Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Lee1977
On 12/13/2023 at 3:06 PM, pfrederi said:

Tale of two hubs,  The C-160 I am working on spent a lot of time outside and everything is resisting disassembly.  Got one hub of after a good fight only to find it had been broken and welded.  The other hub had oil on the axle from a leaky seal so I had hoped it would come off several days of Kroil and today heat ...have never broken one before with this puller...

Steering wheel isn't cooperating neither is the roll pin in the clutch cross shaft...  Hate to think about the hitch pin

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

You got part of it off.  My Raider one slid right off, the other I could even break until I saw almost to the axle on both sides, and it still resisted.

Edited by Lee1977

pfrederi

Small but expensive steps forward. Cut off remains of the hub. Finally got the end off the clutch shaft but at the price of a a couple drill bits, a cobalt drill bit, roll pin punch and a Dremel Carbide burr.  Propane heating kroil and roll pin punch got no where.  Thought the roll pin is hollow if I drilled out the opening with a small drill bit Kroil would get in better.  Was able to drill in from both sides but only to the shaft,  then it wouldn't drill.  A few more tries and drilling stopped when i got to the shaft.  I know roll pins are tough so I got out the Oxy/acytelene rig heated the whole thing Cherry red and let it cool down thinking it would remove some of the temper.  Broke a cobalt bit drilling  Finally wore my way trough with a dremel carbide burr but..broke one of those.  Still had to use puller to finish the job.  No movement on the steering wheel I have  20 ton press but I really don't what to cut the frame of it to get the steering wheel into it .  After all this I am rally not looking forward to the hitch pin:(

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

8ntruck

Had the 14-8 out yesterday and today for a bit. 

Had to carry some stuff down to the lake house yesterday, so it got a little cart hauling exercise.  While I was doing that, the neighbor had his Massey Harris out grading the road with a box blade.  As he came by my driveway, I flagged him down and had him leave a box full of dirt in a low spot in my driveway.  After hauling the stuff to the lake house, I dropped the cart and smooth out the box full of dirt.

Today's exercise was using the 14-8 to move the pontoon and trailer to the road, so I could hook it to the truck and deliver it to the boat dealer for winterization and storage.

• Like 3

Sparky

Decided to mulch up the last few leaves with the 414 and 42” RD deck… well the mice had moved in so spent quite a bit of time evicting them and all their house building materials. 

Then off to do some mulching only to have the PTO to deck belt snap :handgestures-thumbdown: after only 25’ of mulching. 
  Guess mulching wasn’t meant to happen..

IMG_1032.jpeg

IMG_1033.jpeg

• Sad 14

BrianKoch

Gentlemen,

Today I began to tear down my ‘69 Charger 12 and uncovered a “problem” with the intake valve. What’s happened here? 

Intake:

IMG_1573.jpeg

Exhaust:

IMG_1574.jpeg

Edited by BrianKoch
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

D_Mac
43 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Decided to mulch up the last few leaves with the 414 and 42” RD deck… well the mice had moved in so spent quite a bit of time evicting them and all their house building materials. 

Then off to do some mulching only to have the PTO to deck belt snap :handgestures-thumbdown: after only 25’ of mulching. 
  Guess mulching wasn’t meant to happen..

Find out what caused the belt to snap like that ?

Sparky
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

Find out what caused the belt to snap like that ?

I have no idea how old the belt was and never checked it for cracks. It might just have been its time. 
  Didn’t investigate, just backed it into the shed and climbed onto another tractor with a deck :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

pfrederi
1 hour ago, BrianKoch said:

Gentlemen,

Today I began to tear down my ‘69 Charger 12 and uncovered a “problem” with the intake valve. What’s happened here? 

Intake:

IMG_1573.jpeg

Exhaust:

IMG_1574.jpeg

Valve keeper tried to escape.  Note the metal shavings on the tappet nut.  Issue to TBD did the keeper fail or is eh machined groove in the valve stem bad...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

BrianKoch
43 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Valve keeper tried to escape.  Note the metal shavings on the tappet nut.  Issue to TBD did the keeper fail or is eh machined groove in the valve stem bad...

Ah. Is the fix as simple as replacing with new valve? 

• Like 1

mrc

hello pfrederi,

for the hitch pin i use my snap-on ball joint press kit  (BJP-1)

works well

regards

mike

Edited by mrc
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Steering wheel victory.  Previous owner had replaced roll pin with Gr8 bolt that was frozen in place. Finally got it drilled out (oversize now) but wheel would not budge.  Have used this method in the past but had to use the torch and get her glowing then wail away with a BFH and impact socket.. Once it cools I will clean up the top end of the shaft and the wheel will come off.  The arm plastic covering was missing probably  burned off by PO when he worked on it.  Next challenge the hitch pin...wish me luck..

