Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, haydendavid380 said:

Even came with the original installation instructions. With regards to that, I did my best to search if this was in the manual section, and I couldn't find it. If it would be of use I can scan copies and send them where ever they need to go

@gwest_ca

rjg854
8 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Seriously though, are the 48 SD decks supposed to have this bar there?

image.png.639abccb1c9cba29e3e80b0c8005c771.png

I would guess that's a safety bar, to keep you from being able to stick your foot in there, or to slow down something shooting out.

Probably removed because it slowed down the grass clippings being exited. 

That my best guess anyway :eusa-think:

squonk

Yes that's a safety bar to keep people who insist on wearing flip flops when mowing from putting their foot in there.

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse

Mine doesn't have that bar! Guess I'll put up the flip flops!:lol:

Jeff-C175
55 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

a safety bar,

my best guess

Part of my guess also.  Another idea that I had was a 'stiffener' bar.  My deck has had the blades contact the underside of the deck on the rear where it slopes down.  This deck had been badly abused and obviously 'crashed' at some point by the previous owner.  A bar across there may have prevented some of the carnage.

By the way... the discharge chute DOES have a substantial bar across it.  Perhaps the earlier decks did not come with the chute?  And on the later decks with the chute which WH insisted be "installed before operating" the bar was eliminated because the chute provides the added stiffness?

17 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Mine doesn't have that bar!

I've seen a number of the 48" decks and none that I recall have had that bar!  

Probably removed

There's no evidence of that.  If it was ever there it was removed and the welds ground down so cleanly as to be undetectable.  I don't think it was EVER there!

But what are the GREEN circled holes for ?

How about those 'extra' holes in the deck topside?  Do any of all y'alls decks have those same holes?  What are they for?

I wish I had thought to weld them up when I was in the welding stage of the repairs!

Edited by Jeff-C175

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Another idea that I had was a 'stiffener' bar. 

Exactly ...That right rear corner carries the weight of the deck and needs to be supported to prevent the deck from flexing and causing the metal fatigue around the right wheel support bracket.

• Excellent 1

OldWorkHorse

Mine has a bagger attachment and if I remember right I took some bolts out from them holes when I took the bagger pully cover off I could be wrong I'll take a look later when go into the shop. I was in middle of re doing my deck when winter came in so never got around to mounting it all back together went to the snowblower insted. 

• Like 1

rjg854

Dang, wrong again :laughing-rolling:  Told ya it was my best guess :teasing-poke:

• Haha 3

haydendavid380

Getting ready to start tinkering with the hitch kit for the 160. I thought most hydros didn't have a tube for the cable, and wanted to double check that I didn't have one before I ordered on. I think I found one already on it but there's a wire running through it to the tail light. Shouldn't that be plugged into the connector next to the light in the seat pan?

20210419_072225.jpg.0f7c0130be2e620ad209623d5a7061aa.jpg

20210419_072329.jpg.ec2dad3cf4ade6026a1cb52de87d9b48.jpg

• Like 1

Tuneup

This is interesting. Jeff - fantastic deck! I can deliver you mine as a core and you can just send it along and save me some time. I feel somewhat sympatico with you - reminds me of hanging out down in Califon on the river when I read your posts and I do have a banjo that I am lousy at playing. I wonder if that old river road is still there or has finally washed out permanently?

My 48" has no guard on the output but does have a reinforcing ring all around it, not including the rear area. 1990 from the 520H.

In other news, I got tired of the slack in the 516's go lever. I can never get full reverse so my lazy butt yesterday finallytook off both panels and found the lock bolt half removed so, fresh bolt from the drawer and she's now perfect. No parts needed - who knew? Added grease from the new flexible hose so I can actually reach that steering gear zerk and she is now REALLY ready for the mowing year. Good little machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
23 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

needs to be supported

I guess I need to clean up and repaint the discharge chute and reinstall it then.  The blade on the discharge end is perilously close (less than a quarter inch) to the head of one of the carriage bolts that holds the rear wheel bar.  In fact, I replaced that bolt because the head was nearly sheared off by 'blade strike'.

I wonder how 'bent' my deck really is?  How much clearance is on all y'alls deck from the top of the blade 'wing' to the sloped deck surface at the rear?  Maybe mine is more bent than I realized!

Jeff-C175
6 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

I think I found one already on it but there's a wire running through it to the tail light.

Looks like the tube is there already on yours.  But that wire shouldn't be there.

Mine doesn't have the tube and it's a perfect fit for the fuel line from the tank, so instead of the lift cable tube which I don't need, when I put the new fuel lines in I ran it under that bracket as a 'clamp'.

That wire looks 'newer' and someone thought it was a good idea to run it through the lift cable tube.

rjg854

I

14 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Changed the engine pulley, went from 2 1/2" to 3"

The transmission pulley, went from 4" to 3 1/2"

Nice increase in overall speed, didn't have to change the belt length, but had to modify the belt cover a bit by moving it more to the front. All that was required was to relocate the holes that holds it in place. The hardest part of the whole job was getting the pulley off the transmission shaft. 

