Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

WHX??
21 hours ago, echris said:

I feel I should report this post. There is something so terribly wrong with using a WH to tow away the carcass of a WH which YOU DIRECTLY contributed to it's ultimate demise.

For shame! *wags finger*

Naw I think this was it's demise. .. cleaned the hydro up to put in on the shelf and found this.... let's blame it on @squonk

20200926_090827.jpg

20200926_090842.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

echris

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

For Shame! *wags finger at @squonk*

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Naw I think this was it's demise. .. cleaned the hydro up to put in on the shelf and found this.... let's blame it on @squonk

20200926_090827.jpg

20200926_090842.jpg

Clearly this is the problem. 

THAT. MUST. GO. 

• Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

image.jpeg.7d270f310544a7294474cea527d6a2da.jpeg

@WHX24 did @pullstart loan you his power washer? :P

• Haha 2

echris

I can't imagine that hydro could possibly work in that condition.

You know how I'm always blathering on and on about the shop I worked in? Well, here I go again:
About 2 years before I left, they became a JD dealer too. Worked on lots of old and brand new JD's.
No comparison to a WH. They certainly weren't MTD's or Scott's (MTD lol) , but they were definitely second class to WH from a mechanics perspective.

sqrlgtr
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

20200926_090827.jpg

20200926_090842.jpg

Should’ve at least painted it.What else is going to happen in 2020.Strange times for sure!!!

• Like 1

8ntruck

Got some sets time today mowing the lawn. 

I was eyeing up the pile of oak leaves in the back corner of the yard as I was finishing up mowing.  I slipped the horse into low range and started driving over the pile - repeatedly.  Ground those @#/%^& oak leaves up almost into dust! 

I've noticed that the RD deck trends to leave a wind row behind the left blade.  While grinding the leaves, I noticed that most of them exited the deck on the left side. 

I wonder if that has something to do with the missing baffle under the deck?  Guess I'll find out, once I get around to doing some restoration work on that deck.

Once I put the horse away, I started working on my 2001 vintage pressure washer that hasn't been used for about 15 years.  It fires on carb cleaner, so I figured that the carb was gunked up.  Pulled the carb and opened it up.  Not much to it.  I replaced the bowl seal, float valve and float valves seat.  Cleansed out brownish crud in the main jet and any other passages I could find - weren't but a couple.    Back together, and started on 3rd pull.  Got to replace all of the o rings in the high pressure connections, as water was appearing in places that it should not have.   

The 1996 vintage chipper/shredder is next on the list for re-animation.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

20200926_211931.jpg.bd8236473c1beaea8da32ddd5999ee20.jpg

:rolleyes:  Surely has done irreparable damage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

echris
7 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Got some sets time today mowing the lawn. 

I was eyeing up the pile of oak leaves in the back corner of the yard as I was finishing up mowing.  I slipped the horse into low range and started driving over the pile - repeatedly.  Ground those @#/%^& oak leaves up almost into dust! 

I've noticed that the RD deck trends to leave a wind row behind the left blade.  While grinding the leaves, I noticed that most of them exited the deck on the left side. 

I wonder if that has something to do with the missing baffle under the deck?  Guess I'll find out, once I get around to doing some restoration work on that deck.

If you have a missing baffle, I'd bet that why you're leaving stripes in your yard!

You just reminded me that with fall coming up, I'm going to give the WH it's first run at leaf mulching. I always mulch the leaves, but I don't have a mulching cover!

But I do have sheetmetal. B)

pfrederi
10 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

John Deere Used Sunstrand pumps for several years hence the JD branded filter that fits. Interesting that for the same Sundstrand unit the JD filter does not cross to wix 51410  also if I recall JD spec'd their JD-20 for fluid which is more like a hydraulic fluid than the ATF or Motor oil than WH used.  Just another reason I read with some amusement here about the "Best" fluids/oils/filters to use....

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Just another reason I read with some amusement here about the "Best" fluids/oils/filters to use

Agreed....

