Pullstart

Shop project...

Pullstart

I figured it’s time to quit pushing the ole truck around the lot and maybe enjoy it.  It’s always had some problem that seemed like the thermostat was stuck closed... radiator was cool to the touch, engine seemed too hot, gauge read low.  When a freeze plug rusted out, I picked up a new plug and another t-stat.  Well, to my surprise the block was full of.... muddy rusty sludgy crap.  I was able to dig junk out as far as I could reach.  I’ve got an air gun set up to siphon liquid and made up a water/simple green mixture and blasted away. It was a filthy job, but needed to get out.  I drove a driver’s side plug out and it wasn’t near as bad but I blasted it out too. I used the hose with the freeze plugs out to flush through the radiator and out the plug holes, and repeated a few times.  Today I’ll run some “radiator cleaner” through it a few times.  I’m aware that this may plug my radiator, but I want to flush the block as good as I can.

47BC7EB9-1447-4F9C-9C96-F682373B04A5.jpeg

0BB72D22-444B-4C9B-B2D5-29DC8CA3B6B7.jpeg

69CA6DD1-20B5-4575-A174-ADCABE5CAEBD.jpeg

C658A540-7A30-4C52-8DD2-0F8ABA4FB8D2.jpeg

78A6B427-838F-4D4D-90EE-2DA8A66A3D99.jpeg

35380343-12D8-4AE9-9039-1F653B901B9E.jpeg

ebinmaine

I don't know how much trouble you want to go to Kevin but I've been known to take the top hose off of the radiator and leave the thermostat out and run the garden hose right into that to flush the engine

That way you're not running all that garbage through your radiator

Option 2. Back flush the radiator when you get done.

• Thanks 2

Pullstart

I’ve got 3 treatments worth, I ran two through today with the upper hose disconnected and the hose shoved in the radiator.  After running the stuff through the second time, I’m convinced I am good to go.  The filler neck is on the opposite side as the return I was filling and the cap was off to tell me both rad. tanks were full.  I believe I have good flow through the rad to maintain decent operating temp.  I have a couple rubbers to replace then I’ll drain the system and refill it with coolant.  It’ll need tires and eventually a new flywheel.  The clutch chatters pretty good when I’m easy on it.  If I spin the wheels a bit, it’s nice and smooth!

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’ve had this tire changer for a few years now, but tonight I dragged it out of storage.  This might not work well for front wheels, but hopefully it’ll break down and mount a 12 incher!

C5BFDC14-8230-4ABB-B4CB-AD89ED699222.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Oh, and that 110 octane fuel drum is long gone empty!  I can make sparks, it’ll be alright!

• Haha 4

Pullstart

I had to flip the rim to get both beads broken, but it works like a dream!  Maybe I’ll have to build an adapter plate to help break the bottom bead on a small wheel...

9EA000C7-857C-47D7-91E6-C92191632D1D.jpeg

FD0D02C3-C0E2-43CC-9F56-0BA69532DC34.jpeg

69540469-F598-4C32-BC8E-0AC13E7B00F8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ericj
25 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I had to flip the rim to get both beads broken, but it works like a dream!  Maybe I’ll have to build an adapter plate to help break the bottom bead on a small wheel...

9EA000C7-857C-47D7-91E6-C92191632D1D.jpeg

FD0D02C3-C0E2-43CC-9F56-0BA69532DC34.jpeg

69540469-F598-4C32-BC8E-0AC13E7B00F8.jpeg

I've wanted a tire changer for a long time, but unfortunately I don't have space for one. I do have a harbor freight one, but again no space to set it up, Iv'e got a plan to fix that one of these days though

eric j  

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
13 minutes ago, ericj said:

I've wanted a tire changer for a long time, but unfortunately I don't have space for one. I do have a harbor freight one, but again no space to set it up, Iv'e got a plan to fix that one of these days though

eric j  

Need to offload any tractors to make room?  I might be able to help with that in June :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 3

ericj
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Need to offload any tractors to make room?  I might be able to help with that in June :handgestures-thumbupright:

As a matter of fact, I'm trying to get several ready for sale now, How much do you like onan power tractors ????

eric j

• Confused 1

Pullstart
16 minutes ago, ericj said:

As a matter of fact, I'm trying to get several ready for sale now, How much do you like onan power tractors ????

eric j

Are they under round hoods?  :dance:

• Haha 3

ericj
16 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Are they under round hoods?  :dance:

I can make them round with a hammer LOL :hide:  :ROTF:

eric j

• Haha 3

ebinmaine

@ericj

We have a Harbor Freight larger manual tire changer that is bolted into the joist of my workshop shed. One of the best decisions in tools Trina has ever bought.

it isn't super recommended and can be a pain to work with but you can mount it to the top of a very heavy duty pallet that is stabilized to the ground.

