Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ranger

Maybe something like this might work? 2-7/16” diameter body, 2-1/2” over bezel. Just run cable along the channel, it works through induction made in the USA, (at least mine was). Very slim chance of shorting out, due to no direct connection! Scale is a bit high, but maybe there are others?17C6DF1C-2283-4443-9BD0-2D444C84F2A9.jpeg.e2a3c8c05d74d1768c13ddbc3a6a5cf3.jpeg14D03A9E-FC15-46E3-872C-354DD020C205.jpeg.cad0e57d05719fed588fffa7f2c13ed3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

sjoemie himself
1 hour ago, Tractorhead said:

Maybe something like this 2“ gauges be interesting?

marine-discount24.com/faria-chesapeake-ss-white-drehzahlmesser-0-6000-u-min-1.html

Thank you. I have seen gauges like that. The only thing that worries me is that they are suited for 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines. Since my Murray is a boxer (2 cylinder) i'm not sure that will work? :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

lynnmor
33 minutes ago, ranger said:

Maybe something like this might work? 2-7/16” diameter body, 2-1/2” over bezel. Just run cable along the channel, it works through induction made in the USA, (at least mine was). Very slim chance of shorting out, due to no direct connection! Scale is a bit high, but maybe there are others?17C6DF1C-2283-4443-9BD0-2D444C84F2A9.jpeg.e2a3c8c05d74d1768c13ddbc3a6a5cf3.jpeg

Without reading all the posts, I guess you are trying to measure the charging current on your tractor.  That gauge will only move within the first lines from zero.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Of all things to happen mowing today - guess what my dog point screw came loose on my Toro 314 -8 !  

I tried putting it back in by removing shifter plate and guess what the dog point screw bent tightening g it up and it wasn’t in the shifter hole! 

Ah what next!  My supply of 1 inch long 1/4 x 20 dog point screws was depleted!  Ordered twenty  more from McMaster Carr ( I will bring some to sell cheap at the Big Show).   

So where to get one?  None at the local Ace Hardware!   Ah,  what about the RJ trans sitting on the floor?

About 3/4 so I put two lock nuts on the end and used a 7/16 wrench to get it correctly in the shifter handle. 

Finished mowing!  

4EEBF8BB-E499-4F01-9C4F-5DD63015C230.jpeg

65F12D32-E119-42A1-AB67-6368FCFFC6A7.jpeg

44352B5D-0459-4495-AC57-0D1442A23B7A.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

The ammeter shall be strong enough for a Wheelhorse Starter

The combo ammeter/voltmeter was an idea for my 854 rebuild. I have a working ammeter (standard WH) and was looking to upgrade to dual function in a single panel space but what I envisioned doesn't exist. Few makers use analog ammeters in new equipment and definitely not with a voltmeter in the same instrument. Plus, all the not-insanely-priced digital ammeters I've found only detect flow in one direction (charge or discharge). Apparently their main use is monitoring power draw in electronics.

I'm doing a custom dash anyway so I'll redesign it to have a second hole for a modestly priced 2" voltmeter (there is already a spot for the hyperdrive lever). I decided on a custom dash because I'm using a 701 gas tank which does not have a dash built in as the 854 did. I don't need the 701's usual key and starter button since the 854 already has the key start in the lower dash so buying a reproduction 701 dash (beautiful and available from Lowell) would make little sense. (The 854 tank got torqued in a crash and was seeping fuel and I just didn't want to deal with trying to fix it.)

Addendum: The normal WH ammeter doesn't ever carry starter motor current, it is not in that part of the circuit. Starter motors have a direct, un-fused and un-instrumented connection to the battery via the starter solenoid. The ammeter goes between:

a) everything else that uses juice--the starter solenoid (for engaging the starter), the battery (for charging), the ignition (for spark), and the accessories (for lights) and,

b) the thing that generates juice--the generator terminal on the S/G regulator

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

tunahead72
4 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

...  My supply of 1 inch long 1/4 x 20 dog point screws was depleted!  Ordered twenty  more from McMaster Carr ( I will bring some to sell cheap at the Big Show)...

@Lane Ranger  I'll take a couple of those off your hands...  I'll be at the show Friday, will PM you later.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

EB-80/8inPA

Finally got around to replacing the fuel pump diaphragm on the C160 yesterday.  It was supposed to be an in-between job - until I put everything back together only to find it leaking worse than before.  And by leaking I mean literally spewing a stream of gasoline at the muffler.  As entertaining as such a video may have been, I opted instead to shut it down immediately before something really bad happened.

So, I removed the pump again, split it, and started scuffing one face with 400 grit.  Hmmm.  Then went to Ace to get some 320 grit!  (and 400, 600, etc)  Eventually got everything flat and 1,500 grit smooth, which wound up taking waaay too much time.  Got everything back together a second or fifth time only to find oil streaming down the side of the engine.  I somehow failed to notice the gasket had slipped and by now was torn.  Ugh.  Luckily I had a spare, but then found the air cleaner gasket was messed up, too.  I managed to fashion one out of some 40mil EPDM membrane (that stuff is surprisingly tough, btw), and that seems to be okay for now.  And since the oil level was too high (gas?), drained and changed that, too.

