Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

davem1111

Did some mowing with the 312-A yesterday, but I tried to start the GT-1848 and it wouldn't start, so I had to go into diagnostic mode.  This is the one with the Honda GX610 re-power.  Turns out the fuel solenoid on the carb was shot, so it was staying closed. I don't need to worry about gravity flooding the carb, so I opted to just cut off the pin so it's always open. It was full of gas & possibly some water, so I guess the O-ring hadn't been sealing properly.  I don't think most WH engines have these solenoids but the Honda engines do, and I think the Vanguards do.  I may replace it at some point but the tractor runs great again, so I pulled my daughter's boyfriend's project car so I could mow where it was sitting, then mowed some of the rougher stuff with the GT.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

kpinnc
46 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Washed the 1884 Work Horse GT-1600 and the 1994 520H…

Good grief Tim! Can I bring a couple over and have you clean them up? :D

• Haha 3

Horse Newbie
41 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Good grief Tim! Can I bring a couple over and have you clean them up? :D

Certainly… I’ll clean ‘em up so we can go to The Big Show !

• Excellent 2

TonyToro Jr.

Put the 42in RD deck back on the 310-8 today greased up and sharpened the blades. All ready for mowing season!!

5ECBD41E-C88E-45C8-9BC4-15D41EA98717.jpeg

38264C10-7C9F-41F0-BD0D-282D051E590C.jpeg

E9A08822-855E-4B9C-9C01-512D0774A419.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
On 5/5/2023 at 5:30 PM, pfrederi said:

WH is my "Mudder" tractor  fat tires LSD no weight no ruts

I love the fact that you have several purpose built machines. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 5/5/2023 at 8:56 PM, Horse Newbie said:

1884 Work Horse

Hey is that one o them Super Early production models?? 

• Haha 3

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Hey is that one o them Super Early production models?? 

Fixed it…

• Like 1

spitfire

Hello all,

I got me a 7hp kohler model early 60s?

Needs steering work, and the belt cover.

Does someone know where to tind the model number other then on the dashboard?

Rounded mowerdeck, electric starter

753?

Edited by spitfire

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Hello all,

I got me a 7hp kohler model early 60s?

Needs steering work, and the belt cover.

Does someone know where to tind the model number other then on the dashboard?

Early 60’s have the rounded hoods and, if extant, the model number would be on a decal affixed to the left side of the hoodstand tucked up near the hood itself. They rarely survive.

The serial number would be at the top of the tag that shows the gearshift pattern. These are on the hoodstand facing the operator.

Post a few pictures of your tractor and the forum sleuths will most likely give you the model.

Best angles are from sides at the level of the engine, from the rear at the level of the seat, and of the hoodstand and controls with a clear view of the dash. A photo of the engine dataplate is also helpful for the engine model, serial, and build spec.

• Like 1

spitfire

Pics tomorow its to dark now, no decals on the hoodstand survived enough to read a number.

TonyToro Jr.

Mowed the yard today with the 310-8 with the 42” RD deck

35A1D162-C0E7-456E-B6FE-7671BC8F1E55.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

TJ5208

Well that was interesting locked the diff and pulled me out without no help. Diff even locks on a hill.

Edited by TJ Salyers
  • Thanks 1

spitfire

Here are some pics.

20230511_110002.jpg

20230511_105940.jpg

20230511_105910.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

spitfire
11 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Early 60’s have the rounded hoods and, if extant, the model number would be on a decal affixed to the left side of the hoodstand tucked up near the hood itself. They rarely survive.

The serial number would be at the top of the tag that shows the gearshift pattern. These are on the hoodstand facing the operator.

Post a few pictures of your tractor and the forum sleuths will most likely give you the model.

Best angles are from sides at the level of the engine, from the rear at the level of the seat, and of the hoodstand and controls with a clear view of the dash. A photo of the engine dataplate is also helpful for the engine model, serial, and build spec.

20230511_112326.jpg

20230511_112941.jpg

• Excellent 2

spitfire

There was paint over the tag, so i got some numbers.

20230511_114002.jpg

62- 17989?

Edited by spitfire
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger

I had a dog point screw slip out of the shifter block on my 314-8 mowing tractor yesterday.  I was on the tractor pulling out of the garage and the shifter felt Resl loose and when placed in what I thought was a forward gear -nothing. - no movement.  

So I got off the tractor and did a look see.  Shifter looked ok but I assumed it was the dog point screw.   It happened last year while mowing.  I had to remove seat, seat pan and shifter panel to reinstall.   I use the longer one inch dog point screws I buy from McMaster Carr.  I believe that vibration must be partly the cause of the dog point screw moving.   I probably should have used some permatex blue on the threads but did not.  I guess I will just have to wait and see if this becomes an annual thing. 

F92A4B80-74CF-4530-9DCF-93C56CB30041.jpeg

A25E3214-E18F-4D23-B579-74440D511058.jpeg

CC240AC3-3964-4250-9636-66CE7E4EBA60.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
5 hours ago, spitfire said:

There was paint over the tag, so i got some numbers.

20230511_114002.jpg

62- 17989?

I'm leaning toward a 1962 “702".

Basing this on the style of the front axle and the dashboard, the starter button, the “62” prefix on the serial number tag, the rear fender shape, and the engine having only a single pulley belt on the starter/generator. Of course, over its 60 years it is possible things have been altered or swapped so the state of “originality” is unclear. The yellow paint on the engine is a bit of a puzzle.

