Coulter Caleb

The 854--Comanche

PeacemakerJack
2 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

How did you seal the 2-piece tank? New gasket and permatex?

Thanks. We cheated on the tank.  We have the factory tank on the shelf in the garage and installed a 1 piece tank from our man @Lane Ranger!  One of these days we will reseal the two piece but for now...a one piece tank it is.   

• Like 2

71_Bronco
12 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Thanks. We cheated on the tank.  We have the factory tank on the shelf in the garage and installed a 1 piece tank from our man @Lane Ranger!  One of these days we will reseal the two piece but for now...a one piece tank it is.   

Nice. I have a 2 piece that I need to fix the threaded hole on (where the hood screws go in). I was thinking about revealing it at the same time while it was off, two birds one stone deal.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Sounds like a good plan to me.  I’m assuming you saw @pullstart‘s thread on that a year or two ago.  I don’t remember if that was for “Frank” or one of the other machines but I know he did a good writeup on the resealing process.  Lots of guys chimed in with their experiences as well.  Good luck.

Pullstart
On 10/11/2020 at 11:24 AM, 71_Bronco said:

Nice. I have a 2 piece that I need to fix the threaded hole on (where the hood screws go in). I was thinking about revealing it at the same time while it was off, two birds one stone deal.

Hey Nick,

I used the KBS system for Frank’s tank.  We had cut and welded the bottom flush with the hood lines and that tank metal is garbage to weld, so the sealer system it is!  I would recommend this even with the 2 piece tank and leave the bolts just where they are.  As for fixing the threaded hole in the tank for the hood, @AMC RULES would agree that the two part PC-7 is a great help!  You can press it in there, inlay a 1/4-20 nut carefully and let it set up.  The trick to preventing those from pulling or stripping out is to use short bolts for the hood.  That cavity is fairly shallow and a long bolt will break the tank about every time.

• Like 1