Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

pfrederi

Generally speaking welding was not one of WHs strong points.....

• Sad 2

tom2p
4 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Same experience here...! Been using the HF 3 step drill pack for about a year and they work great!!!

Way better then a standard drill bit to start / bite on steel and quick!!!

summavagum !

and I felt guilty for purchasing that HF drill pack

I grabbed a pack from the display when I was in waiting line to check out because they were inexpensive

just within the previous week or so I had seen a similar looking DeWalt set at a flea market for around triple the price 

• Excellent 1

tom2p
8 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Generally speaking welding was not one of WHs strong points.....

as bad as painting ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

tom2p
On 11/29/2020 at 7:46 PM, Greentored said:

Picked up a decent 701 today in trade for an old simplicity! Cleaned the fuel system end to end, filed the points, threw a battery in her and she lit right off and ran great! 

4CF29D70-713F-42A8-B3F5-303569F8FC29.jpeg

nice ! 

you are on a roll !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

@tom2p it looks like that one has earned its living but was respected by its POs. A nice thing to find.

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, tom2p said:

as bad as painting ?

They weren't all that bad at painting til the govt took away real paint in the 80s. 

Mostly. 

Sorta. 

• Like 1

8ntruck

Probably the last bit of seat time today until spring.  Did some cart work after digging the snowshoes for the Cherokee out of the shed. 

Hauled them up to the driveway, swapped out the summer tires/wheels and hauled them back to the shed for storage.  Ran the gas out of the carb to shut the Horse down.

Guess this is another installment of anti-snow insurance.....

• Sad 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Guess this is another installment of anti-snow insurance

I would wish a lack of Wheelhorse seat time on no-one but I'm glad you're putting out all the anti snow juju you can. 

OldWorkHorse

Turned my 1257 to a roller today.... :blink:

20201202_182750.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

20201202_182750.jpg

Well done Sir 👍

OldWorkHorse
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Well done Sir 👍

Thank you. I new I'd figure this thing out sooner then later haha. Can almost see the finished project now hahaha

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Thank you. I new I'd figure this thing out sooner then later haha. Can almost see the finished project now hahaha

Just a few more bolts and yer dunn..

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Just a few more bolts and yer dunn..

Got them in the mail thank to you :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

Well, fellas, I am trying something a little different, and although it may sound crazy, it has it's origins in WWII. The guys who kept the fighters in the air did not have te best access to spare parts and they reused the metal head gaskets by first applying aluminum paint. So after flattening the decks of the cylinder head caps as much as possible, i took some rather well used and thick Rustoleum Aluminum paint and tried it out. The paint was really thick and nearly a paste, but it went on OK, and i discovered that my finger smoothed it right out flat as can be. I did the gasket as well and even in cold weather at about 50 degrees and sunny, they were nearly ready start to finish in about 30 minutes. The source for this info was the guys who use pulling tractors with the old cast iron Kohlers. i figure that I am not gonna hurt the tractor by trying it out.  Don't worry, I cleaned the paint off where it did not belong... I also found out that the style of head shown here is about the best for a working tractor, but the ones with the centered spark plugs are sought after for pulling tractors   i posted previously about using ultra high temp JB weld on the pitted head  [first picture]  don't do it. That stuff is pretty rough and does not harden correctly without heat. So this head cap is gonna be a test bed for regular JB weld and aluminum application while being checked at 5 hours.At least the inside edge has decent flatness and no corrosion.image.jpeg.d166e2dbb6b8d5ecf2596ad7978e1a08.jpeg

image.jpeg.0c82883b71912b7f4269a2ce363aa507.jpeg

image.jpeg.9245720b0e4b2dab3a80e5ea697952c1.jpeg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 5

Tractorhead

Many ideas arise out of necessity.

What is interesting is how long it lasts, 
But i can imagine it will work.

• Like 1

WHX??

Worked on the 1045 abit, put some cushion where the gas tank was rubbing. Shoulda put the tank in before bolting the motor back down tho! :angry-banghead:

20201203_173232.jpg

20201203_173257.jpg

• Like 6

WHX??

