Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Lee1977
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Yeah, the newer, 3-bolt attach-a-matic mid hitches are a nice improvement over the 2-bolt flavor for operating. Are the dimensions different vis-a-vie how implements attach?

I only used the later model decks and the three bolt holes in the Raider frame are at the same place as the C's and the 300, 400 and 500..

I would have had trouble with the 42" deck with the wide tires and the 8 1/2" wide rims, but these rims have a 3 1/4" back set  so the rear width 34" .

These wheels and tires would need wheel spacers to run on anything that has the gas tank under the rear fender

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

tamara

see how good that works!?!?

• Haha 2

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Can't believe that @Achto didn't have a shelve set in the bearing drawer..

You must have checked the wrong drawer. I just checked & there are 2 unopened sleeves of ten in there. :thumbs2:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

WHGuy413
9 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

ive mounted the tank and it seems like itll clear imma test run it today

Can’t wait for the update!

• Like 1

Colby G

Just got a 211-4 and was wondering what year it was and any other info I could get.

1694821810270174272384963917645.jpg

16948218634738145098735661850946.jpg

• Like 3

ML3
On 9/13/2023 at 9:31 PM, WHGuy413 said:

I personally haven’t put one in but my friend installed a Kohler engine of similar size in his old Rj-58 (mine now). Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of it in it but he took the gas tank off and used the original tank under the hood. He also modified the air filter assembly to get it to fit under the hood. 

I'm gonna find out probably over the winter depending on work schedule. Have a pretty rusty Suburban with no engine that I got really cheap. Going to do the rat rod theme & already bought the Predator 212. Did a few modifications to Predator as you can see. I know fuel tank will have to be removed to clear shifter. Plant to relocate existing fuel tank or purchase one that will be able to utilize the original fuel tank location. 

IMG_20230428_141301349_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230627_194823354.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

TonyToro
1 hour ago, ML3 said:

I'm gonna find out probably over the winter depending on work schedule. Have a pretty rusty Suburban with no engine that I got really cheap. Going to do the rat rod theme & already bought the Predator 212. Did a few modifications to Predator as you can see. I know fuel tank will have to be removed to clear shifter. Plant to relocate existing fuel tank or purchase one that will be able to utilize the original fuel tank location. 

IMG_20230428_141301349_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230627_194823354.jpg

That little predator are very capable engines. My suggestion is to remove the fuel tank and get a cylinder shaped one and mount it on the front or rear of the tractor. I’m thinking would follow the rat rod look.

• Like 3

ML3
1 hour ago, TonyToro said:

That little predator are very capable engines. My suggestion is to remove the fuel tank and get a cylinder shaped one and mount it on the front or rear of the tractor. I’m thinking would follow the rat rod look.

There's a company in California that sells performance parts for Predators. They also sell minibike, go cart parts too. They have a nice cylindrical fuel tank that will work under the hood & utilize the stock fill location. However, I do like your ideas of front or rear mounting it also 🤔 

Got a few other projects that are priority before I get to the Suburban rat rod 

• Like 2

Handy Don

Finished fabricating a front weight for the 854 out of some ½” steel plate I picked up at Logan Steel’s bargain barn off the cutoffs and scrap pile for cheap. I think this will be enough for my purposes but, if not, I can add some more plate to the front.

Should I offer to rent out that nice flat front for advertising space? ;)

image.png.2398056576408969901cb981a57f23f7.png

image.png.98a7020e580f88ec1474e97277477e96.png

image.png.48c57a4956c5bc4dc1ea30a8dee2d092.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
34 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Should I offer to rent out that nice flat front for advertising space?

:rs:   

• Excellent 3
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

:thumbs:  

peter lena

@WHGuy413  your like to bring these back to life , statement  and your marvel mystery oil , instantly makes me think , of a vital part of a recovery  for me , run it in with a treated gallon of gas , heat it up , drop carb bowl , after getting hot , do an oil change like rotella 30 wt. also use  https://www.amazon.com/Rislone-4405-Supplement-Concentrate-  in my recovery , and then , add it to every oil change , easy directions on bottle , 2oz per QT  of oil. the hot running time , will start to reduce oil burn and you will notice , oil coloring change , engine running easier / quieter . been doing this for years now , no engine smoke at all , engines runs easier , smoother . realize this is a you can't do that to many , my oils stay more stable , and do a better cleaning job . do it at every oil change / service , on my 3 horses , always trying  something , this works , only a suggestion , also use lucas synthetic gear lube  , smooth / very quiet . pete

• Like 1

Handy Don
6 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Should I offer to rent out that nice flat front for advertising space?

5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

After testing today, I can feel the improvement, but it’s clear that I will need more weight there -- so another two ½” layers will get it up to 45 lbs, I think. Then I’ll have to add a handle to the top, as well!

Meantime...Hey Karl @admin, would you be ok with having the Red Square logo on there? My grandchildren are also pushing for the tractor to have a name and to put that on there as well.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, Handy Don said:

45 lbs

You'll be happier with that but may even desire more. 

Trina's 867 has a 40 lb weight on a couple pieces of angle iron. 

It certainly could be heavier. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
On 9/16/2023 at 12:00 AM, WHGuy413 said:

I do love bringing these things back to life after they have been sitting for who knows how many years.

I think this is true for most of us! 

Well done! :thumbs:

• Like 2

TonyToro
On 9/16/2023 at 11:28 AM, Handy Don said:

Finished fabricating a front weight for the 854 out of some ½” steel plate I picked up at Logan Steel’s bargain barn off the cutoffs and scrap pile for cheap. I think this will be enough for my purposes but, if not, I can add some more plate to the front.

Should I offer to rent out that nice flat front for advertising space? ;)

image.png.2398056576408969901cb981a57f23f7.png

image.png.98a7020e580f88ec1474e97277477e96.png

image.png.48c57a4956c5bc4dc1ea30a8dee2d092.png

Nice work!

We love going to Logan steel. Always come back with more than we need. Most of the custom made parts on our pulling tractors come from there.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@ tony Toro  thanks for the lead on LOGAN STEEL , have to make the trip , looks like home to me , pete

• Like 2

Handy Don
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Yeah, I’m thinking since I can easily remove it when doing mowing or other tasks where the weight isn’t helpful, I’ll aim for 50 lbs.

I’ll be checking at Logan again on my next trip in that direction.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You'll be happier with that but may even desire more. 

I have 50# + the bracket on the front of my plow machines.102_2648.JPG.1dabe5d165c592dd06702c8b153f6e6b.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have 50#

I've been scanning for weights similar to that one.

Astonishing what cast iron is going for these days.

I have a set of 75 lb. concrete-in-plastic rear wheel weights in pristine condition but it doesn’t make sense to put one of those on the front. 🙃

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
41 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I've been scanning for weights similar to that one.

These were part of a calibration system on a dynamometer that I replaced.   The weights were calibrated and certified by the Pa div of weights and measures.  You can see the round lead seal in the end of the handle.   The handle holds lead shot that was used to fine tune the weight.

Too nice to go to the scrap yard. 

• Like 3

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

part of a calibration system on a dynamometer that I replaced

If you come across anything similar, please drop me a PM!

• Like 1