Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine

Those heim joints are the way to go on a tractor that gets consistent heavy duty or aggressive usage.

Using my Patriot or Cinnamon in our forest I'd get just a few months and the stock style ends would be noticeably looser.

I built a set of 7/16 heim joint rods for the Cinnamon Horse. They've been on over a year now and they are just as tight and free moving as they were when new.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat: and I like the model with zerk fittings.

IMG_6890.thumb.JPG.95c01baf6e1f45a804085f473b56429e.JPG

Love that tractor. 

Hopefully I'll get to see it in person someday...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tractorhead
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Those heim joints are the way to go on a tractor that gets consistent heavy duty or aggressive usage.

Using my Patriot or Cinnamon in our forest I'd get just a few months and the stock style ends would be noticeably looser.

I built a set of 7/16 heim joint rods for the Cinnamon Horse. They've been on over a year now and they are just as tight and free moving as they were when new.

Now i know what you means with heim joints, 

i don‘t know the Association between, they named here differently,

about their advantages there is absolute no doubt.

I used them on my Sicklebar Project with greasefittings.

but i need a inbetween step to fix it until i get the other horse or until i have the heim joints here.

So i must do an interrim solution to fix things without right parts

i was stopped at 1/3 of the Area i have to mow.

Satelliteimage don‘t tells me a relaxing sunny day‘s..

No Crash, so all is good, thanks to the Lord who protects me.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

@ArturHawk

Nice work...

2 hours ago, ArturHawk said:

precision shim (random washer)

:lol:

The swan is a Kenworth/Peterbilt hood ornament.

I have one on my Cinnamon Horse as well.

• Like 1

Ralph S
12 hours ago, TonyToro said:

Nice work! That’s a really nice looking tractor!

are you still using the factory clutch set up? I noticed a step after the pulley area?

I took the P to clutch off and put a quick change pulley one to change speed for different track conditions. I still use the factory drive clutch and bolts the weight bar to the floor boards

• Like 1

WHX??

@stevasaurus look at  @ArturHawk 's first pic is ther not supposed to be the fill plug extension on it? 

20170226_154630.jpg

WHX??
8 hours ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

Not perfect, but for this beast/project

Nice to see you are getting the hang of this horse business Jason. Keep up the good work! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk
7 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

@stevasaurus look at  @ArturHawk 's first pic is ther not supposed to be the fill plug extension on it? 

20170226_154630.jpg

I think only  the limited slip trans use the extension.:eusa-think::scratchead:

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

No extensions on any of my trannies Jim.

102_1987.JPG.9dfc97bc873a0893505984493aec331a.JPG102_1988.JPG.87271167e55d6be9270d8d088ac2d20a.JPG102_1989.JPG.af25402f27ca3dc689d2ac99871ef1bb.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
15 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

20170226_154630.jpg

Question: Curious, as neither of mine have an extension - What purpose does / would the extension serve?

WHX??
25 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

What purpose does / would the extension serve?

Extra fluid for the limited slip I've been told. All my sixties six speeds have it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12Horse Paladin
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Nice to see you are getting the hang of this horse business Jason. Keep up the good work! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Hey; GoodMorning & thankyou, Jim!

I dunno bout gettin the hang of it toooo well tho, lol...i seem to be (i think) ok at making them look better/a certain way...but mechanical stuff...jury's still out, lol.

Long story.

I need a teacher, lol.

Again, thanks...your comment made this day start off on a great note, here!

I consider it high praise😊

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ArturHawk
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

No extensions on any of my trannies Jim.

102_1987.JPG.9dfc97bc873a0893505984493aec331a.JPG102_1988.JPG.87271167e55d6be9270d8d088ac2d20a.JPG102_1989.JPG.af25402f27ca3dc689d2ac99871ef1bb.JPG

How are you actually supposed to fill the tranny? I used the fill hole on the side, but I couldn't get the fluid high enough to read on the dipstick. I had to use a funnel in the dipstick hole, which took a long time and was not very fun.

Ed Kennell

Some remove the shifter lever and fill thru there.

I actually screw a 6" pipe nipple in this angled hole and use an old outboard motor lower unit pump to pump the gear oil in thru a 1/4" tube.102_1990.JPG.48cff1d02639d2758636f6db81bfc3c2.JPG

• Like 5

WHX??

Yes that is the ticket Ed for filling I have one screwed right to the top of a gallon jug of 80/90. Had to extend the pickup tube cause it was made for quart jugs. I pull one of the tunnel bolts and fill through there till it's to the top of the 3/8 plug.

I guess I am the dipstick for not noticing the dipstick! :lol: No need for the extension when you measure with a dip stick.  This is what happens when you are addicted to early models without dips.  Only one thing left to do then start buying later models and broaden my horizons! Heck even all my motors have all the npt plugs for checking oil! 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

OK...here is what I think is going on with those 10 pinion limited slip transmissions.  There are 3 kinds from the sixties...#5060, #5071 & 5073.  The differences between these are...the 5060 has aluminum end plates for the differential...the 5071 has steel end  plates...the 5073 has steel end plates and a dip stick.  From all I have seen, the 5060 & 5071 will have the 1" extension.  The 5073 does not need one with a dip stick.  The extension does raise the oil level that little bit, which raises the oil level inside the differential which give more lubrication to those floating pinions.

