Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Back up and running with 3/4" threaded rod... No cold rolled around local... :angry-tappingfoot:

Gonna see how this holds up. For $15 it's doing the trick... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Got pics?

You KNOW the rules. 

Can you keep that pivot fairly tight to reduce movement? 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
41 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Got pics?

You KNOW the rules. 

:hide:

:law-policeblue:

Can you keep that pivot fairly tight to reduce movement? 

Yes. Function is same as rod.

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2

Cee245

Adjusted the doors on my Newly acquired Cab to close good now.  New springs on the door mechanism. 

Also routed the cab to heat the inside with a drilled out belt guard.  The Onan puts off enough heat for it to be comfortable enough to wear a hoodie and work gloves. ... and ... ya know, jeans and such. lol

Was able to adjust the tall chute all the way forward and make a pile for our kids and a couple of their friends. 

With all the snow lately and 🥶 temps we've been seeing here in PA near lake Erie, can't say enough about how nice it is to blow snow without worry of it blasting me in the face with a gust of wind! 

@Ed Kennell ...I've kept up on it and it's still quiet as a 🐁😆 .... My neighbor is borrowing my 2 stage again this year and your bervac? upgrade looks sweet!  

20240120_003357.jpg

20240119_203145.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

Monstrosity

Alright I want to keep the stack but this guy doesn't want to use his tractor because its too loud... (I don't know how he's my child, must take after his mother...) I need to find a slim quieter muffler. So the stack will most likely be no more and want it to under the tractor so he can use more and enjoy it this year. Any suggestions on quiet mufflers??? 20230805_113621.jpg.a7fcc3706a144505dd01986ef22d16ce.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Monstrosity said:

Alright I want to keep the stack but this guy doesn't want to use his tractor because its too loud... (I don't know how he's my child, must take after his mother...) I need to find a slim quieter muffler. So the stack will most likely be no more and want it to under the tractor so he can use more and enjoy it this year. Any suggestions on quiet mufflers???  

Looks like you've got a Cub style muffler on there. 

That's about as quiet as you can find.  

Remember.... ALOT of the noise from an air-cooled Muffler is not coming out the end of the exhaust pipe.

You can try to turn it facing downward and away and that might help a little bit but the answer is probably going to be ear plugs.

• Like 1

953 nut
26 minutes ago, Monstrosity said:

Any suggestions on quiet mufflers???

Find a stock Harley muffler, many bikers take them off in favor of a custom one.     image.png.77aeb83c9eafe2958b95293e9127b527.png

221015051_953trophy.jpg.9500f10094d7151ff6bf747a0c13beb5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

ranger
28 minutes ago, Monstrosity said:

Alright I want to keep the stack but this guy doesn't want to use his tractor because its too loud... (I don't know how he's my child, must take after his mother...) I need to find a slim quieter muffler. So the stack will most likely be no more and want it to under the tractor so he can use more and enjoy it this year. Any suggestions on quiet mufflers??? 20230805_113621.jpg.a7fcc3706a144505dd01986ef22d16ce.jpg

You can buy ‘inserts’ to fit the outlet pipe of the muffler. Different diameters and lengths are available, just slide in and retain with a self tapping screw. I think they are meant for ‘pit bikes’ etc?

• Like 2

953 nut
12 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Back up and running with 3/4" threaded rod... No cold rolled around local... :angry-tappingfoot:

Gonna see how this holds up. For $15 it's doing the trick... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Cold rolled steel is only about 20% stronger than hot rolled. They probably used hot rolled at the factory and it has held up for several decades.       :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
12 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Cold rolled steel is only about 20% stronger than hot rolled. They probably used hot rolled at the factory and it has held up for several decades.       :twocents-02cents:

Sorry about the double post, guess my finger stuttered.  :hide:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Haha 1

Monstrosity
39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Remember.... ALOT of the noise from an air-cooled Muffler is not coming out the end of the exhaust pipe.

You can try to turn it facing downward and away and that might help a little bit but the answer is probably going to be ear plugs.

