Pullstart

Shop project...

Pullstart

And now I turn the page.  I’ve needed to replace the sun shell in this 4L60E for about 4-5 years.  It’s a ‘99 Chevy 1500 with 76,000 miles on the ticker.  If all goes well, it’ll be my winter daily driver soon, then I’ll have Norman for the summer time.  Then I can sell my 2020 and get out of payments on my vehicle!

While I’m in here, I have a shift kit,wide band, and might eventually do the Corvette servo.  It’s back ordered so I am just doing what I can.

8766D2E4-6C64-4212-86C8-EA95354034DF.jpeg

A5DAA689-D7B3-43A0-87B8-F1B14FC8A1BF.jpeg

• Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H
14 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Then I can sell my 2020 and get out of payments on my vehicle!

What? I know payments suck! But seems every time I paid 1 off I ended up spending more $$$ keeping it running than the payments were, case in point that 06 of mine has now been determined (by certified mechanics) to be the ECM went bad 1 month after I paid it off go figure :deadhorse:.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Sad 5

Pullstart

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

@WVHillbilly520H Yeah, I’m tired of 3 years of payments unfortunately.  I sold the ZR2 Colorado hours before signing on the Silverado.  I wish I would have just walked away from signing again.  I LOVE the truck, can’t stand the payments any more.  I can do a lot of stuff on older vehicles for the amount I pay every month.  Besides, I’ve got a deal in the works that I need to be saving pennies for soon.  Something they don’t make more of every day, and not a tractor.

• Like 4

Pullstart

I got the most of the shift kit done yesterday.  In the instructions it very strongly suggests replacing the forward piston and accumulator piston.  I called the supply house and they have both in stock, 12 bucks out the door.  C’mon guys, tell me that when I’m there!  I’ll spend more than $12 to get there and back.  :scratchead:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

, 12 bucks out the door.  

Man that's a tough price to complain about

• Haha 3

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Man that's a tough price to complain about

I know.  I’ll be into this build less than $300 to have a pretty dang stout slushbox.

• Excellent 3

Pullstart

I am unsure where this project will end up long term, but I plan to get the blue truck we dubbed “The Cadillac” going.

After winter’s over... or even during, the ideas are endless.  I’d love to solid axle swap the red truck frame (currently 2wd) with a Ford style Dana 44 or 60 (it’s been a while) I have or even find a later model Dodge front axle then bring the power train and associated wiring over from the blue one.  A 5.3L powered 2500HD sounds silly, but not with an intercooled turbo.  This would yield me a clean southern bodied 4wd, heavier capability and a true 4th door.  The blue truck being a ‘99 only has one functional back door.  Of course, the Texas body is the right color for hauling Horses too!

684EED15-424F-4E20-9E4D-4AED08AD47F6.jpeg

8DAA0DD4-75BB-40C2-ADA9-197071C6E561.jpeg

• Like 4

Achto
47 minutes ago, pullstart said:

A 5.3L powered 2500HD sounds silly

Now haven't we talked about "No replacement for displacement" ??? :lol: It's "Fat guy in a little coat" not the other way around.:ychain::lol:  Just kidding Kevin. On the topic of boost. Wouldn't a super charger be a better option? No waiting for the turbo to spool up. Hummmm. :eusa-think: I know the blower cost more, but is it really more after you figure in the intercooler, plumbing, etc.?

I commend you for reworking that slush box. That is one realm of wonder that I have never pursued. Which is kinda surprising because I sure destroyed enough of them in my younger years. Instead of learning how to fix them, I just became really good at changing them. :D The biggest hop up that I have ever done to an AT was pull the torque converter out of Vega's so that I could have a low $ stall on my TH350 tranny's.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Now haven't we talked about "No replacement for displacement" ??? :lol: It's "Fat guy in a little coat" not the other way around.:ychain::lol:  Just kidding Kevin. On the topic of boost. Wouldn't a super charger be a better option? No waiting for the turbo to spool up. Hummmm. :eusa-think: I know the blower cost more, but is it really more after you figure in the intercooler, plumbing, etc.?

I commend you for reworking that slush box. That is one realm of wonder that I have never pursued. Which is kinda surprising because I sure destroyed enough of them in my younger years. Instead of learning how to fix them, I just became really good at changing them. :D The biggest hop up that I have ever done to an AT was pull the torque converter out of Vega's so that I could have a low $ stall on my TH350 tranny's.

The Texas truck being a turbo machine already has a pretty impressive sized intercooler.  I also have a ton of piping from the diesel, if I can use it.  It’s feasible to make 600 hp on a stock bottom end 5.3L, or most any other LS.  There’s a slight chance I can get my patties on a 6.0L as well, but it’s a far cry and I don’t think it’ll matter in the long run.  As far as blower vs turbo, I might appreciate the slight lag or at least the transmission will!  At the end of the day, a 450 hp 5.3 is very easy to achieve and would still be all kinds of streetable fun.

• Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H

My 14 Silverado is 355hp stock and with a CAI , cat back exhaust and a tune can hit right at 385+ at the flywheel, so I'm sure 450+ is easy with a compressor, that Gen 1 SBC in the Malibu NA is 575hp at the crank.

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

That’s far enough tonight!  Gotta work in the morning!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

41A565C2-B5E7-4A25-AB64-F08812B494C8.jpeg

• Like 4

Pullstart

• Excellent 1

Achto

Not trying to sway you to a super charger but I found this kit from Edelbrock that I thought was very interesting. Under $600 with a 3yr 36k warranty that not only covers their kit but also any damage that may be done to the engine, transmission, or rear end as a result of installation. It looks like the kit requires an addition of a  different fuel pump also.

https://www.autoanything.com/superchargers-turbochargers-intercoolers/77A6088A6933547.aspx?kc=GOOGADW&DZID=PLA_g_1776971901_68269792999_10180-6088-8980877_c&utm_source=g&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1776971901&utm_content=68269792999&utm_product=10180-6088-8980877&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInPq534-K7gIVgaGGCh0_8Ae8EAQYAiABEgJJv_D_BwE

• Thanks 2

PeacemakerJack

Way to go Dan—now you have me thinking about putting one on old Warrior once I complete my LQ4 6.0L install next spring/ summer.🤔  As if doubling my horsepower from the old tired 350TBI isn’t enough of an increase😁😂😎.

I’m enjoying watching this build come together Kevin and I can’t wait to take a ride in the finished result one of these days.  However you finish it, I know it will be functional, durable, and definitely a little raucous😉

• Like 1

Pullstart

Thanks Dan!  I should probably focus on the needs before wants though :D

• Haha 3

Achto
15 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Thanks Dan!  I should probably focus on the needs before wants though :D

Understood. After going back & reading the fine prints, that kit is only for the fuel pump. The pictures and descriptions seem only to be there for deception.:unsure: The Tag on the full kit is over $6500:o. Not a practical price at all.:(

Edited by Achto
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

PeacemakerJack

That keeps it from being a “temptation” for me—too rich for my blood (well for a 26 year old work truck anyway🥴).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

• Like 2

seven

I'm wishing I have half that shop when I retire

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, seven said:

I'm wishing I have half that shop when I retire

It is very nice, probably more than I deserve.  

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

It is very nice, probably more than I deserve.  

I believe you deserve ALL of it and then some. 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Catching up, I am hoping to hear it run tonight.