Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

953 nut
3 minutes ago, Jhook said:

when i rotate the tires the inside of the axle sounds like the wheel of fortune

4 minutes ago, Jhook said:

a large amount of play at the hubs

There should be no play (up/down  or  front/back) and the sound you are hearing is probably the axle bearings coming apart.

Jhook
Just now, 953 nut said:

There should be no play (up/down  or  front/back) and the sound you are hearing is probably the axle bearings coming apart.

Ok, theres is lots of play. How hard is it to replace the bearings? Can you give a brief description of whats involved? Also is there any other models that have a bolt in transmission for the 68 charger 12? There is no chargers listed near me. 

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Ok, theres is lots of play. How hard is it to replace the bearings? Can you give a brief description of whats involved? Also is there any other models that have a bolt in transmission for the 68 charger 12? There is no chargers listed near me. 

Before yo get carried away push the brake lever on the side of the transaxle down. then spin things.  The parking brake may drag if the lever is up some.

still noisy and play in the axles time to split

Since you have the rear end off. Next take off the wheels and  remove the hubs.  Then take off the hydro pump and motor as a unit. Split eh transaxle case.  They are pretty simple inside.  Push the axle needle bearing out from inside Check all the other bearing adman look for any damage to the axle itself from the needles failing....

• Like 1

Jhook
10 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Before yo get carried away push the brake lever on the side of the transaxle down. then spin things.  The parking brake may drag if the lever is up some.

still noisy and play in the axles time to split

Since you have the rear end off. Next take off the wheels and  remove the hubs.  Then take off the hydro pump and motor as a unit. Split eh transaxle case.  They are pretty simple inside.  Push the axle needle bearing out from inside Check all the other bearing adman look for any damage to the axle itself from the needles failing....

Ok, trans is back installed already. But i will double check it tomorrow. How should i verify it isnt dragging with the trans on the tractor? Can i still access the lever your talking about?

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Jhook said:

is there any other models that have a bolt in transmission

It's super easy to repair your own, usually. 

All nuts and bolts. Nothing complicated. I just did my Charger project tractor transmission over the summer. 

Best to pop it apart and check it over now. 

Double check the condition of the parking brake pawl and a close look at all bearings. Clean out the screen. 

Easy enough. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Jhook said:

lever

The parking brake lever you grab to set the brake 

Jhook
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

The parking brake lever you grab to set the brake 

The big lever on the right with the tensioner pulley attached to it?

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Yessir

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Makes sure the circled lever is down.  Also are the hubs loose or is the axle itself moving up/down front to back. 

brake lever.jpg

• Like 2

Jhook
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yessir

Ok will check everything over next time i get the chance. Floor jack is already back on the tow truck and im all cleaned up for tonight. I was thinking of trying to find a good tight trans just due to the little amount of time i get to work on this. I was worried about the seals i just replaced but it was a piece of cake with the instructions paul wrote up for me. Maybe 1.5 hours of labor from start to finish. I dont mind learning to split the trans, just worried ill start and never finish lol

• Like 1

ccs002

Is the hub moving on the axle or is the hub and axle moving together? Is it up and down movement or up and down or side to side? Never mind, I type slow on the phone:P

Edited by ccs002

Jhook
Just now, ccs002 said:

Is the hub moving on the axle or is the hub and axle moving together? Is it up and down movement or up and down or side to side?

I can move the wheel every which way, similar to a swivel socket😂

• Haha 1

Jhook

Alright guys im going back out and jacking it up again. Will report back in a few👍

Jhook

Good news, the hubs are totally shot. Axles tight. Hubs allow the wheel to spin 1/4 turn before the axle start spinning with it. Bad news, no matter which position the brake lever is in, the wheel of fortune is still playing inside the trans, its filled to the proper level now as well. I will attach a video of Said noises. Let me know what you think. I always think the worst right away when i hear noises that dont sound right to me. 

