ebinmaine

What do you do to every new tractor you acquire?

ebinmaine

What are the parts you always change? Spark plug. Wire. Fuel line.

The little things you always do? The certain areas you always check?

What size is the fuel line on a 1974 c-160?

I will change the engine oil and 8 speed transmission fluid. Anything else?

• Like 2

rmaynard

It all depends on the condition at the time of acquisition. Some require more than others, but I always drain the fuel tank and fill with non-ethanol gas.

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher

ebinmaine Rear seals in tranny if need be. Run some Sea Foam thru a tank of gas to see if carb is ok or rebuild. Clean all grease and dirt off every where to check for crakes and wear. And buy Fuel injection line about $4.50 a foot. grease everything. Check all gaskets. some of the hot spots.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

grinchsr

Oil or grease anything that moves.  Change all fluids.  Clean fuel tank and replace fuel shut off.  Replace fuel hose and filter.

• Like 3

Racinbob

To answer your question, the fuel line is 1/4". Unless it's needs obvious attention I change the oil in the engine and trans, grease it up and then use it a bit to determine what it needs. No sense changing stuff if it doesn't need it. :)

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, cpete1 said:

OH-h-h-h I should of never clicked on this website.... what was I thinking.... I have to take some aspirin and lay down...

:wacko:

Chris

HAHAHAHAHA  !!!!!!

Right there with ya Chris, old buddy old pal. I joined this horrific place back in May and I've been trying to cope ever since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I normally doe new fuel lines / filter to from tank to engine. Besides a variety of things that were mentioned.

Glenn

• Like 2

WHX??

Give it a bath :chores-mop:

• Like 5

dells68
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

HAHAHAHAHA  !!!!!!

Right there with ya Chris, old buddy old pal. I joined this horrific place back in May and I've been trying to cope ever since.

What about those of us that have been around for at least 5 or more years?  There's something seriously wrong with all of us!  I guess that's why we all get along so well!  Crazy bunch of :wh: addicts!:ROTF:

6 hours ago, Racinbob said:

To answer your question, the fuel line is 1/4". Unless it's needs obvious attention I change the oil in the engine and trans, grease it up and then use it a bit to determine what it needs. No sense changing stuff if it doesn't need it. :)

Exactly what I was thinking Bob.  I like to get them going good and be able to do a good shakedown to see what, if anything needs my attention.

5 hours ago, ol550 said:

Try to see where I can store it.

That's where I am right now.  I've seen several lately that I would like to have, but I know I don't have room, time, and there are other things that need my cash right now.  I've just got to keep telling myself that!!

• Haha 4

953 nut
5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

buy a lot of non running tractors and the first thing I do is try to get the engine running.

Like Ed I usually buy projects, but like to see what works and what won't. I have a couple of years worth of projects now so putting them under roof is a major accomplishment, I never even attempted to start the one I bought from A-Z Tractor last year, Lincoln said it runs and drives and that is good enough for me.

3 hours ago, cpete1 said:

should of never clicked on this website.... what was I thinking...

Your name looks good in RED!        :text-bravo:

28 minutes ago, dells68 said:

There's something seriously wrong with all of us!

5a60effccc7ab_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.e95baf0aac4f97e690367e0a0a3d72a0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Try to hide the tractor before the wife see it . Getting hard to do unless I purchase large tarps.

Luckily my honey will put up with pretty nearly anything. Proof is in the fact that she returns to our home every night.

She claims she actually - enjoys - being around me. I may never understand that but I also will never try to understand that.

I have long been a subscriber to the notion that it is far easier to ask for forgiveness then it is to beg for permission.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

squonk

Caz nailed it ! :)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, formariz said:

Not quite the answer to your question but priorities come first:

#1--- Plan on how to get it home without wife seeing it

#2---Plan where to hide it so it does not attract her attention

#3-- Keep moving all the others so she can not count them

#4---Keep grandchildren from ratting me out

#5-- Avoid all tractor talk with children and friends

#6-- Prepare for the inevitable

Whoa. . Whoa. ..Whoa  !!!

Ladies and gentlemen. Boys and girls. Children of all ages. I've read a lot of posts on this here forums site and I've learned a lot of really neat stuff but I gotta tell you this one here might be the most forethought and genius idea I've ever seen. Number three. That is just absolutely fantastic!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I had at most at once 5 :wh:, 3 were the same model (520H) and 2 xi series, most she (wife) ever thought I had was 3 because they were nearly identical, till I sold 3 and she couldn't figure out why people kept showing up at the house and taking tractors away but the "shed" didn't empty out, keep that in mind when hoarding (I mean collecting red tractors), till you break down and buy another shiny brand new red tractor that doesn't quite look or sound the same :ROTF:...oh my it's almost time for night school :text-imsorry: 10 hours in, wait 3 hours, then school for 3 more hour before I get to go home...good luck Eric, Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

chip61

I sit and wonder why I bought another one when I haven't really had time to work on the ones I already have-I got them all running, but I have yet to tear one down to clean it up and paint it. Oh well, maybe one of these days!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pollack Pete

Just buy so many tractors that no one,including me,can keep track of them.Last count for me was 70 or 80 Wheel Horse's When one or two more show up,the property here doesn't look any different.Seriously though,the Squaw supports all my hobbies 100%.

• Like 6

Sarge
On 1/18/2018 at 9:07 AM, cpete1 said:

I'm not buying any more tractors because:

I haven't even done a restoration and now after seeing all the excellent work here, I don't know if I'll pass muster.

Even the technical info is off the scale, just checked Sarge's write-up on welders. My god, I'm at a loss...

Rotten miserable people here, No professionalism, mean, nasty remarks, unfriendly people

(Every time I look in a new forum I find out something else or an idea that's off the scale good)

OH-h-h-h I should of never clicked on this website.... what was I thinking.... I have to take some aspirin and lay down...

:wacko:

Chris

Uh, sorry....?

Guess you'd better not check up on that thread - I just wrote an eye bleeder, maybe I should edit/delete it?

Sarge

• Haha 1

mikeeyre74

The best trick I ever learned is not to even bring it home before it's been through the car wash, twice. Everything I get seems to be so much better looking and easier to assess after two (!) blasts through the power wash station. After that, a big pet peeve of mine is fuel lines and filters. I have so much trouble with fuel delivery on old machines, it's absurd... 

• Like 3

Pollack Pete
11 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

fuel lines and filters. I have so much trouble with fuel delivery on old machines,  

That's the first thing I do too.I buy 25 foot rolls of 1/4 in.gas hose at Napa.Always have a supply of in-line fuel filters too.I've seen old gas line so brittle that I couldn't even fold it in half to stuff in the trash can.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

The best trick I ever learned is not to even bring it home before it's been through the car wash, twice. Everything I get seems to be so much better looking and easier to assess after two (!) blasts through the power wash station. After that, a big pet peeve of mine is fuel lines and filters. I have so much trouble with fuel delivery on old machines, it's absurd... 

Love the idea of a powerwash but I won't have a hitch to tow with til spring. (Tractor is being delivered to me)

I've had such luck with fuel lines I've stopped using black rubber and switched to yellow Tygon. More resistant to additives and I can see through it.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:10 AM, Ed Kennell said:

non running tractors

The one I'm getting runs well and will drive well after I change a front tire.

There's a large crack/gash in it so filling with air is a bit of a challenge.