Bottom line:  I didn’t get much else done yesterday but at least that’s one thing fixed for awhile.  But if I had to do this for a living, I’d surely be living in a van down by the river.

Oil leak:

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
  • Like 3

Tuneup

"Got everything back together a second or fifth time only to find oil streaming down the side of the engine.  I somehow failed to notice the gasket had slipped and by now was torn."

At least you provided a service for all of us that wonder if a rod splash lubrication is enough. I'd say so.

For me, the K301 got its head re-torque. About 1/8th of a turn on each bolt. I did find that the 1/4" gas line is 5 years old and hardened enough so that the 1/4" spring clamps are ineffective. Have to get some blue line. Also, my 60 year old brain did not tighten the fuel pump enough so I had a minor oil leak. All solved with a screwdriver and a worm (hate 'em) clamp. Today, I'll set the high idle limit. Nice to have this one done.  I can start on the 520H in the shed.

• Like 3

Lane Ranger
14 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

@Lane Ranger  I'll take a couple of those off your hands...  I'll be at the show Friday, will PM you later.

will do. Look for my Wheel Horse flag flying in the center show area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Tuneup said:

1/4" gas line is 5 years old and hardened enough so that the 1/4" spring clamps are ineffective. Have to get some BLUE LINE.

. All solved with a screwdriver and a WORM (🪱) CLAMP

We use that blue line here. It isn't the same O. D. as the rubber. Blue is smaller. 

@squonk has a Napa clamp part number that works quite well. Heavy Duty and correct size. 

• Like 3

squonk

705-1204 clamp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, squonk said:

705-1204 clamp

Excellent. Thanks Mike.   

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA
6 hours ago, Tuneup said:

At least you provided a service for all of us that wonder if a rod splash lubrication is enough. I'd say so.

All’s well that ends well!

Rather; “Oil’s well that ends well!”  
Your appreciation is appreciated.

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
  • Like 1

8ntruck

Got the new tie rod primed and painted for Morgan.  Didn't get it installed as he got tapped for dock section toting duty yesterday and today whil we put the dock in the lake.  We will get the pontoon in the water tomorrow.

Went to the car show in Sharadon yesterday.  Both sides I'd downtown were pretty much parked full.  I think I heard that there were about 120 cars there.  There were two that I've never seen before - a 1933 Franklin coupe and a 1962 Falcon sedan delivery.  There was a 1962 Corvette that Wolfman Jack had signed the glovebox door. 

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

Handy Don
On 5/28/2022 at 4:45 PM, Lane Ranger said:

dog point screws... will bring some to sell ,,, at the Big Show

I'll look you up for a couple, please!

• Like 2

8ntruck
18 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Got the new tie rod primed and painted for Morgan.  Didn't get it installed as he got tapped for dock section toting duty yesterday and today while we put the dock in the lake.  We will get the pontoon in the water tomorrow.

Went to the car show in Sharadon yesterday.  Both sides I'd downtown were pretty much parked full.  I think I heard that there were about 120 cars there.  There were two that I've never seen before - a 1933 Franklin coupe and a 1962 Falcon sedan delivery.  There was a 1962 Corvette that Wolfman Jack had signed the glovebox door. 

• Like 1

Lee1977
18 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

!962 Corvette is rare they didn't come out until 1963.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

953 nut
4 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

they didn't come out until 1963.              1953

• Like 2

cafoose

1953 CHEVROLET CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977

Don't know what I was thinking, a friend at Highschool; had a 1953 corvette.  Landis NC had 2 or maybe 3 stop lights. One day after school Stanley hit a  50 Buick that ran the stop light and totaled the Corvette. The Corvette must have went under the Buick as it turned it over. The Buick was spinning around on the top in the middle of the intersection it was around1958 ...

• Sad 2

8ntruck

A week ago last Friday, I got our pontoon out of storage.  They had removed the shrink wrap and lake tested it.  It was fairly clean.  I parked it in our yard under our many oak trees.  The trees were in bloom, dropping pollen and blossoms.  So today, I went to put the pontoon in the lake.  It was a mess.  I got Morgan out to move the pontoon over to the wash bay (side yard) so I could clean it up, then drag it out to the road to hook the truck up to it for the trip to the boat ramp.

While backing the trailer down the boat ramp, my wife asks why I don't just use the Wheel Horse to do this?  I'probably have to get all 4 of the wheels on Morgan  (my 14-8) to get the trailer far enough to float the pontoon off.  I don't think I'd have enough weight or traction to get everything back out of the lake, or even possibly to keep everything from getting too far into the lake!

• Like 5

Horse Newbie
7 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I thought that, but I wasn’t gonna say nothing…

Wheel Horse 3D
3 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D