mikeeyre74

‘69 Charger mower deck lift rod squashed..

mikeeyre74
Bent this...

What did I do wrong here? I don’t really need downpressure on a mower deck, but I found that out the hard way when I put this on for the first time and lowered the deck, only to (briefly) lift the tractor into the air by doing so before the lift rod gave up the ghost. 

mikeeyre74

I read the manual, but it didn’t seem to address this adjustment... 

ztnoo

Off the top of my head, I'd say your hydraulic cylinder has more travel than what is need to lift or lower the deck.

That's the way my GT 14 cylinder is......way more travel than I need to do the job.

Once the deck gets lifted, if the cylinder keeps moving, the weakest link in the system is the lift rod, and it eventually bends.

Mine on my GT was bent and I replace it.

Now I watch to see when the deck quits lifting and take my hand off the control valve lever, thus stopping the cylinder from traveling farther.

mikeeyre74

That’s exactly what’s happening on this one, but I think the machine they can twist it self into a pretzel and break itself probably was not designed that way…  I am sure that I probably have the wrong Lift rod or something… Just gonna wait to see what other responses I get from the fellows here.  I’m sure that this is probably the wrong piece. 

Racinbob

There shouldn't be a nut under the trunnion. It should allow the rod to slide up. :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo

@Racinbob,

I believe you are right.

I didn't notice that in the pic.

Good call!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

daveoman1966

I also have a Bronco 14, but with a new  style deck on it.  In your case, try moving the trunion mounting to hole closer to the rear of the tractor.  

There is a longer 5/8" dia lift rod too, that is pre-bent to handle the load and avoid hitting the lower steering shaft mount.  I have one....will; be back shortly to show a pic of it.

mikeeyre74

Thanks fellows. I’ve never had one of these old school decks before. Still learning...

• Like 1

mikeeyre74
Not the first one...

So closer inspection while I was unbending this one shows it was not the first time it got smashed like this.  Somebody else wielded this back together once before at least. 

This one is about 9 inches long from tip to tail… is that correct? 

And I have removed the nut that was holding it from sliding down, thus preventing it from applying down pressure now. 

Half nut

I can also tell by this custom “half nut“  that whoever was in here, did this on purpose.  Weird. 

daveoman1966
On 6/19/2018 at 1:27 PM, mikeeyre74 said:

I read the manual, but it didn’t seem to address this adjustment... 

I thought this lift bar was 5/8 dia, but not.  It is 3/8" dia but is OEM....with the bend in it.  This MAY solve your problem, if it is long enough.

Yours for $22 bux Paypal

As a 2nd thought, MAYBE the Flat Lift Bar can be flipped end to end to put the lift hole to the rear of the deck....allowing the use of a straight lift rod and trunion.  (see last 2 pics)

rod 005.JPG

rod 004.JPG

0727- 002a.jpg

0727- 003.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966

mikeeyre74

Wait... That thing was *supposed* to be bent? What the... I just straightened it out afree it got squashed! 😂

Sarge

Some of the mid-60's models used a bent lift rod to clear the battery box - my 1277 was designed this way and that rod was still necessary when I switched it to the early 1980's deck. It does seem that those 37" decks have a lot of parts that are specific to them - I'd study the drawings very closely.

Sarge

mikeeyre74

Mine is 42" on the side discharge. 

While digging through the archives here, I found a manual for a 1968 model that was just like mine that even addressed the factory modification to the cut height issue I was having.. the adjustment handle being hidden under the floorboards. 

Drawing...

In either case part #25 in this drawing for my deck is shown to ba straight rod with a sliding trunion. It'll go back together this way and we'll see how she works then.