Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ashtonosborne2019
1 hour ago, haydendavid380 said:

My work bench was a little cluttered and a cluttered bench makes it difficult to work on horses. Wife said I might as well clean and organize the garage. Spent the afternoon on the garage and my bench now has more stuff on it than when I started. 

I'm convinced I can squeeze another tractor in there now though, so the jokes on her 🤣

20210320_195323.jpg.259606734fc1b601ba3d7811d4ce0431.jpg

there will always be space for more horses in the garage

• Like 1

ashtonosborne2019
On 3/18/2021 at 9:10 AM, Jeff-C175 said:

Above the line a noxious invasive weed vine called "Porcelain Berry" is a big problem.  Very similar to the way Kudzu is blanketing the South.  Kudzu is making it's way North also, it's been reported in numerous locations in NJ.

i got this stuff in CT that is called hog weed and it grows up like crazy here and it gives you blisters too so once they grow over my trails either you need to burn them or deal with blisters.

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, ashtonosborne2019 said:

hog weed

I bet we've got it here too.  If it's something bad, it can be found here!

• Haha 2

Jeff-C175

Started cleaning up the rear wheels I got from Lincoln, preparing them for paint and  new tires.

I noticed something odd.  One of the wheels is drilled for the .435 valve stem, and the other is drilled for a .625!

I've got a bag of the former, but not one of the latter.

What's up with the .625 valve stem?  Which machines used those?  In all other respects these wheels appear identical.

haydendavid380

Off to the plowing field

20210321_095924.jpg.d496c910743345068d5ec0418d475c1c.jpg

• Excellent 2

haydendavid380

received_125675062842177.jpeg.ebe62bf64d2a7350c210b614dec73d99.jpeg

I may or may not have any idea what I'm doing 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gregor
10 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

I may or may not have any idea what I'm doing 🤷‍♂️

You know what you are doing, having a blast. :banana-dance: Nothing else matters.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Tach-a-matic

The wheels were quite crusty so took them all off, cleaned/scrubbed, sanded, masked and hit them with Rustoleum "Almond"

IMG-7053.jpg

One of the vertical stanchions of the hitch with bent out a bit so straightened it out with a giant pair of channel locks, sanded and hit it with Rustoleum "Regal Red".  The big pin was rusty and missing a clip too so wire-wheeled it, added a C- clip and greased. 

IMG-7054.jpg

Edited by Tach-a-matic
  • Like 6

Gregor

Nice job. Any hints on how to get that big pin out, when it's froze solid?

• Like 1

Tach-a-matic

It slid out with no difficulty

haydendavid380
37 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Heat, PB blaster, a big hammer

It took me all of about 12 hours alternating between those three to get mine out.

If they're really stuck, don't plan on keeping the pin. Cut it into pieces so you can the hitch off. Drill a hole in the pin so you can get a punch inside the pin so you don't mushroom the pin.

20210228_212518.jpg.b20381ed9159d9ed276dd8e420b6a537.jpg

I ordered a new pin from Lowell, and it looked almost chrome from all the anti-seize when I put it back in.

Edited by haydendavid380
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Gregor said:

2 hours ago, haydendavid380 said:

Heat, Penetrating oil or wax, a big hammer

David's got the idea and they can be nature-welded right in but good. 

I'd add to drill a couple holes at the top of the back of the trans case to get access to the pin. Add oil through those until the pin is out then plug them with grease fittings for the future. 

If you have an air hammer that can help. 

With all due respect to @haydendavid380 I'm not at all a fan of PB. 

I have a great preference toward Kroil but I'm too cheap to buy it so I use good old fashioned Liquid Wrench. 

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Gregor said:

if you have a piece of it sticking out long enough, grab ahold of it with your biggest pipe wrench and spin it a few times.  It’ll loosen much quicker than hitting it :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Tach-a-matic said:

IMG-7054.jpg

With just the drawbar, there should be some wide spacers to take up that extra room on either side.  Without them, I bet the drawbar can slide to the side and the trans case helps to spread the vertical parts out. 

59EB3510-C9D8-4D16-A8C1-A3DEA8AF0188.jpeg

• Like 2

Gregor

I drilled, tapped, and installed 4 grease zerks. I also drilled a center hole in the shaft. I hit it with my air hammer every now and then. All I have for heat is a butane torch with MAPP gas. I really don't think it will get anything hot enough  to make a difference, so I haven't tried it. If I don't get anywhere this way, out comes the sawzall.

20210321_174128.jpg.5a89c60fff8825ac7e3eb3c97a26884b.jpg20210321_174142.jpg.0bdf182cf4db085308084b247706ed7e.jpg

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 2

Tach-a-matic

Right on!

Will get some pipe to make spacers. Why someone took these out is beyond me. 

• Like 2

Pullstart
29 minutes ago, Tach-a-matic said:

Right on!

Will get some pipe to make spacers. Why someone took these out is beyond me. 

If they had a slot hitch on the lift cable, they might not have had spacers either...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Tach-a-matic said:

One of the vertical stanchions of the hitch with bent out a bit so straightened it out with a giant pair of channel locks, sanded and hit it with Rustoleum "Regal Red".  The big pin was rusty and missing a clip too so wire-wheeled it, added a C- clip and greased. 

IMG-7054.jpg

In addition to the needed spacers, you still have some bending to do.  The uprights should be standing vertical and bent forward till there is little play.

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse

@ebinmaine thank you again! Was fun and after all that I'm a transmission expert lol! But glad she's all back together and good for another 50+ years hopfuly! Can't wait to install it probly tomorrow my horse tinkering hours are up for today. 🍻

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Tach-a-matic

Until proper spacers are obtained I had some lockable collars so put them on the shaft to hold it in place. Also put a washer just behind each clip to further minimize side to side. Will have to put the hitch in the vice to get the verticals perfectly straight!

IMG-7062.png

Edited by Tach-a-matic
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

@ebinmaine @OldWorkHorse good to see you both got your hoodie doobies after such a labor intensive day!  @stevasaurus would be proud of ya’s!

• Haha 4

OldWorkHorse
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@ebinmaine @OldWorkHorse good to see you both got your hoodie doobies after such a labor intensive day!  @stevasaurus would be proud of ya’s!

I know right! Eric @ebinmaine almost lost 1 of his! 

• Haha 3

Pullstart

Other than a bit of clean up with the loader tractor, I just did organizing, classified ads and project parts prep/finding.  “Screamin Jimmy” might not need the second pedal any more (until Rylee’s kids are ready to learn some day!) so I found a spare floorboard and a battery box as the one one the tractor is beat up.  I have totes from the 2019 Big Show I haven’t gone through completely so figured I’d clean up shop a bit.

I Horse traded Rylee for “Filly” the 1076 a while back, then helped a fellow member with the transmission out of it.  A three speed is bolted to it for roll around purpose.  That white seat makes me think future lowrider project!  Funny thing, this is another transmission from a Commando 800 and the axle shafts are extremely wide!

FC6621BD-82B2-4AA1-AE2F-8A3DFAAEC729.jpeg

7DAC1237-57D8-4F9C-8A71-02ECD43CB99C.jpeg

BC618B11-87BD-4003-9A1D-D852DA93B047.jpeg

BEAB1160-C0DA-4B0D-A051-2E5138490068.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1