Pullstart

They say that anything is for sale, for the right price.  A kid who works with my father in-law needs a transmission for his truck.  This 99 Chevy has 76,000 miles on the clock and the last 26,000 have been with a replacement (used) transmission.  The original has a broken sun shell and since I have freshened my transmission skills I figured I’d sell him my used trans and charge him a fair price for labor.  This truck needs a rearend, a few hoses and a full brake system replacement.... along with that sun shell in the original trans.  This week I’ll pull this trans, then wheel the truck back outside and bring his in to swap out.

B82E461A-3DA3-4265-A75F-6C271B3CA46D.jpeg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

This week I’ll pull this trans, then wheel the truck back outside and bring his in to swap out.

:popcorn:

Pullstart

Well, the donor trans is out, but not without fight or mess.  It had only been in for 26,000 miles, but might as well have never been pulled before.  It took quite a bit of elbow grease to separate the engine from the transmission.

Today I’ll clean up the mess, get this truck outside and get the customer truck inside.  Hopefully this time tomorrow I’ll have just one to put back together.

CA3E6322-88A9-4ED2-BFEB-5019915BD4AF.jpeg

175C7EBD-9BCC-4460-9C09-787F743BE754.jpeg

E0E88B00-B673-457C-9973-724D029E80DF.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

I never posted the picture of me dripping with transmission fluid on last night’s pull, but today’s is creating less mess on the floor so far!  I might just hafta’ get that picture from my father in-law...

EAC26E65-B177-4879-B74B-FAF8E4C8F354.jpeg

42F8DDF2-145F-4CD7-B6FE-46CC01E4E549.jpeg

A580B020-6A89-4C2C-8398-F08FDBA97D6E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Here’s my method of flushing the cooler of any debris.  Third and maybe 4th were slipping and fluid levels were low when draining the system.  To get the friction material and burnt fluid out, I spray brake clean into one line, then use a rubber nozzled blow gun to force the cleaning agent into the drain pan.  Note to all (self), keep a loose rag around the end of the discharge line.  It’ll keep the mess down.

09F50BAA-3952-46F7-9522-369C2972CEE3.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

might just hafta’ get that picture from my father in-law...

Ohh yeah ya dooo

Pullstart

The trans is bolted in!  The hardest part of all this is getting the transmission from the bench onto the jack.  I’ll have to fashion a better lifting mechanism if I keep these up.

197D461A-E521-48A0-BD53-56C95FB133AC.jpeg

ebinmaine

Guys in shops I've seen in the past have done a few different things.

Chain Falls in different locations in the shop is a handy way to go from crate or low dolly up to high dolly.

If your transmission jack is the type that has a flat surface like a big plate and the transmission pan basically just sits on that ... You can wheel it over beside the bench and use your belt line to hold the Jack and place and pull the transmission in a sliding motion on to the transmission jack.

I've also seen them use an engine crane to pick it up and roll it around the shop.

that one is a bit time-consuming but very handy because you can go from ground surface to several feet high. More variability than a lot of other systems.

another less common but more modern option would be to maybe go to the local CrossFit gym and pick out a couple of the larger Folk. Offer them payment in protein and BCAA and you can't lose.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Worth it in the pocket book?  Nope.  That I helped a young man trying to make it to work on time every day?  Absolutely.

B5D2358F-56F3-47A6-8493-95E56C6D8531.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Most of you know what these things around this axle are, I’m sure.  Maybe this picture should be in the Whatizitz thread!  Today’s project is fixing the drum brakes on my FIL’s ‘13 GMC. The oddity is that it’s a heavier GVW than my ‘99 Chevy, but my ‘99 has disc brakes and the ‘13 has drums!  These are the first brake systems we learned about in auto shop, and number one rule is to only do one side at a time!

96C32B8D-BC7C-4BDB-80BC-C9DBBE9E4623.jpeg

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
16 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Most of you know what these things around this axle are, I’m sure.  Maybe this picture should be in the Whatizitz thread!  Today’s project is fixing the drum brakes on my FIL’s ‘13 GMC. The oddity is that it’s a heavier GVW than my ‘99 Chevy, but my ‘99 has disc brakes and the ‘13 has drums!  These are the first brake systems we learned about in auto shop, and number one rule is to only do one side at a time!

96C32B8D-BC7C-4BDB-80BC-C9DBBE9E4623.jpeg

'07-13 GM went back to rear drums as the the backing plates and rotors wore down rusted out ect...my '14 has rear discs once again...also I believe '03-4 the cheaper (W/T) versions like my '06 1500 V6 has drums as well...:think:.

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

'07-13 GM went back to rear drums as the the backing plates and rotors wore down rusted out ect...my '14 has rear discs once again...also I believe '03-4 the cheaper (W/T) versions like my '06 1500 V6 has drums as well...:think:.

This is surprisingly clean inside.... they might have been onto something having drums still on the trucks.  My rear disc setups all rust real quick up in MI.

Pullstart

The wheel cylinders need to be bled, but everything went together smooth.  No knuckles busted today!  Notice the driver’s side has a broken leaf.  That’ll be handled next.

988B0FDE-FE1D-415D-B270-AB090B4048BB.jpeg

50C7E541-2C1E-4DFA-9030-68B3E86A9CED.jpeg

• Like 1