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

John Deere Used Sunstrand pumps for several years hence the JD branded filter that fits. Interesting that for the same Sundstrand unit the JD filter does not cross to wix 51410  also if I recall JD spec'd their JD-20 for fluid which is more like a hydraulic fluid than the ATF or Motor oil than WH used.  Just another reason I read with some amusement here about the "Best" fluids/oils/filters to use....

Not all systems have gears to lubricate, run at the same loads and the operating temperatures can be much different.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
13 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Green tumor!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Not all systems have gears to lubricate, run at the same loads and the operating temperatures can be much different.

Any ideas of the temperature of the inside of the sun strand fully warmed up. Wonder 

what breaks down at that temp. After all 

its all about friction!:auto-layrubber:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Doing a little maintenance on this nice cool morning. Things are starting to squeak and carburetors need adjusting!

66C717F1-79BB-4C7D-9882-B7296C052BDE.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

johnnymag3

Gonna work on a 48" mower deck, customer wanted it repaired.....I mentioned the cost.......KEEP IT HE SAID !!!

So now I have a deck to restore....Let the fun begin...Pics in a bit

Have a great Sunday everyone

• Like 3

pfrederi
1 hour ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Any ideas of the temperature of the inside of the sun strand fully warmed up. Wonder 

what breaks down at that temp. After all 

its all about friction!:auto-layrubber:

WH gauge on my D200 shows white up to 200 degrees yellow 200-250 red above 250.  Manual says to operate in yellow for short period only, strictly avoid operating above 250 manual says not to operate. 

The Tuul Crib
8 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

WH gauge on my D200 shows white up to 200 degrees yellow 200-250 red above 250.  Manual says to operate in yellow for short period only, strictly avoid operating above 250 manual says not to operate. 

Where would the sending be placed 

on the sunstrand?

pfrederi

On a piston to piston goes in place of the yellow plug.

temp.jpg

• Like 1

Stormin
17 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

While grinding the leaves, I noticed that most of them exited the deck on the left side. 

Don't think it will be down to the missing baffle. My rear discharge's, 36" and 42", both fire grass etc out the left more than the right. Inside of the left wheel gets plastered. The RH wheel is clean. Also when decks are removed for cleaning, the right side is dirtier than the left.

Work that out. :confusion-confused:

Ten minutes after mowing this afternoon, the C-125 spluttered to a stop and refused to restart. Pushed it back to the workshop and after getting my breath back, investigated. Plug sparking ok but dry. Was going to check the points but as I knelt to remove the cover, I noticed petrol leaking from the air filter.

Reached up and turned the ignition key. Engine turned over and petrol flowed out of the carb. Removed the float bowl which was clean inside. Rattled the float up and down, while turning the key and fuel came out. Then gently held the float up and fuel stopped flowing.

Put the bowl back and tried starting again. Engine fired up and no sign of fuel leaking out of carb. Finished 2hrs of mowing with out any ore problems.

I  reckon a speck of dirt had been stopping the float needle valve from seating properly.

• Excellent 1

johnnymag3

Worked on my newly aquired 48" deck.......Took some pics of why I need a new, or used shaft......Might just as well tear it down, and freshen it up !!

Never could strip a WH item and feel good I saved some parts....Gonna get after it, and turn it into a nice little belly deck. Owner / Customer may want to buy it back after he sees the end result.     Wait.....nope, he didnt want to spend more than 75.00 to fix it...

All the more reason to slip into Fall with a small resto project. !!!

75.00 to repair     350.00 to buy after resto      PRICELESS    :confusion-confused:

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

Edited by johnnymag3
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Oils generally start to degrade starting around 250 degrees F.  There are high temperature oils available.  These are typically synthetics or mineral oils with lots of fancy additives.

pfrederi

I  was priming the inside of a hood today with rattle cans.  Was joined by at least two bugs that decided they liked the taste of paint.  I hate painting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

Jhook

Cutting out the 3 new windows for the snow cab 

20200927_161904.jpg

• Like 3

Jhook

Ive been needing to replace my shift boot. Have the parts. But has anyone done it on this machine 07 315-8? Theres a safety switch of some sort and im not sure how to remove it, ive never worked with this type of fastener before 

20200927_173627.jpg

20200927_173622.jpg

• Confused 1