The thing we do not know for sure...were these 1" extensions factory, or were they added on to solve a problem.  Either way, if I had a 10 pinion limited slip transmission without a 1" extension and no dip stick...I think I would add one.  The extension is the only way to know if you have that extra little bit of oil.  :eusa-think:  :occasion-xmas:

@WHX24  @ArturHawk  @Ed Kennell

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

ArturHawk
46 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

OK...here is what I think is going on with those 10 pinion limited slip transmissions.  There are 3 kinds from the sixties...#5060, #5071 & 5073.  The differences between these are...the 5060 has aluminum end plates for the differential...the 5071 has steel end  plates...the 5073 has steel end plates and a dip stick.  From all I have seen, the 5060 & 5071 will have the 1" extension.  The 5073 does not need one with a dip stick.  The extension does raise the oil level that little bit, which raises the oil level inside the differential which give more lubrication to those floating pinions.

The thing we do not know for sure...were these 1" extensions factory, or were they added on to solve a problem.  Either way, if I had a 10 pinion limited slip transmission without a 1" extension and no dip stick...I think I would add one.  The extension is the only way to know if you have that extra little bit of oil.  :eusa-think:  :occasion-xmas:

@WHX24  @ArturHawk  @Ed Kennell

@stevasaurus I also have a Raider 10 with a six speed. This one does not have a dipstick or an extension. How do I know when the fill is correct without a dipstick? Is it just when oil tries to come back through the side fill hole?

It does have a fitting on the top of the transmission in the same place the dipstick is on my C-120. I'm thinking if I can add a dipstick this is where it would go.

Tractorhead

i was able today to fix the Pushrod with a simple Screw.

drilled a hole in and use a M8 Screw to fix it with a selftaped nut.

AD71F91B-743D-47B4-B02A-CD562C555C6B.jpeg.ff8fd526fee6205d6a7f06189077386d.jpeg

Not a nice solution, but it works so far for the Day.

after i finished mowing the Area

2C52A66B-09CB-4871-B936-F863B5918CA4.jpeg.aa68379df65ae74914bbc98eb24f260e.jpeg

29647D74-9939-47EF-AC43-E97F20E58165.jpeg.b60d0111b12a4ee2dcdbb20cf5806a97.jpeg

at least i get Today my Rainstop for the doorwindows and i mount it.

5393169B-6268-4218-B7FA-E5A6F14A9D9A.jpeg.6d89c9beeec3a4c5bd68e1da46504acf.jpeg

good Day today.

Ok, Blades needs a resharpening.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

stevasaurus

@ArturHawk  Is your Raider 10 a 1969 model 1-6041??  You are correct, the fill plug is what you go by if you do not have a dip stick.  You should have the #5071 LS trans.  You put oil in the trans until it starts to run out that hole.  Having a 1" extension there would raise the oil level about  1" in the transmission, thus ensuring plenty of oil to lubricate those pinions in the differential.  The fact that you do not have one there would tell me the extension is not factory, but a certain fix for issues for that trans.  I would get a 1" extension from ACE, or TSC and put it in.  Just like the picture Jim used above.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

Racinbob

I believe you'll find that the extension is factory Steve. It's part # 943322 and is simply a 3/8" x 1" NPT nipple then add a 943003 coupling and a 943420 pipe plug and you have the factory installed extension. I think I'll go buy a bunch of the three items at the hardware store, paint them red and make a fortune on Ebay :D

I haven't had that plug out of any of my transmissions for decades. I swear by the latest (but old) spec sheets that state 1.5 quarts in the 3 and 4 speeds and 2 quarts in the 6 and 8 speeds. I can't see that it would hurt a thing using 2 quarts in the 3 and 4 speeds. I only have one with a dipstick. I had it apart to check out so it was bone dry. After adding 2 quarts it was dead on the full mark. 

I fill through one of the seat bolts or the dipstick hole with one of these squirty bottles. :)

valvoline.jpg.0f9f20b01dccfb9152a0de76404d5ace.jpg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I just remembered I have a recently acquired Raider 10.   So, I checked the sight hole...no extension on mine.

Then I pulled the pipe plug on the fill hole and sure enough, it has a dip stick attached.

But look at the notch 2" from the end of the stick.   This looks like it is being machined.

102_1997.JPG.ec6b95e8c2fb6c3dd578474e3a7ba186.JPG102_1998.JPG.7c2a4bf96f33793432200c05212ea5a6.JPG

• Confused 2

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

latest (but old) spec sheets that state 1.5 quarts in the 3 and 4 speeds and 2 quarts in the 6 and 8 speeds.

@ArturHawk

I follow the same method that Bob does.

As far as checking the level if it doesn't have a dipstick... No leaks, no problem.

I don't know the technical reason for having the extra half quart in an 8-speed when it does not have LSD but I always figured it was something to do with the high low shifter and as stated above, a little extra oil is certainly not going to hurt anything and a gear drive transmission.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1