Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Evguy

Nice day so I changed the oil in onan swapped 314. Leveled the deck and tried a test cut. I’m out of town in a few weeks and wanted it working for GF to cut the grass if needed. 

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

WHGuy413
2 minutes ago, Cody said:

Finally got time to lay some paint on my buddies 702 project, 3 coats of base and 3 of clear. Came out pretty decent for being 2 hoods welded together. By far the roughest hood I'd ever saved. There's a little dirt in it but what to you expect for an old garage lol

20240415_205505.jpg

That looks great. What paint are you using?

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
16 minutes ago, c-series don said:

Speaking of painting! Painted the rims for my C-175 restoration today, actually I prepped them and my brother painted them. Primed with a good epoxy primer, then sanded a lot!! Brought a decent rim with good factory paint to the hardware store and matched it up with an oil base Benjamin Moore linen white. I’m super happy with the results. 

IMG_9144.jpeg

IMG_9145.jpeg

hey Don - what plastic wrap is that you use on the tires and rims?

• Like 1

Cody
26 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

That looks great. What paint are you using?

I'm using Martin senior base and clear. I've always had good luck with it so I stick with what I know.

• Excellent 4

c-series don

@Brockport Bill Hi Bill, that plastic wrap is the stuff that you use for shipping stuff. It comes on a roll, it’s basically like heavy duty Saran Wrap and comes in various widths. I’m not sure who sells it, I got mine at a yard sale! Worked great for this application. I usually use newspaper but this was WAY EASIER! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, c-series don said:

@Brockport Bill Hi Bill, that plastic wrap is the stuff that you use for shipping stuff. It comes on a roll, it’s basically like heavy duty Saran Wrap and comes in various widths. I’m not sure who sells it, I got mine at a yard sale! Worked great for this application. I usually use newspaper but this was WAY EASIER! 

At work we call that, shrink-wrap.

We have two sizes that are maybe four inch and around 18 I guess.

Interesting idea and I can see where it would make masking a tire much easier.

• Like 2

Treepep
On 4/7/2024 at 5:27 PM, Achto said:

Pulled one of my 953's out of hibernation, or should I say pushed. :) The only way I could get it to run while it was in my fake garage was by spraying gas down it's throat. Pushed it into the work shop, pulled the bowl off from the carb & found it dry as bone. While the bowl was off I worked the primer handle on the fuel pump and got nothing up to the carb. Not going to bother rebuilding the fuel pump. Instead I started prepping to install an electric fuel pump. I did this on my other 953 and have not regretted the decision.

IMG_20240407_135901989.jpg.be2c41f19bd8d0be4d0541550b66e7f0.jpg

Are you keeping the Jack o lantern?:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Treepep said:

Are you keeping the Jack o lantern?:D

For a while at least.

Painted that screen with what ever color @WHX?? handed me, think it was paint for marking on the ground. Then some one suggested that it should have a pumpkin face. 

Things like that happen with boredom & :occasion-xmas:

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

953 nut
9 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

hey Don - what plastic wrap is that you use on the tires and rims?

You can get it at Harbor Freight, Lowe's, HD  probably Wallyworld too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/moving-supplies/packing-tape-wrap/stretch-bubble-wrap.html

• Like 3

Pullstart
On 4/5/2024 at 6:58 PM, Pullstart said:

@953 nut I fired up Hot Wheels for the first time in a long time today!  I forget how good that HD muffler sounds!

On 4/5/2024 at 7:21 PM, ebinmaine said:

And no video for proof??

On 4/5/2024 at 8:25 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

:law-policeblue:

I took quite a bit of videos cruising tractors out.  I’m working on putting videos together, but dangit I never took video of Hot Wheels :hide:

Oh man, I guess I’ll have to fire him back up soon!  I realized this weekend that I have a lot of weak batteries!  I’ve made them all last quite a while, but when you acquire so many electric start rides in a short amount of time, it’s only a given they all die at the same time!  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Greentored said:

Flywheel Horse came out of the winter stables and pulled yard duty!

AWESOME!!!

I've seen videos of that thing running but how is it as far as stopping and starting. Do you just leave it running while you're working? Or is it fairly easy to get going again?

Brockport Bill
3 hours ago, c-series don said:

thanks don -- i sorta thought it was shrink wrap -- wanted to confirm -- i actually have various smaller roll widths we have been using for yrs  -- 4 inch 6 inch -- mostly to use to tie various loose items together that are awkward -- never thought to use for paint application -- i was thinking Uhaul has that stuff - but today i go past Harbor Frieght and HD etc - planning a stop per the suggestion here to buy some today -- looks like much better more efficient idea than newspaper etc for painting shield - - hope the C175 restore is going well -- Bill

• Like 3

Brockport Bill

so i just told my wife the story of you using shrink wrap to paint your tires -- she asks -- "how does he neatly fit the wrap around the rim edges"?  I said... i do not know, maybe tapes them ??? She says..... "why not wrap the entire tire, then use a knife and just cut out wrap around the rim edge hole" ???? I said "brilliant" -- so my question to you Don is -- how did you do edge of rim -- painters tape around edge of rims -- or cut a hole iin shrink wrap?  Bill

c-series don

@Brockport Bill I use painters tape, the shrink wrap would never adhere tight enough to the bead/edge of the rim. Especially using a paint gun it would blow underneath the shrink wrap. 

• Like 2

Brockport Bill
4 hours ago, c-series don said:

@Brockport Bill I use painters tape, the shrink wrap would never adhere tight enough to the bead/edge of the rim. Especially using a paint gun it would blow underneath the shrink wrap. 

Makes sense...I bought two widths of shrink wrap tape today...6 inch and 15 inch ..should do the job for my needs 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

IMG_1329.JPG.96592d4b704dc24828d8f374fbe4e6a5.JPG  

Ya know.....

If'n you wuz to hookonntah another trailer at that front hitch ...

You'd be done twice as fast. 

Maybe. 

• Haha 8

Blasterdad
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Ya know.....

If'n you wuz to hookonntah another trailer at that front hitch ...

You'd be done twice as fast. 

Maybe. 

Please don't encourage me or feed the :wh:, we have enough "issues" already. :ROTF:

• Haha 8

kpinnc

My "514-8" mutt had developed terribly sloppy steering lately. Since it had 520 tie rods and front axle, and the upper steering shaft bushing was tight, I knew it was the dreaded fan gear base. 

So I took out a spare, and added bushings top and bottom. I had to bore both to have thicker bushings, but it worked. 

And of course replacing it on a complete Classic machine is loads of fun... :rolleyes:

But, most of the slop is gone. No matter how many bearings, shims, and bushings you add, you never get it all out. Next I want to experiment with tightening up the gear lash. Short of replacing the fan gear with another pivot mechanism, that's the only place that slop exists. 

IMG_20240413_223145209.jpg

IMG_20240413_223154884.jpg

IMG_20240401_215356485.jpg

• Excellent 8

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, kpinnc said:

So I took out a spare, and added bushings top and bottom. I had to bore both to have thicker bushings, but it worked

What kind of machinery are you using? 

5 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Next I want to experiment with tightening up the gear lash. Short of replacing the fan gear with another pivot mechanism, that's the only place that slop exists.

I've considered replacing the fan gear altogether with some sort of 90⁰ gear box and universal joints. 

Really haven't looked into it much. 

Gear reduction/ ratio of course would be a primary factor. 

It'd be interesting to know what's out there that could be used.