Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Sometimes we gotta look at things like "well, it's no good the way it is, if this experiment doesnt hold up, it was no good anyhow

Use what you have...

• Like 3

Tuneup

On the front porch last night - my cheap little valve spring compressor. After using screwdrivers, pliers, vices and twine since 16 on countless engines, removing the Onan's valves took all of 10 minutes. Glorious! Now, if onanparts would just open, I could get those rings and get this 516 purring again.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
10 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Look for a number stamped into the block at the top center near the pulley on that flat horizontal surface.

@lynnmor

Yes, I found  the number stamped near the pulley, and recorded it.

I was gonna order an engine label from Vinylguy and wanted to make sure I was reading the label correctly.

I had originally recorded a "D" as a "0", but after close examination noticed my misread .

I was think maybe some other Onan owners could verify that the serial number on the label did start with a letter instead of a number.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I don't know if my honey loves me or my tractor more

Doesn't matter as long as gifts keep showing up. 

• Like 6

Jhook

Got a hefty package in the mail today, new hydraulic pump, foot mount, inlet hose, fittings, and pulley for the charger 12. Will take some time this weekend to mock up the mount amd hopefully have it operational with the new pump sometime next week. This pump is quite a bit larger than the other one, and should pump around 5 gpm plus or minus. 

20210105_180517.jpg

20210105_180439.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
27 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Will take some time this weekend to mock up the mount amd hopefully have it operational with the new pump sometime next week.

:confusion-confused:      The engine turns CCW on the PTO end and the pump appears to be a clockwise rotation. Is it going to be mounted outboard?

• Like 2

Jhook
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:      The engine turns CCW on the PTO end and the pump appears to be a clockwise rotation. Is it going to be mounted outboard?

Yes. The pump case will be pointed away from the engine. The pump shaft will be pointed towards the engine. Pic of current hack job setup for reference. I could have got the wrong direction but it seemed right that i need a clockwise pump?

20201129_121344.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Greentored

More and more intrigued as I see these 'power steering pump' posts. Certainly miss the hydro lift on the 520 when it comes to a yanking up a plow or disc harrow loaded with concrete blocks.

Theres actually a chance of a decent snow here in NC Friday, so I dragged the blade out and began 'rebuilding' and mocking up to fit Hoss. No pretty restoration here, it will be 'function before style' and get a quick scuff and shot of whatever red I find laying around once its done.

Never messed with a plow/dozer whatever blade, but the angle adjust arm and link were missing and the mount for it was torn off/broken. It its original spot it would appear one would really have to reach to grab that arm- is that how they were?

Regardless, it wont be on this one- relocated the new mount further back and put a small 'kick' in the arm. Required putting a bit more bend on the PTO engage lever but otherwise clears the machine and my leg nicely throughout its travel range.

Now that I hustle to finish this, it wont snow......

plow1.jpg

plow2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

rjg854

The fuel pump on the 16 Auto was leaking, so l took it off and tore it apart. All the diaphragms looked to be in good shape so back together it went. Reinstalled with new fuel lines, ran it for awhile to check for leaks and seems like I'm good to go. So I don't know what the problem was but it doesn't leak. And that's all I have to say about that :)

• Like 6

sparkie333
On 1/5/2021 at 4:47 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

This is one of them!  She was so happy to find it in red! 

Hold up Hold up here.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, sparkie333 said:

Hold up Hold up here.

I know, right?  I have to use it though, you know how that is!  

• Like 2

KrazeyOlDave

Found a new orbital valve for my power steering setup. Need to save up a little more and buy the double ended ram.

4D31563E-1CD4-446D-B4CE-DAD1702E80FB.jpeg

8D186FC5-D0C5-4541-9A57-C76854BB440D.jpeg

BE3CFE3E-20E1-418D-BC2A-5C67320DB0E9.png

• Like 3

Shed
34 minutes ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

Found a new orbital valve for my power steering setup. Need to save up a little more and buy the double ended ram.

Shed
35 minutes ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/ try them out lots of hydraulic supplies and rams good pricing 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

MikMacMike
On 1/4/2021 at 12:03 PM, cleat said:

I like the snowblower mod.

The green wheels though......

The green wheels are how I baught it, if you look further down youll notice they were replaced with wheels from the original Big Red in fact all four, front and rear greeny boogers hehehehehe, I changed them cuz I still havnt finished the new heating system thats going to heat both the house and the shop and we all know what happens if you paint when its below freezing......smiles. The rims I changed with though are more rust then paint lol......Im still undecided wether to paint them silver like the newer WH's had or the off white that the older horses had???? What do you think Greentored

• Like 2

MikMacMike
On 1/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, cleat said:

Worst recoil spring I ever dealt with was on the Wife's vacuum cleaner that has a real long cord.

Spring was in a big tangled ball that needed to be untangled then rewound.

Dang you gotta be carefull how you pull it eh.....

KrazeyOlDave

@Jhook

Post pics as you design/install please 

Edited by KrazeyOlDave
  • Like 1

Jhook
10 hours ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

@Jhook

Post pics as you design/install please 

Will do. Hoping to have the mounting bracket fabbed up this weekend. Dont want to remove the old setup until i have all the fittings and everything i need that way the tractor isnt down for more than a few hours. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
23 hours ago, pullstart said:

Rylee took Leighty Bug for a stroll on the “tractor ride” today...

SO glad a ride in the bucket wasn't on her mind!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

@pullstart

1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

SO glad a ride in the bucket wasn't on her mind!

PLEASE don't let them do that. Ever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Worked on gutting a Onan for refresh possibilities and got a package from the big brown truck driver today. 

Now I hate to call @Greentored a stooge for trading me this nice square pan for a round one. He might not know it but square pans are hens teeth, around here anyway. My 701 thanks you  Green! :handgestures-thumbupright:  Got a little clean up action started on Pullstart's K161 for the same 701 too. 

20210103_182742.jpg

20210107_164334.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

WHX??
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@pullstart

PLEASE don't let them do that. Ever. 

Nice to hear I'm not the only one he  makes nervous.....

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Achto

Bad news on that Onan @WHX24 the cylinders are shaped like an egg at the top. About .007 out on the thrust surface. Crank looks like it just needs a polish & the one rod needs to be replaced. I'll call you with the details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1