• Sad 1

JohnD

I don't know if its good for you or bad for me, but that's what my Eaton 1100 on my C-175 always sounds like after I roll it about 4 feet. 

Jhook
8 hours ago, JohnD said:

I don't know if its good for you or bad for me, but that's what my Eaton 1100 on my C-175 always sounds like after I roll it about 4 feet. 

Ok, well thats good to hear. This is my first hydro, i prefer the simplicity and durabiltity of the 8 speed in my 315, i make sure to never abuse it amd always operate it slowly when stopping or shifting etc, but i loved this hydro for the short time i drove it. Hope its strong enough. Im sure the experts will be on later to chime in about the noise as well. Thanks for the input 

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Ok, well thats good to hear. This is my first hydro, i prefer the simplicity and durabiltity of the 8 speed in my 315, i make sure to never abuse it amd always operate it slowly when stopping or shifting etc, but i loved this hydro for the short time i drove it. Hope its strong enough. Im sure the experts will be on later to chime in about the noise as well. Thanks for the input 

These sundstrands are a good quality reliable transmission to which the only normal downfall is owner abuse or neglect.

Did you verify the DOWN position of the lever shown above by @pfrederi ?

I have my 1970 Charger and it does NOT make that noise. 

Sort of sounds to me like you have an issue with the parking brake pawl which is unfortunately fairly common because people don't understand that the tractor needs to be FULLY STOPPED before the parking brake is engaged.  

Removing and repairing that transmission will not be a huge issue for you. 

johnnymag3

Sounds like the Pawl to me also Eric... I think you are right on !!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
9 hours ago, JohnD said:

Just a reminder....the 700 and 1100 Eaton hydros do not have a tow valve like the Sundstrands and are not designed to be towed.    If the Eatons must be pushed, it must be very slowly while moving the motion control lever.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I cannot load the video right now, could it be a limited slip diff doing it!s thing?

Jhook
16 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I cannot load the video right now, could it be a limited slip diff doing it!s thing?

Im not sure if it's  a LSD hydro. When i spin one wheel, the other one spins the opposite way just like on a truck. Not sure if that helps. 

Jhook
52 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

These sundstrands are a good quality reliable transmission to which the only normal downfall is owner abuse or neglect.

Did you verify the DOWN position of the lever shown above by @pfrederi ?

I have my 1970 Charger and it does NOT make that noise. 

Sort of sounds to me like you have an issue with the parking brake pawl which is unfortunately fairly common because people don't understand that the tractor needs to be FULLY STOPPED before the parking brake is engaged.  

Removing and repairing that transmission will not be a huge issue for you. 

Yes i have spun the wheels while pulling down on the lever, ive spun them with the lever up, with the lever in the middle etc. All the same noise. So if its the brake does it need to be fixed? I dont care about having a parking brake if no further damage is likely i will run it as is, also will be draining the fluid soon and will see if its full of metal is there a drain plug on the bottom like the 8 speed?

pfrederi

That sound is not normal  (Sunstrands do not click like eatons when you push them)  Sounds like a parking pawl to  me also.  Check the lever again.  When you move it does the shaft that goes into the tranny turn.  It is held by a roll pin that may have failed.  In anyevent you are going to have to open it up.  if that noise continues failure is in the near future.  Since you have never really seen it run maybe to late already. 

Edited by pfrederi

Jhook
19 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

That sound is not normal  (Sunstrands do not click like eatons when you push them)  Sounds like a parking pawl to  me also.  Check the lever again.  When you move it does the shaft that goes into the tranny turn.  It is held by a roll pin that may have failed.  In anyevent you are going to have to open it up.  if that noise continues failure is in the near future.  Since you have never really seen it run maybe to late already. 

Ok so in the event it is the parking pawl, can it be opened up, pawl removed, and reassembled? I really have no need for a parking brake, and if it's common to fail then i dont want to have to open it up again down the road. Id rather just delete it all together. This is going to be more work than i thought lol but i will double check the roll pin hasnt failed later on. Thanks guys 

• Like 1