I should give credit to  @Racinbob as he told me where to get the pulleys, what sizes to get and basically how he did it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

squonk
6 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I

I should give credit to  @Racinbob as he told me where to get the pulleys, what sizes to get and basically how he did it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

How's the brake lining? :ychain:

Jeff-C175
13 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

fantastic deck! I can deliver you mine as a core and you can just send it along and save me some time.

Shiny fresh paint covers a multitude of sins!  It's really not as good as it looks, LOTS of welding went down this time!  Sure, send yours along, can't guarantee you'll get the same one back though!  :laughing-rolling:

14 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

reminds me of hanging out down in Califon on the river when I read your posts and I do have a banjo that I am lousy at playing. I wonder if that old river road is still there or has finally washed out permanently?

According to Mrs. Google's maps, the River Road is still alive and well.  I haven't been up to that area in AGES though, I'm down by "Greetings from Asbury Park".

And I played for about 40 years but since arthritis has taken it's toll, I can no longer play... well... let's say I can still play, but only 'half fast' !  Could never keep up with the young fellers.  I don't think I've picked it up in over ten years now!  It's probably time to sell all my instruments.

• Like 2

seuadr

nothing today, but yesterday i got both the shredder i had, and the chipper/shredder i was given running, got the rear hitch i've had sitting around FOREVER on the back of my 520H, found that my cool rear cylinder was because my dumb ass didn't make sure the plug was tight and gave the foot control a work out as well as adjusted the tension so it would "return to center" correctly.

all in all a good day!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

rjg854
26 minutes ago, squonk said:

How's the brake lining? :ychain:

new, for awhile at least

Lee1977
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Looks like the tube is there already on yours.  But that wire shouldn't be there.

Mine doesn't have the tube and it's a perfect fit for the fuel line from the tank, so instead of the lift cable tube which I don't need, when I put the new fuel lines in I ran it under that bracket as a 'clamp'.

That wire looks 'newer' and someone thought it was a good idea to run it through the lift cable tube.

If the tube is there and never used it is most likely so rusted that it will destroy a new cable.  The one on my 520-H was so rusted  i could not get a cable through, I did get it to partially open up but decided it was too rusty to use. 

I ordered a new tube from Wheel Horse Part & More when I ordered the sleeve hitch for it.

• Like 2

haydendavid380
20 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

If the tube is there and never used it is most likely so rusted that it will destroy a new cable.  The one on my 520-H was so rusted  i could not get a cable through, I did get it to partially open up but decided it was too rusty to use. 

I ordered a new tube from Wheel Horse Part & More when I ordered the sleeve hitch for it.

The wire and connector slide out through the tube no problem. 

I'm the third owner of this tractor from what I can ascertain. The original own took exceptionally good care. Complete maintenance records, and under the grime it's in wonderful shape. The last piece of dealer paperwork was dated in 2011. The guy I got it from said he got it from him and used it for a year and it sat in the barn for a year because the C-160 wasn't big enough. It appears he ran it hard and put it away wet. Caked thick field weeds and grass in every nook and crany. I believe what he said because there's no rot under all the grass. Once I get it off it looks like brand new paint underneath. The deck is crammed with grass, but solid as a rock.

• Like 3

haydendavid380

Man working in stuff is so much easier when everything isn't all rusted/corroded. The hitch pin on this think was all greased up and slide like butter. The whole install took maybe 5 minutes. 

Edited by haydendavid380
  • Excellent 3

redtruck
21 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

Her şey paslanmadığında / aşınmadığında, bir şeyler üzerinde çalışan adam çok daha kolay. Bu düşüncenin üzerindeki bağlantı pimi tamamen yağlanmış ve tereyağı gibi kaymış. Kurulumun tamamı belki 5 dakika sürdü. 

good luck to you

haydendavid380
1 hour ago, redtruck said:

good luck to you

That's wierd, didn't look that way on my end

1086873873_Screenshot_20210419-122619_SamsungInternet.jpg.1fe3a127bae35eafd9c8137151b34576.jpg

Gregor
23 hours ago, ranger said:

You can just see the decal behind the bracket, roughly in the centre of the picture.

Now that I know where to put the decal, I don't know where I put the decal.:dunno:Does that make sense?

23 hours ago, Gregor said:

Of course I ruined the decal when I tightened the bolts.

I called Terry. He is sending me a new decal, and gave me some tips on avoiding the problem in the future.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, Gregor said:

called Terry. He is sending me a new decal, and gave me some tips on avoiding the problem in the future

He's like that....

All helpful and stuff ya know. 

• Like 1

ranger
31 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Now that I know where to put the decal, I don't know where I put the decal.:dunno:Does that make sense?

I called Terry. He is sending me a new decal, and gave me some tips on avoiding the problem in the future.

It’s in the last photo in post #10587 😆

• Haha 2