Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

haydendavid380
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Well, a good friend led me to a certain item at an auction up north...

Hopefully nobody wants it as bad as my empty trailer!  We’ll find out in about an hour and a half!

1136A4CA-557F-414F-B383-49C12D849A0D.jpeg

Making a move into Asian diesels?

• Haha 6

Pullstart
1 minute ago, haydendavid380 said:

Making a move into Asian diesels?

Ha!  Look to the right...

• Haha 1

haydendavid380

So is the Mrs going to have a pair, or is this one for you?

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

So is the Mrs going to have a pair, or is this one for you?

We can cruise them together...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

No go on the lever steer, but it was great to meet a handful of fellow Wheel Horse / Pond fanatics and enjoy some fresh up north air!  I’ll refrain from the details of the sale, but it was more than I brought along and congrats to the winner!

• Like 8

squonk

That Beaver would do more work! Just ask Ward! :occasion-xmas:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8ntruck

@Ifixoldjunk ever think about putting a rain cap on that stack?

You know - tink,tink,tink.

• Like 2

Tuneup

OK, so was able to spend a little time on the 520 to see where I'm going with it. Was hoping to get it running today but that's not going to happen. The muffler has seen better days and she's been outdoors so 2 of the 4 bolts were able to be removed but the others will be an extraction effort. I had to gently pry and lightly hammer to get one pipe out. Of course, the rear cylinder so wondering if it runs hot and the intake seat is loose.

The intake was barely tight - could almost hand loosen it. Curious, so pulled the front head. It needs a decarbon and the cylinder wall is clean, if too shiny - no hatch visible. It at least wipes the oil away. Anyway, better than my 16, so it's again ring time and the engine is coming off. That'll lead to a stripped frame and painting and...it may never end.

Muffler 1.jpg

Exhaust 2.jpg

Exhaust 1.jpg

520 Cylinder.jpg

• Like 5

echris

Hey folks! It's been a while since I've been on here. No heat in the garage + Northeast winters + getting old keeps me in the basement until Spring. ;)

Since Spring has sprung, today I did the patented @peter lena mower deck treatment on my almost new 42RD. This process really does a nice job. I can see this will keep the underside of the deck well protected! Thanks Peter!

PXL_20210424_211918999_MP.jpg.02e5d578effb6feda085c95351725cd3.jpg

EDIT: Also gave her a bath, changed the oil, lubed her up and a thorough once-over. Surprise-surprise, all is working perfectly.

Peter Lena's deck rust proofing post:
Mower deck rustproofing - Implements and Attachments - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

Edited by echris
  • Like 6

haydendavid380

Trying to get the hydro fluid changed on the 160. The plug towards the rear is the correct one to drain (right side of picture),  not the one in front of the left axle, correct? 

20210424_184434.jpg.8437d5b9e3147e05f0f59d3a5bc9d30e.jpg

• Like 3

krystolo

@haydendavid380yes, the bigger one on the left if you are looking at the rear of the tractor. Be sure to jack up the front end a bit to allow everything to drain. 
You might need to clean out the socket a bit. There was a lot of gunk in mine when I changed the fluid last month. 

(Look at me, handing out advice! Someone more experienced should probably check over my post before anyone actually takes the advice. Lol)

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

haydendavid380
1 hour ago, krystolo said:

New rear tires came in, and I plan to drop them off when I pick up the fronts. 

Rubber delivery day here too

20210424_202855.jpg.ed7c24daea6ce91061ec60c48a6ec1ca.jpg

A pair of Tru-powers showed up to my garage this afternoon.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@haydendavid380 @krystolo

Must be contagious. 

Trina's Pigpen tractor has new fronts here.  

• Like 5

cschannuth
On 4/17/2021 at 6:59 PM, Tach-a-matic said:

Can the K301 can handle a 48"?

If your patient it will depending on how thick your grass is. Let’s just say it will give you plenty of seat time.

• Like 3

19richie66
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

If your patient it will depending on how thick your grass is. Let’s just say it will give you plenty of seat time.

I have a magnum 12 with a 48” deck. Sharp blades, no problem :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

EricF
14 hours ago, Tuneup said:

...That'll lead to a stripped frame and painting and...it may never end.

Old tractors, cars, trucks... Isn't that always the way with it? "Hey, this needs to be fixed... And that could be brought back up to spec... And then it'd be really nice if..." :lol:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool

Making bolts this morning. Only 9 more to go

20210425_091110.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@echris , nice job on that , thought i was looking at my deck !  also use a fine small file to touch up blades , minimal metal removal  and easier , sharp edge , oil film till use. your upside down shot in the sun , is the bake in oil benefit , that hot deck is just sucking in that lube , good job , pete

• Like 2

Pullstart

@Oldskool care to elaborate?  7/16 out of 1/2?

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
On 4/19/2021 at 8:37 AM, Jeff-C175 said:

I guess I need to clean up and repaint the discharge chute and reinstall it then.  The blade on the discharge end is perilously close (less than a quarter inch) to the head of one of the carriage bolts that holds the rear wheel bar.  In fact, I replaced that bolt because the head was nearly sheared off by 'blade strike'.

I wonder how 'bent' my deck really is?  How much clearance is on all y'alls deck from the top of the blade 'wing' to the sloped deck surface at the rear?  Maybe mine is more bent than I realized!

I installed the rebuilt deck and took her for maiden voyage yesterday.

All was beautiful...  UNTIL..  I turned left.  The left turn must twist the deck a little bit, and the blade strikes the previously mentioned bolt head. I should have just reused the old bolt instead of tossing it in the trash.  1/4" clearance is NOT enough to prevent blade strikes!

I had to finish mowing so I removed the new bolt and ground the head.

So in the fall I'm going to have to do something about bending the rear apron back out where it belongs and add some stiffening to keep it that way.

This project was SO worth the expense though!  When I first engaged the PTO I had to look down to see if the blades were actually spinning.  It was SOOOOOO quiet!  And it cuts beautifully.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, EricF said:

Old tractors, cars, trucks... Isn't that always the way with it? "Hey, this needs to be fixed... And that could be brought back up to spec... And then it'd be really nice if..." :lol:

@WheelhorseBob sound familiar?

1 hour ago, pullstart said:

:text-yeahthat:

What're we up to here Mike??

• Like 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What're we up to here Mike??

7/16 out of 9/16. I needed the 9/16 shoulder at the head to keep things centered. More pics later today.

• Like 2