I do realize that yes, they are a loud engine, and he does have ear muffs that he uses. I'm going to try that turning the muffler down maybe adding an extension pipe/tailpipe I have conduit laying around. I do remember seeing and hearing quieter machines at the big show, ment to ask there but the kids were all over and the rain was coming lol 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Monstrosity said:

I do realize that yes, they are a loud engine, and he does have ear muffs that he uses. I'm going to try that turning the muffler down maybe adding an extension pipe/tailpipe I have conduit laying around. I do remember seeing and hearing quieter machines at the big show, ment to ask there but the kids were all over and the rain was coming lol 

It also occurs to me I've read about the Point Settings affecting noise.  

@Achto @squonk maybe one of you could elaborate? 

Timing on this is good because my own C160 Automatic is a touch loud as well.  

JCM
1 hour ago, Monstrosity said:

Alright I want to keep the stack but this guy doesn't want to use his tractor because its too loud... (I don't know how he's my child, must take after his mother...) :ROTF:20230805_113621.jpg.a7fcc3706a144505dd01986ef22d16ce.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

squonk

I had a K301 whose timing was advanced too far and it was lugging all the time which made it louder

• Like 3

ebinmaine
49 minutes ago, squonk said:

I had a K301 whose timing was advanced too far and it was lugging all the time which made it louder

Do you reset the points to a smaller gap?

• Like 1

squonk
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't remember the gap. I just kept adjusting them until the timing light was right on the mark. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Roger R
2 hours ago, JCM said:

With this setup I think the starter makes as much noise as the engine at an idle.  I think I bought the muffler from a Simplicity dealer a lot of years ago. Tip of the stack is bent slightly away from the operator

WH 2022-6-3 c.jpg

WH 2022-6-3 b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Desko

Was able to actually use the snow blower this year and the 520 handles it well! Even with all that weight out there it's a breeze to steer where my 416 would be heavy handed. Even with no weight or chains the ag tires on it seems to be doing fairly well but it certainly isn't like the 416 that had turfs which was a tank. 

IMG_5273.jpeg

• Excellent 4

Achto
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Smaller gap retards the timing, Larger gap advances timing.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
12 hours ago, Monstrosity said:

Any suggestions on quiet mufflers??? 

The larger the diameter of the muffler, the better resonation it will have. Suppressing the sound better. A larger tail pipe from the muffler will produce a lower tone as well. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Lagersolut

Worm gear and the chute were giving me a fit,  drifting past the teeth - Toro is proud of their parts - 27 each for guides 7 each for the " special " screws according to them  - I measured a screw it's basically a #10 x 1" hex head self tapping sheet metal screw - ordered a box of 50 stainless for 10 bucks - the spring washer and flat behind the worm gear are both shot - for now I added a nylon washer behind the spring washer to keep it centered - have stuff on order to get this right

IMG_8634.jpg

• Like 4

Horse Newbie
On 1/18/2024 at 5:23 PM, ML3 said:

Did a little plowing today after I got home from work. Predicting a significant snow event starting tonight going thru Saturday afternoon.  General snow followed up with lake effect snow.

Single mom lives next door. Her son is 9. There's no father figure around. He was shoveling driveway. I went over & asked if he wanted to plow w/tractor? He lit up & said  "SURE!" He could just reach the clutch. He isn't strong enough to lift the plow. He did really good. He immediately figured out clutch/brake.  Set idle lower & just had him use reverse & 1st. I lowerd & raised plow for him. I told his mom if I can find a cheap tractor I'd work on it w/him & he could have it. 

In garage making sure equipment is ready & of course having a few beers too!

You’re a good man !

• Like 5

Horse Newbie

Did a little plowing today after I got home from work. Predicting a significant snow event starting tonight going thru Saturday afternoon.  General snow followed up with lake effect snow.

Single mom lives next door. Her son is 9. There's no father figure around. He was shoveling driveway. I went over & asked if he wanted to plow w/tractor? He lit up & said  "SURE!" He could just reach the clutch. He isn't strong enough to lift the plow. He did really good. He immediately figured out clutch/brake.  Set idle lower & just had him use reverse & 1st. I lowerd & raised plow for him. I told his mom if I can find a cheap tractor I'd work on it w/him & he could have it. 

You’re a good man !

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

You’re a good man !

Oops… double post…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Haha 3