Bill D

My friends new 312-8

Bill D

A friend of mine picked up his first Wheel Horse. It is a 1998 312-8, Model 73428,  S/N 8900145.  It has about 650 hours and came with a 37 inch deck and bagger.  It will need some minor work, including replacemnt of the front axle.  I have couple of questions about this model as it is different from my 80's vintage machines.  First what length belt does the deck take?  Second are there any known problems with the Kohler Command engine that I should be aware of?  Is the drive belt the same as other machines with the K and Magnum engines?   The gas spring for the clutch was shot so we went back to tho old style clutch spring.  Anything else specific to this model and year that I should be aware of as I help him fix it up?  Thanks.        

gwest_ca

Bit of info including the tractor drive belt on this page. Click on the picture.

Mower drive belt on this page. Click on the picture.

Garry

Ed Kennell

One common problem with all the tractors with the fuel tank under the seat.

The lower fuel tank allows the fuel to drain back into the tank over time....most of the fuel pumps are not drop tight.

This can result in hard starting due to the fuel pump losing it's prime.

Some solutions to this problem are:

1. fill the tank after each use...the fuel level will be above the fuel pump

2. install a 1/4 turn petcock in the fuel line and turn off after use.

3. install a marine type primer bulb in the fuel line to prime the fuel pump

4. install an electric fuel pump

• Like 1

doc724

I have a 1998 314.  I have no problems with the position of the fuel tank and it starts fine (probably because it is only 20 years old).  Not so much with my 40 year old C141.  Have to keep the tank half full on that one especially if it is not used for 2-3 weeks.

Other than an oil leak on the PTO side of the engine, (since fixed), I have had no other problems with this motor.  As far as I know the drive belt is the same.  My gas clutch spring gave up the ghost this past summer.  I just added the traditional spring.  Gotta be real careful though, pop that clutch and you will lift the front off the ground.

Only negative to the newer tractors is all the safety switches and etc.  The positive is that my spouse cannot drive it with the parking brake on. :-)

Jerry77
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

install an electric fuel pump

:text-yeahthat:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• JoeA
      By JoeA
      Hi First post looking for a cutting deck for an early 90's 312-8
      Serial number 3112K801  11877

How big of a deck can I use ? 
      The original deck was a side discharge ? (42 I think ) 
      In addition to the deck I need the assembly for the pulley assembly for the front of the tractor. 

Does anyone have a picture they can post of the correct deck ? 
      Are these parts available new ? 

Thank You for your help 
      Joe 
      Denver NC

• Bexter207
      By Bexter207
      So I was using my tractor 312 WH and it just all of a sudden died out. I first thought it ran out of fuel going to check that fuel was fine. So I made sure the line was clear and that fuel was able to get to the filter. I checked the spark plug change that out and check the oil which also looks fine. It acts like it wants to start but it won't stay running. When I check the fuses one of them was destroyed and actually melted into the fuse block. This is what it looked like below. I got a new fuse and a different fuse holder just to try to see if. Still nothing. I know it has to be something that was before that fuse that either overloaded it or that that fuse was messed up in that fuse holder somehow and it kept grounding out. when I got the tractor they told me it had a new battery in it but it was dying every now and then on me and I thought that was kind of weird so I assumed there was a loose ground somewhere. I don't know if it was in that fuse or not but it kind of makes sense due to the way that the fuse looks. 

I thought I'd try here first to see what any of you had for me to try. I mean I'm not scared of Chase and wires and try and things out I just thought of someone knew of something that I could check write-off and I would try. The wire color going to that fuse was purple or Violet which ever. Anyway any help is appreciated.

• Bill D
      By Bill D
      Hi,

I have a cracked seat support on my tractor.  Does anyone have pictures of how they have repaired or beefed up this area?  I did see a thread regarding repairs but I am trying to figure out how to beef up this area without causing problems for myself when reinstalling the belt gard and other covers.  Thanks.

Bill
    • Bexter207
      By Bexter207
      So I have a 312 Wheel Horse. I have the Snow Blower attached and it was working great. I was using it last night when all of a sudden I heard a bang up near the the blower. I quickly disengaged the PTO lifter the blower and backed up to see if I had hit something. After inspecting i found that i did not hit anything. So I started clearing out any snow I realized nothing was stuck and the shear pins were still good. The augers had the normal amount of play. So I fired it back up and tried to engage the pto again it kind of bogged down and stalled out the engine almost. So I drove it to where i had better light. I could not see anything wrong still so I decided to try to engage it one more time to see if I could see anything. Well it started throwing so I decided to test it out and it worked fine. Then as I was going along it just stopped throwing again. So I don't know what it is. I plan on taking a look at the gearbox when I get home to make sure that's all set. Just thought I would check to see if any of you have suggestions of what I could check.
    • Hoffertot
      By Hoffertot
      Hello fellow Wheel Horse fans,

I have owned a 312-8 for a few years now, and it has been very good to me. The unit was obviously purchased used, and at the time of purchase I didn't notice that the 42" deck that came with it was much older than the mower. The deck I have has always been pretty junkie, but now started to have some actual issues. The center double "D" pulley has rounded out, and a spindle has broken. I have been looking into getting repair parts, or just buying a different deck all together since i can't find very reasonably priced ones. So here is where the question comes in.

I have found a reasonably priced unit in the area for sale that is a 516-H model. So a little larger engine, year or 2 newer, a 48" working deck, and hydrostatic would be a nice upgrade for me, but it sounds like this model was considered undesirable. Is this just because of the technology that was starting to exist at the time of it's release, or was it considered to not be that great of a machine? My 312 has about 1800 hours, and the mower itself runs great. The 516 apparently does not have working gauges at the moment, and burns some oil.

Any opinions on what you guys would do in this situation? Any opinions between the 12HP Koehler  and the 16HP Onan engines?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.