if I was still in Florida I would come visit. Be sure to look up Rodney Burger while you down there. He has LOTS of stuff hoarded up down there by now. 👍 Have a safe trip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1