peter lena

Mower deck rustproofing

Sparky

Great idea and thanks for the tip!

ronhatch

When it comes time to clean out  grass clipping and stuff, does it come loose easily?

Tankman

Just went to the barn, deck cleaned and soaked with spray penetrating oil.

Might penetrating spray grease work also?

Your deck looks great! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

peter lena

the deck cleans very easily, I find once the heavy gear shield sets up , it will easily scrape off leaving clean paint under it, but it never comes off in use. I don't know if spray grease will work, I don't think it has the lubricity of the heavy oil. I have used this combo for years and its just as effective on my cars, the bottoms of both cars look like the deck does, I touch up as needed , but this stuff just stands up very well. my auto mechanic marvels at its protection, pete 

• Like 4

Tankman

Well Pete, thanks for a great tip! Cleaned the (a) deck, sprayed with Kimball Midwest penetrating oil.

Let that soak overnight. A coating of Kimball Midwest penetrating grease next day.

Deck looks like new. Thanks again. :handgestures-thumbupright:

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-Products/Chemicals/Lubricating-Compounds/Penetrants/801301

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-Products/Chemicals/Lubricating-Compounds/Aerosol-Greases/80925

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 3

peter lena

good going on that tank man, I always think ," breaking the damp grunge cycle " is the start to saving your stuff. typically, your deck lives like a mushroom, wet, grungy, neglected. I've been doing this for years , so I don't even think about it . if I am lucky enough to be cutting dry , a deck drop and brush out is easy . but if its been wet or heavy , I will counter that with deck drop, clean out and lube in the sun. lubrication of any type will stop the acidic effect of grass on decks, along with hot sun . just regularly getting after it , is key, pete 

peter lena

tank man , I think that penetrating grease , is fluid film, relabeled, that is good stuff in a confined / contained area. but I don't think it will stand up to direct abuse under deck, if it stands up for you , fine. let me know, that's where that open gear shield   really stands up. most important , you did the two steps needed to clean and lubricate you deck, experiment and find what works best for you, pete

drewd

Thanks for sharing!  I just located a distributor not too far away and will pick some up and give it a  go!

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

Nice tip Peter, Thanks,

I found both on Amazon.  I'll give it try.

• Like 1

Razorback

Awesome! Several sources here in the area!

• Like 1

Stormin

I've given the underneath of recently acquired rear discharge deck, a good spraying with penetrating fluid after scraping of the flaking paint. Before I use it I will spray with used engine oil, as recommended by a garden machinery repair man I know. 

• Like 3

12Horse Paladin

Thank you for sharing! I take some pride in the fact that I lki to/try to keep up/maintain my equipment/stuff.

This gives me a direction to go, try to save those decks!

• Like 3

CountryRock

Just did a 46" deck with this method.  Used the same stuff mentioned in the OP.  Man that gear shield is some nasty thick stuff.  Should keep the rust away for sure.

• Like 2

peter lena

that gear shield is the best on tough applications , it just stands up , it stains your deck black and feeds the metal . as i said, getting the deck hot in the sun , is what  really draws it into the metal , i honestly have zero rust issues on my decks , pete

• Like 3

peter lena

recently sold my 07 volvo wagon , to the mechanic that regularly serviced it, when I  told him about my sale plan , he gladly offered to get it. not a speck of rust on it , regularly lubrication touched up at every service opportunity . every body seam and box joint , as well as inner fender joint areas were showing a lubrication film at seam areas . just something  I have  always done , pretty simple the right lubrication makes metal live on . also did the oil soak on my newer car , keep it oily , pete

JimSraj

Pete,  the lubriplate method sounds good. I’ve read some interesting comments on POR-15 as a good rust preventative metal treatment too. Any thoughts on that?

oliver2-44

I restored a 312-8 and deck for my son going in 6 years ago I E_Tanked the deck 1/2 length at a time. Buffed it with a grinder wire brush and gave it 2 coats of POR15. It’s been holding up great.  He has decent but not a perfect grass.
I think where POR15 doesn’t hold up is when you have a lot of exposed dirt and the deck get sand blasted.  Just my experience. 

peter lena

@JimSraj  personally don't like a sealer  in a moisture environment  set up , found  BREAKING THE GRUNGE CYCLE , along with , hot sun and lubrication / inspection verifies what's going on . another thing I do is to let it sit upside down over winter , cleaned , and oil soaked for months , the metal turns black , with oil slick , no rust / rot . that combined with lucas hi temp grease in the spindle bearings , mule drive bearings , makes for a very happy unit ,  pete   

Jeff-C175
16 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

where POR15 doesn’t hold up is when you have a lot of exposed dirt and the deck get sand blasted

Absolutely... but then, nothing would hold up to that!  

If you do the acid etch first with the metal prep that comes in the $25 kit, the top coat really adheres!  I've neglected to do that once or twice and found the topcoat would peel off in chunks.  Proper Prep Prevents Pi55 Poor POR !

• Haha 1

kpinnc
On 9/11/2022 at 4:20 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

Proper Prep Prevents Pi55 Poor POR !

I'll spell that wrong forever now...

"POR" performance. Sheesh! :P

• Haha 1