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
11 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Next challenge the hitch pin.

I just use a cut-off wheel to cut the pin off on both sides of the tranny lug.      Then drill out the part left in the lug from the right side. So the larger lug is taking the force from the drilling and pounding.  I usually drill it open to 7/16" but not quite thru.  Then use a long 3/8" drift and the BFH to drive it out.   This way you are actually pulling and stretching  instead of pushing and compressing the pin.

The part left in the hitch goes to the vise, press, or drill press.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

rjg854
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

wish me luck..

Good luck :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
22 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

something fishy under the fender pan

A little winter hourse cleaning in order?    :ychain:

• Like 2

WHX??
10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

A little winter hourse cleaning in order?    :ychain:

I wished... wash equipment drained & put away for a long winter nap. Often lay awake thinking of ways to get running water in the shop. 

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH
14 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Generally speaking you'd run a waterline underground from the house to the barn.  ;)   Now you won't have to lay awake thinking about it anymore.  I wouldn't want to miss your beauty sleep.  :teasing-poke:

Or, @WHX?? you could fill up 5 gallon buckets with water and run it to the shop...

Tada!!! Running water. :handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Haha 8
  • Heart 1

wallfish
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Often lay awake thinking of ways to get running water in the shop. 

You can usually find these 275 gallon tanks local for about $100-$200.

Empty for the winter or maybe insulate and use a tank heater to keep it from freezing.

SAP_EZ-BULK-275-g.jpg.542436edc02839bbcbda69534a90b40a.jpg

Add a pump and viola, water in the shop. Or you can use a boat washdown pump. They automatically start and stop with water pressure too.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Lion-97080503-Shallow-pressure/dp/B015Z7JLSE/ref=sr_1_11?crid=42E4HT76HKAU&keywords=shallow+well+pump+with+pressure+tank&qid=1702911837&s=hi&sprefix=shallow+well+pump%2Ctools%2C100&sr=1-11

Add a small water heater for hot water too? Lots of options and 110v on demand types too

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Mini-Tank-Tronic-3000-ES4/dp/B0148O65IE/ref=sxin_23_sbv_search_btf?content-id=amzn1.sym.5795aee5-71f0-4369-b632-e8c78407f2cf%3Aamzn1.sym.5795aee5-71f0-4369-b632-e8c78407f2cf&cv_ct_cx=tank%2Bheater&keywords=tank%2Bheater&pd_rd_i=B0148O65IE&pd_rd_r=b2db89a4-795d-47e7-85a0-b06eb883aedf&pd_rd_w=BltCw&pd_rd_wg=6GDnc&pf_rd_p=5795aee5-71f0-4369-b632-e8c78407f2cf&pf_rd_r=41VCPDYAW1DEXS7S338R&qid=1702910262&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=1-1-5190daf0-67e3-427c-bea6-c72c1df98776&th=1

Outdoor sink ?

Lots of possibilities

Maybe this will help with that middle of the night "light bulb moment" ?

Edited by wallfish
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead
5 hours ago, wallfish said:

You can usually find these 275 gallon tanks local for about $100-$200.

Empty for the winter or maybe insulate and use a tank heater to keep it from freezing.

SAP_EZ-BULK-275-g.jpg.542436edc02839bbcbda69534a90b40a.jpg

Look in the left back of my Tracta...

C8426D18-EA7D-4652-8FEC-E646854FC28C.jpeg.b0f5b663a853e69927da7e58790efa3d.jpeg

or better do it like this...

BB4646F9-4C07-4BF4-8386-BEDB880A992C.jpeg.2e570bf5f4e47eb86020620efae91a11.jpeg

save your Back.

i got it used with 20 litre Glyzerin inside for 20 bucks from a Farm 2 valley‘s ahead.

So it have a drainvalve in 2“.

filled with rain from the roof...

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WHX?? Get one of them fancy plastic water containers , keep the fire low under it so it doesn't melt. Then you can bathe before going in the house. messing with you is almost as much fun as messing with @squonk:ROTF:

• Haha 3

WHX??

You guys are all nutz... looks like alot of work and 'sides... looking to running water so as when she kicks me out there for buying another tractor! :lol:

Jeepers cats no room for that big jug...already tight for room for the lathe and shop recliner @c-series don says I gotta git. :D

• Haha 8