Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Oldskool
22 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Think applying mineral oil will bring this seat back?

It may save what you have left?

cleat
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Think applying mineral oil will bring this seat back?

20210914_195740.jpg.6e694cbec19d874ab847b45ef6ecc704.jpg

Sure, just soak it well then toss on a match and it will be good as new.......

Just kidding, that one just might need a recover or outright replacement.

8ntruck
21 minutes ago, cleat said:

Sure, just soak it well then toss on a match and it will be good as new.......

Just kidding, that one just might need a recover or outright replacement.

Ok.  Use mineral oil on the seat like kerosene for spot remover - apply to stain, soak overnight, apply match in the morning.  Spot will be removed!

Seriously, I am debating the possibilities of replacing it with a Northern Tool seat for a bill and a quarter, or recovering it myself for probably half of that.

I'll learn more by recovering it.  Think I will end up tearing the seat down to the shell to make sure there is enough there to be worth recovering.  Besides, if I recover it, I can work up some sort of cool custom cover. :D

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

learn more by recovering

Agreed. 

If you replace the foam be very careful to buy the correct density. 

We recovered the seat on Cinnamon Horse C160 and used a foam that's not dense enough. Very near might as well not be any. 

• Haha 1

lynnmor
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Seriously, I am debating the possibilities of replacing it with a Northern Tool seat for a bill and a quarter, or recovering it myself for probably half of that.

I'll learn more by recovering it.  Think I will end up tearing the seat down to the shell to make sure there is enough there to be worth recovering.  Besides, if I recover it, I can work up some sort of cool custom cover. :D

Recovering a molded seat like that is nearly impossible.  I contacted one of the best shops in that business and he said just buy a new seat.  Even if you could piece together a cover, will it be waterproof? 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Recovering a molded seat like that is nearly impossible.  I contacted one of the best shops in that business and he said just buy a new seat.  Even if you could piece together a cover, will it be waterproof? 

Absolutely a valid point.

To do it correctly would be a challenge to say the least.

In my particular case I don't mind the wrinkles in the corners at all and because those are there my seat is waterproof. That said however, it doesn't even get left out in the rain so it doesn't really matter.

Probably would have to do at least two or three smaller cushions individually to really do it right.

SylvanLakeWH

Actually, I did a quick job on a seat like that and it works fine. Is it cushy? Nope. But it works for about $5 in vinyl…

Used 1/2” pvc board and an old camping sleeping pad…wrapped vinyl and stapled. Held perfectly so far…

See post 37 here:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

Oldskool
58 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Actually, I did a quick job on a seat like that and it works fine. Is it cushy? Nope. But it works for about $5 in vinyl…

Used 1/2” pvc board and an old camping sleeping pad…wrapped vinyl and stapled. Held perfectly so far…

I did the same thing on

Project Snowdrift.  Its fairly comfy and also water proof. 

I was looking online this morning for a universal preformed vinyl shell for low back seats.  I didn't find one but was pretty sure I have seen them before. Maybe I wasn't using the proper search term?

• Like 1

D_Mac

Vinyl is tuff to bring back from being dry because it dosnt absorb anything you rub into it like leather would. 30 plus years in the leather repair business thought me at least that much. I always replace the seat with a new one. Keep looking you can find them on sale. Last one I got I got online for 75 bucks delivered. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Be careful after you treat you r seat no matter what you decide to use.  Some will make it really slippery.  I almost fell off my horse a few year ago after i sprayed some Armour all on the seat.  Some other stuff I have tried also made it slippery...

• Haha 3

Oldskool
19 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Be careful after you treat you r seat no matter what you decide to use.  Some will make it really slippery.  I almost fell off my horse a few year ago after i sprayed some Armour all on the seat.  Some other stuff I have tried also made it slippery...

First time I ever tried Armour All was in high school.  I was cleaning my truck to take this girl out on a date. On my way there the first hard left hand turn I almost ended up on the passenger side.

YUP that Stuff IS slippery. 

After i picked her up I made every hard RIGHT hand turn I could. 😃😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Wheel Horse 3D
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Or you could go the patented sticky route!

20210624_200052.jpg

• Haha 3

squonk
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

There isn't anything like Armor All on a motorcycle seat! :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Armor All on a .... seat!

Vinyl semi truck...

• Haha 1

peter lena

@kpinnc hope you get to try the lubriplate  chain and cable spray , pry mine up at a 45 deg angle in the sun , and it really gets things hot and dry ,  at least a couple of hours , it stains the metal black , I  do the same thing every time I touch it up . never had any wear off . also do the spindles ,  sharpen the blades with a small fine file , oil spray to retain edge . that procedure along with lucas xtra heavy duty polyurea chassis grease in the spindle bearings and the same pto drive bearings , makes for some solid quiet operation. since going over to this set up , my decks have been bombproof , no rot very little build up ,and no whining noisy bearings . this is what I do , was tired of repetitive bearing failure , and underside deck issues . pictures above on rustproofing deck maintenance, is on my decks . detail question ? just ask , pete 

peter lena

@cleat  , https://www.agrisupply.com/universal-tractor-seat/p/14119/?sid=asf10&eid=Easf10&zmam=77232640&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=14119&eid=gl020116&sid=google&gclid=Cj0KCQjws4aKBhDPARIsAIWH0JWAxsFH-odpY4rTTTNe0cjcugegzqyuYNHSdQ7QiQqjk5dTFL1AQAgaAuUWEALw_wcB   have 3 of these  seats on my horses , move down on page to seat base measurements , measure yours , wheel horse is there , 7 x 7 1/2 " , have them for years now , no problems , good price too , pete

• Like 1

8ntruck
16 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I was thinking of doing a bottom pad and a back pad.  Waterproof?  Not too worried about that, as inside storage is planned.  Mulling over how to build backing boards to match the contour of the seat shell.  Get a bunch of veneer (sp?) and lay up my own 'plywood' using the seat shell for a form?