Worked on the 1045 a bit more tonite... after the battery tray fixed and got the batt back in rolled her over to just see if would turn over as should and she fired right up ...... with no oil in.... whoops....  :hide: musta been a little gas in the bowl yet! I am head over heels in love with this girl Mike @prondzy! Got the steering fixed up tighter than a nun's ....never mind tell you later.....:lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Heart 1

johnnymag3

those nuns.....well, never mind

• Haha 1

prondzy
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Worked on the 1045 a bit more tonite... after the battery tray fixed and got the batt back in rolled her over to just see if would turn over as should and she fired right up ...... with no oil in.... whoops....  :hide: musta been a little gas in the bowl yet! I am head over heels in love with this girl Mike @prondzy! Got the steering fixed up tighter than a nun's ....never mind tell you later.....:lol:

So yer sayin the steering is like a German Nun....... Gooodntite:hide:

• Haha 1

WHNJ701
23 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Well, fellas, I am trying something a little different, and although it may sound crazy, it has it's origins in WWII. The guys who kept the fighters in the air did not have te best access to spare parts and they reused the metal head gaskets by first applying aluminum paint. So after flattening the decks of the cylinder head caps as much as possible, i took some rather well used and thick Rustoleum Aluminum paint and tried it out. The paint was really thick and nearly a paste, but it went on OK, and i discovered that my finger smoothed it right out flat as can be. I did the gasket as well and even in cold weather at about 50 degrees and sunny, they were nearly ready start to finish in about 30 minutes. The source for this info was the guys who use pulling tractors with the old cast iron Kohlers. i figure that I am not gonna hurt the tractor by trying it out.  Don't worry, I cleaned the paint off where it did not belong... I also found out that the style of head shown here is about the best for a working tractor, but the ones with the centered spark plugs are sought after for pulling tractors   i posted previously about using ultra high temp JB weld on the pitted head  [first picture]  don't do it. That stuff is pretty rough and does not harden correctly without heat. So this head cap is gonna be a test bed for regular JB weld and aluminum application while being checked at 5 hours.At least the inside edge has decent flatness and no corrosion.image.jpeg.d166e2dbb6b8d5ecf2596ad7978e1a08.jpeg

Maybe @Vinylguy can make you a pratt & whitney sticker for it!

RandyLittrell
On 12/3/2020 at 9:21 PM, ohiofarmer said:

I have reused kohler head gaskets by spraying aluminum paint on them and they are still running today. 

Randy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer
On 12/2/2020 at 6:30 PM, OldWorkHorse said:

20201202_182750.jpg

I see you have the HFT furniture dolly rated at 1000 pounds. Weird thing is, when you go to the caster aisle in the store, the exact replacement caster is rated at under a hundred pounds. It makes you go Hmmmmmmm.   Anyway, congrats on having a tractor to wrench on and a dry shop to do maintenance on your projects.

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

Gonna go to town and pick up another 30 inch lift using a 25% off coupon. That way, I can put one at each end of a tractor and lift them from under the wheels  even with a deck installed.  Search for it as      high position motorcycle lift

I made sure the coupon worked just in case a salesman thinks it is from a restricted category or brand name. So I take a picture of the link in case you go to the store to pick one up. They are not on display, but usually the store has at least one in backstock. I already have a gift card that I have been saving for a big ticket item. IMHO, still one of the best tools in my shop in that it takes up very little room and I have installed HD casters so I can move stuff around and save my back.   https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=high position motorcycle lift

OK, see if this link works. Got it for 150 dollars [50 dollars off]

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

OldWorkHorse
44 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

It makes you go Hmmmmmmm.   Anyway, congrats

Lol yes I never push there stuff because probly fail way before rated but for light stuff to push around they get the job done! 

Side note I had a piece of 3/4 maple sheet that just happend be the perfect fit in between the carpet rails so that dolly is now I'm not good with math but rated at 10,000lbs?

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1