r1jakecfd

P220G Stator Output Voltage OK? OEM or Aftermarket Voltage Regulator

Hi Guys,

I know my voltage regulator is bad on my Onan P220 and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on a replacement, OEM or aftermarket? 

Also, I checked my stator leads for AC Voltage and got about 25 volts at 3600 rpm on each. Is this OK? I know it says in the 40’s.

Thanks guys

25VAC is on the low side, but it should keep the battery charged if you haven't added  aux. lights.   I have used the $20 JUNGLE regs and never had a problem.

• Like 2

You said you have 25 volts on each lead. Are checking with one probe on one lead and the other to ground? You should be checking the voltage across both leads. Red probe on one lead, black on the other. Make sure the meter is in the AC mode.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, rmaynard said:

You said you have 25 volts on each lead. Are checking with one probe on one lead and the other to ground? You should be checking the voltage across both leads. Red probe on one lead, black on the other. Make sure the meter is in the AC mode.

That was silly! I tested each lead to ground! Will check both but I assume the stator’s fine. I know I have a bad ac leg in the voltage regulator.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anvil
      Gentlemen, You have been very helpful in the past for answering my questions. I am looking at a used 520H that the serial # info was sanded off to paint the pan. This machine has a PTO to Mule Drive plastic cover, no hour meter, foot pads that are not the fine ribbed type but have the wide grooves with buttons holding them down. The lower control knobs are not round but bulb shaped black plastic. The 3 gauges say Toro on them. The top right gauge is a blank black plastic filler. The steering wheel is a three spoke, heavy on the bottom and the wheel is "fat". The mule drive does not have the heavy curved metal shield over the pulleys-possibly a casualty of replacement at one time. The hood is louvered like my 417.
    • By jmdavidh09
      1994 60" deck.
      Very solid, includes chute, correct mule & good belts.
      New blades with 2 mowings.
      Bearings all good, etc.
      I have two other 60's and only one remaining tractor so this is the odd one out.

Paint is faded...I've had it indoors for 3yrs but original owner stored under a car port. 

Asking $450obo and I would consider trading toward a cab.

I am willing to meet a buyer.

• By mmmmmdonuts
      I am looking for a 1991 520 rear hub. I believe it is P/N 105763-03. I know I can get it new for around $90 but wanted to see if anyone had one. The one I have is wallowed out the key ring. Located outside of Albany, NY. Thanks.
    • By MS GENERAL REPAIR
      Part 1 of John Deere STX Lawn Tractor Repair Video Series.
      The Engine won't crank.

• By JNMULL
      Good morning, I have been a long time reader, but a first time poster. 

I have a 1988 Wheel Horse 520HC Tractor.  Does not charge, and I have to assume that it is due to the fuse at the front of the engine being blown.  However if I replace the fuse that is located at the front of the engine, the wire at the voltage regulator will get hot, start to smoke as it melts the wires insulation.

I have not started testing anything yet, as I just have stumbled upon this issue and was wondering if anyone else has had the same style of problem and what kind of repair did you have to perform.

Thanks.