Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

953 nut
10 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

How much do these go for in NC ?

Oh, about five or ten bucks!                 :ychain:             You did very well, I payed $ 100 for one twenty years ago.         :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 1

Lee1977
6 hours ago, Damien Walker said:

Threaded adapter pinned onto the shaft as normal and the wheel secured with a nut?

My 518H was very bad, but this was the donor fir the power steering conversion I did, so I lost the wheel.

Yours looks like a very good solution.

That pot metal they used in the wheel fault us all the way, can't drill a round hole in it. We turned more off the shaft, filed and sanded both hole and shaft it just would not go all the way on.

The pot metal would stick and gauld. I took it home and worked on it some more same thing. I got it about 2/3 on made sure it was lined up and drove it on, Put the flat and lock washer on

tighten it down  

• Like 2

Damien Walker

Can't beat a steel bush! When I was considering doing mine, I thought about using a lathe...but it would be one mighty big lathe. Pressed on and clamped between steel washer and bush as you have done should be much better now....pity they used cheese for the original!

Stormin

After giving the Black Horse a run yesterday, I thought to be fair, I'd treat the Command 800 C-81 just so it didn't feel neglected.

It's not been run for 6 months though the battery has been kept charged up. Now after standing unused for a while, it takes a bit of winding up. No primer bulb on it like it's stable mates. That's on the to do list. Turned over fine but didn't fire. So off with the air filter and out with the petrol spray bottle.

It's a good job I've long legs and arms. Right hand to operate the key, left to work the spray and left foot on the clutch pedal due to safety switch. Took about a minute for fuel to pump through. before the engine would run without the petrol spray.

Didn't take it down the bridleway as it has the finger/sickle bar fitted and the track is rather rough in places. Took it up the lane a little instead.

• Like 6

ranger
On 4/1/2021 at 10:40 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

I got to thinking about the tubes in case I need to go that route.

What about the valve stem offset?  Is that pretty much standard?  How can I tell?  Is the tube from TSC any good (Traveler) ?  Does it have the correct offset for the 7" rear rim ?

Be careful when you fit a tube to any wheel/ tire, make sure the valve stem is pointing towards the side of the rim the hole is in, (offset), and never inflate the tube for the first time with the valve in. If you get it wrong, and the valve is installed, the valve stem can disappear inside the tyre, you won’t be able to get the tire off the rim without puncturing the tube to let the air out! Don’t ask me how I know!!

• Like 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, ranger said:

Be careful when you fit a tube to any wheel/ tire, make sure the valve stem is pointing towards the side of the rim the hole is in, (offset), and never inflate the tube for the first time with the valve in. If you get it wrong, and the valve is installed, the valve stem can disappear inside the tyre, you won’t be able to get the tire off the rim without puncturing the tube to let the air out! Don’t ask me how I know!!

I use a pair of locking pliers when airing up the first time. 

Tire shops have the locking air chuck. Those are worth every penny when you need one. 

• Like 6

D_Mac

So today I took the deck back off the 875. I also cleaned the rear tires and wheels. Taking it to friends house next week to get it running. Fingers crossed it won't need much. 

20210403_164740.jpg

20210403_164638.jpg

20210403_164732.jpg

20210403_164646.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Tractorhead

Playing a little on the Engine setup and with the Muffler setup to change the Predators Sound.

I measured before on driverseat 96dbA what is not too loud but sounds a little like a church pipe in deep tone.

So i calculated the last day’s a little arround with frequencies and frequency ranges and with Airflow pulsation 

and played today a little on the lathe for get a little more experiences for results in Soundchecks and even some db Reduction. 

The third change i calculated was the best from the Sound and even it drops the db ratio down to 79-80dbA on driverseat.

The Basics exhaust setup was a selfmade flange with maximum outlet of the Engine (1/2“)

followed by a 3/4“ 90* Fitting and a welded3/4“ pipe with 5cm.

after that comes a 1“ 90* Fitting upwards to the Stack.

the stack itself was made of of the fragments of the old Muffler where i built into a rectangle housing of 5cm by 5cm pipe with 4mm thickness and a lenght of 13,3 cm.

image.jpg.b442955264426bedaefa0ba8accf6a45.jpg

image.jpg.77121e45484f5e8317d204ac86d77c95.jpg

In the stack itself have 2 chambers, they seperate the Airflow thru the drilled sheetmetal.

the upper Pipe with the slope cut was 1“ and measures 21,5 cm from the stack to the highest point on the exhaust pipe.

image.jpg.e9d9367aa4f9f6f43c72787393b01b76.jpg

That gives a cool sound deep but it reminds me a little to a church pipe on full throttle.

Because of the free flow internal it get this charakeristic Sound.

With the today‘s changes - i built a 4,5 cm long 3/4“ insertion pipe, that will be mounted in to 8,5cm from top into the 

end pipe - it changes the sound to a much more flat Sound.

13A3620E-6FB9-46BF-AB24-39C8FBCEE5AB.jpeg.99a186aab59862e6ac3deefd447a93a0.jpeg

A46BD14A-7F65-4DEA-8441-18CAC5444BF9.jpeg.37b55fd676c2e0c733f3109c40eb686d.jpeg

B4999B5D-14A7-4858-A286-BE3719AF7CD2.jpeg.bb6cc8c53f0ba658bdee512273be4499.jpeg

The sound changes from deep pipe sound now to a more deep flat pressure Sound.

it sounds like it beeing more Volume but it have not so much db‘s in idle.

Curious how this sounds on higher rpm and even on Full throttle.

Soundcheck comes soon.