Things I noticed:

- there is no cover on the belt connecting the engine to the transaxle. The cover incorporates an integral “belt stop” when the clutch is disengaged that lets you shift into a gear without grinding. Regular grinding of the gears will wear or even break components in the transaxle

- there is no cover on the belt connecting the starter/generator to the engine

- the seat isl from a different year of tractor

- the mower deck is also from a more recent year (likely 1964 or newer)

- the bottom front of the hood has been cut away

Others with sharper eyes will surely notice more details.

You may want to start a new topic for your new acquisition rather than imbed it in this ongoing thread.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 4

spitfire
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

I'm leaning toward a 1962 “702".

Basing this on the style of the front axle and the dashboard, the starter button, the “62” prefix on the serial number tag, the rear fender shape, and the engine having only a single pulley belt on the starter/generator. Of course, over its 60 years it is possible things have been altered or swapped so the state of “originality” is unclear. The yellow paint on the engine is a bit of a puzzle.

Things I noticed:

- there is no cover on the belt connecting the engine to the transaxle. The cover incorporates an integral “belt stop” when the clutch is disengaged that lets you shift into a gear without grinding. Regular grinding of the gears will wear or even break components in the transaxle

- there is no cover on the belt connecting the starter/generator to the engine

- the seat isl from a different year of tractor

- the mower deck is also from a more recent year (likely 1964 or newer)

- the bottom front of the hood has been cut away

Others with sharper eyes will surely notice more details.

You may want to start a new topic for your new acquisition rather than imbed it in this ongoing thread.

The covers are indeed not present, i whould like to make them. If someone can get me picture and messures i whould be verry gratefull.

Yes the hood was cut to ma,e it possible to open when front weight is on. Hart chaped ftont weight is that stock?

I whould like to repair the hood at a later date, so its stock again.

Engine is red painted yelow, maybe to match tge racing colors of the sticker...

note: this a european model, could it be that seats and mowerdeck are diferent?

Lots of info allready thx!

20230511_182853.jpg

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 2

Handy Don
46 minutes ago, spitfire said:

The covers are indeed not present, i whould like to make them. If someone can get me picture and messures i whould be verry gratefull.

Yes the hood was cut to ma,e it possible to open when front weight is on. Hart chaped ftont weight is that stock?

I whould like to repair the hood at a later date, so its stock again.

Engine is red painted yelow, maybe to match tge racing colors of the sticker...

note: this a european model, could it be that seats and mowerdeck are diferent?

Lots of info allready thx!

20230511_182853.jpg

The belt covers are not a trivial pieces of sheet metal, it would take at least some sheet metal skill to recreate them. I’ve seen some measurements, but no detailed design drawings. The missing part of the cut hood is also pretty complex, though often these are ruined by rust. Sad to see all these parts missing.

Even with shipping from the US, you might be better off finding used belt guards and other parts for both sides of the engine. Post your list in the “Wanted” section--give as much detail as you can but DO NOT post personal info like email or phone numbers--use the Personal Message feature of the forum to keep this info away from search engines that crawl the rest of the site!

I didn’t see a picture of the front weight, but if it is iron with the words “Wheel Horse” in raised letters across the front of the casting, it is likely authentic, uncommon, and worth as much as the entire rest of the tractor.

image.png.0e0a75241e32de88cd56cfff41df20f5.png

Possibly the seating was different on Euro models, but unlikely. Mower deck is a standard one, only from a time later than the tractor--fully compatible, though (I have one like it for my 1964 854).

Edited by Handy Don

D_Mac

More to come....

20230511_124601.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

spitfire
46 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The belt covers are not a trivial pieces of sheet metal, it would take at least some sheet metal skill to recreate them. I’ve seen some measurements, but no detailed design drawings. The missing part of the cut hood is also pretty complex, though often these are ruined by rust. Sad to see all these parts missing.

Even with shipping from the US, you might be better off finding used belt guards and other parts for both sides of the engine. Post your list in the “Wanted” section--give as much detail as you can but DO NOT post personal info like email or phone numbers--use the Personal Message feature of the forum to keep this info away from search engines that crawl the rest of the site!

I didn’t see a picture of the front weight, but if it is iron with the words “Wheel Horse” in raised letters across the front of the casting, it is likely authentic, uncommon, and worth as much as the entire rest of the tractor.

image.png.0e0a75241e32de88cd56cfff41df20f5.png

Possibly the seating was different on Euro models, but unlikely. Mower deck is a standard one, only from a time later than the tractor--fully compatible, though (I have one like it for my 1964 854).

20230511_194648.jpg

spitfire

No wheelhorse on it i think, shape looks alike.

I left it and the wheel weights behind, i was to heavy for travel.

About the covers i think i can do it. Im no sheetmetal guy.

A profesionel metal worker with confidence 😄 i am.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, spitfire said:

No wheelhorse on it i think, shape looks alike.

I left it and the wheel weights behind, i was to heavy for travel.

About the covers i think i can do it. Im no sheetmetal guy.

A profesionel metal worker with confidence 😄 i am.

Maybe someone on the forum more familiar with the Euro models will chime in on the front weight. Possibly locally sourced and sold with the WH? The black paint, however, would suggest it was from another brand of tractor. The holder, though, did seem to match the tractor pretty well so either a conscientious builder or a factory item. Another example is here.

Can you still get the rear weights? If they are the iron type, they, too, are prized acquisitions.

I don’t have a tractor that would have the same belt covers, but plenty of members here do. If you have metal skills, and time, you are definitely well-positioned to tackle making them. This would be a good post in the wanted section. Meantime, here is the OM and other useful documents for the 702. Search the Files (Documents) section of the forum for other documents of interest!

• Like 1