@Wheel Horse 3D - that looks like a Red & Green inspired solution.

Edited by 8ntruck

Renrag

With putting the 12.5 x10 4wheeler tires on rear I had to extend the deck wheels out further. First try I just used all-thread, but that hasn't worked out to well, the grass bends it, so now I've got another set of wheels to replace the replacements that got mangled. The shaft size is bigger, so I'm grinding down approximately between 9/16 to 5/8 rod not sure on exactly, to 7/16 on ends to thread and nut. My tap and die is smaller then rod, and rod won't fit bracket without drilling. Any way I'm working on that to level deck back out after the mangled mess of all-thread and what's left of a wheel dilemma I've been dealing with. Any other  ideas how to extend wheels approximately 2.5 inches out guys, as you can see in pre painted old pic how the deck wheels stick out further to allow the larger rear tires.

Screenshot_20200904-215008_Video Player.jpg

• Like 2

Maxwell-8

I finaly after owning my first horse for 10 months got a ride out here whitout any issues, don't mind the fuel tank tho..

Have been waiting on parts, and then the next thing in line failed.:snooty:

But dang, I like riding this horse already the most, more then the 312,314 or C175. seating position is more relaxed:auto-driving:

DSC_0514.JPG

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

8ntruck

Interesting bit of trivia.  

Ever since I mentioned Northern Tool in a post talking about garden tractor seats, I have been getting Northern Tool ads for tractor seats on the sign in page for the forum.

Methinks that Big Brother is watching.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wheel Horse 3D
19 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I was thinking of doing a bottom pad and a back pad.  Waterproof?  Not too worried about that, as inside storage is planned.  Mulling over how to build backing boards to match the contour of the seat shell.  Get a bunch of veneer (sp?) and lay up my own 'plywood' using the seat shell for a form?

@Wheel Horse 3D - that looks like a Red & Green inspired solution.

Tried a coat of flex seal just before Big Show and it just didnt cure! Now, it either finally cured, or has all stuck to the seat of my britches instead!

If youre handy at all with some sheet metal..one of these wouldnt be hard to fabricate. Start flat, bend into shape and rivet the corners.then simple flat bottom and back cushions over ply should work.

SmartSelect_20210916-160418_Google.jpg

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 2

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: looks like the seat on my 14-8, so I've got a pattern if I choose to go that way.

• Excellent 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

That is correct, you can't tap a key without information being harvested.

I use Firefox for a browser and have Ghostery to block the ads, it works rather well.  Without that help, Red Square is a real mess.

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Interesting bit of trivia.  

Ever since I mentioned Northern Tool in a post talking about garden tractor seats, I have been getting Northern Tool ads for tractor seats on the sign in page for the forum.

1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

That is correct, you can't tap a key without information being harvested.

I use Firefox for a browser and have Ghostery to block the ads, it works rather well.  Without that help, Red Square is a real mess.

Not to get too far off topic...

Trina and I have been TALKING out loud about things I'm searching on MY phone. 

Next day or two HER phone will give ads for what we SAID. 

No typing.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Lane Ranger

Finished my 42-SMS Sickle Mower rebuild for Rodney Burger (lawnman_56)   Turned out pretty good.  I put one of my new sickle drive pins in the wobble box and blade.  I have a few for sale listed in Red Square Classifieds. 

I also ran the 702 and 854 .  Cleaned them up to take to a couple shows this fall.

I also started to install my gas tank on my restored Wheel Horse RJ  hood.  I had to cut off the rusted bolts on the gas tank straps  

Going to install tank, sediment bowl and new gas line.  Hood will go on RJ in pictures.

A19BDEEE-3337-4793-B4AE-FDB8B4723194.jpeg

FBCC8E82-2D7C-4428-A99D-2ABEA5487F1B.jpeg

A8A1951B-5139-42F2-A9B7-3D8BBE7B42E8.jpeg

62B015CA-CB36-48BB-A294-530A71F84865.jpeg

EEDC9F0B-BE7D-4B28-9763-3D0DA5323DB2.jpeg

A338CD3C-EC40-41D4-BDEC-D8CE6F086084.jpeg

7E143DD5-E0F1-49CF-86C6-1728B9D1F9A3.jpeg

8DFB83C0-703F-47C9-966D-0A1E6E910EC8.jpeg

71C7AF34-9022-4702-895B-E4391C025731.jpeg

31579F06-C6D8-4B7E-ABE1-05F0614840C6.jpeg

21D5067A-0FA4-4032-A045-35F83B1A8512.jpeg

• Like 2