CF2A5BB5-3D94-463F-BAF0-23490D034603.jpeg.bc908c207a3d011845f8a7ff35e6428b.jpeg

Edited by Tractorhead
Added Picts
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Horse Newbie
13 hours ago, pullstart said:

It LOOKS like an 8”, but pictures can be deceiving.  With it laying on the ground that way, measure up to the point In red.  That’ll tell you the size.  I don’t believe the coulter Wheel size matters, it just puts a slice in the ground before turning it over.  Many times (most all times) I run without one.

image.jpeg

Thanks @pullstart and @Lee1977  I appreciate the response guys !

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
14 hours ago, pullstart said:

Many times (most all times) I run without one.

I have a lot of rocks in the ground...coulter wheel would probably just ride up and over them...

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

So today I took the deck back off the 875. I also cleaned the rear tires and wheels. Taking it to friends house next week to get it running. Fingers crossed it won't need much. 

20210403_164740.jpg

20210403_164638.jpg

20210403_164732.jpg

20210403_164646.jpg

Save that tractor !!! Don't part it out !!!

• Excellent 1

953 nut
8 minutes ago, balconio said:

I really want to find a way to carry a fire extinguisher onboard... It's like they left the perfect sized area in the engine bay to carry one, I just have to find a way to mount it securely.

:no:           Never mount a fire extinguisher at the most likely source of a fire.  If an engine fire occurred you wouldn't be able to get at it.    :twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

D_Mac
47 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Save that tractor !!! Don't part it out !!!

I'm trying !!  Like I said, I was told it needs a rebuild. Previous owner didn't give me much information. I'm hoping it run and drives. I could be surprised.... who knows.

• Like 4

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I use a pair of locking pliers when airing up the first time. 

Tire shops have the locking air chuck. Those are worth every penny when you need one. 

I think the tool for installing tubeless valve stems would work well also.

I have a locking chuck but it doesn't hold tight enough that I would trust it for that.  It pops off fairly easily.

• Like 2

Oldskool

I find if you have to struggle that much to hold onto it to fill it, it's a good chance you will lose it inside the rim.

• Like 3

8ntruck
1 hour ago, balconio said:

Harbor freight trailers are completely out of stock in my area so I bought this 300lb capacity atv rack instead. It's awesome! On it I have a pair of 18 gallon Rubbermaid totes, a 5 gallon gas can, and my Milwaukee M18 chainsaw. I also provisioned it to pull my gorilla cart which will work until I can get the 4x8' trailer I want.

This setup was amazing for running around the property today and getting a bunch of branches chipped up.

IMG_20210403_182702765_HDR_compress90.jpg.65fa73cacc86a50314932c5abc9373d6.jpg

IMG_20210403_182603097_compress3.jpg.c1a715ef9d6d88f2792e6f7d7887986d.jpg

IMG_20210403_182537373_compress86.jpg.59ebbc6ec30a940636b7caab875a58de.jpg

IMG_20210403_182456647_compress97.jpg.374a142163e4f115d9e8f4d8baf896f1.jpg

Oh yeah and I really want to find a way to carry a fire extinguisher onboard... It's like they left the perfect sized area in the engine bay to carry one, I just have to find a way to mount it securely.

IMG_20210403_183326746_compress56.jpg.63ae15dcc029390b6785a334812b047b.jpg

Hey @pullstart, you ever have similar thoughts?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

Started out today blowing the winter's accumulation of oak leads away from the base of the chain link fence.  Blew the leaves out of the adjacent flower beds as well.  Then planted 60 or 70 surprise lily bulbs along the bottom of the fence.

Next up was wakeing the Horse up to run the sweeper around to pick up the leads the blower dislodged.  Open the shed and the right rear tire is flat.  OK, add air.  Roll it out and check the oil.  Reads at add on the dip stick, so add oil.  Grab the gas can.  It is empty, so off for a gas run for nob-ethanol fuel.  Add Sea Foam.  Remembered to open the gas shutoff valve (!).  Normal amount of cranking, and it fires right up.  Cruse around the yard at 3/4 throttle and 3rd gear for about 20 minutes,, no issues.

I did notice some gear oil on the floor under the right axle, maybe an ounce or two.  Must have leaked past the seal when the tractor was leaning that way due to the flat tire.  Guess I'm going to have to put hub removal and axle seals on the work list.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

hub removal

Take a minute to remove the hub set screw(s). Put some penetrating oil in. Reapply after a few hours.  Repeat for a few days. 

• Like 2

pfrederi
12 hours ago, balconio said:

Harbor freight trailers are completely out of stock in my area so I bought this 300lb capacity atv rack instead. It's awesome! On it I have a pair of 18 gallon Rubbermaid totes, a 5 gallon gas can, and my Milwaukee M18 chainsaw. I also provisioned it to pull my gorilla cart which will work until I can get the 4x8' trailer I want.

This setup was amazing for running around the property today and getting a bunch of branches chipped up.

IMG_20210403_182456647_compress97.jpg.374a142163e4f115d9e8f4d8baf896f1.jpg

Oh yeah and I really want to find a way to carry a fire extinguisher onboard... It's like they left the perfect sized area in the engine bay to carry one, I just have to find a way to mount it securely.

Are you able to run the chipper in the wagon or do you have to lift it out...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Sometimes it's the little things. I needed a cig lighter/12v port for the new tractor. I just couldnt stand the little plastic knob so I turned out a stainless one for it. Uch better. It's close enough to an original.

Niiiiiiiiiiice

Tractorhead

Here the promised Soundcheck.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Jeff-C175

Treasurer OK'd a cheap welder!  Picked up th HF Titanium 125 Flux unit.

Mower deck is apart for rehab and the rear mount points had the typical cracks so decided to start with those.  Worked GREAT! Hope they don't crack again...

Scraped and wire brushed the underside and coat of 'Rust Reformer'.  Applied a coat of Regal Red to the topside.

Pics later...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1