Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine

@echris

It's great to see your horse getting some needed attention.

Nice work.

johnnymag3
1 hour ago, Vinylguy said:

I know a guy:D

Im hoping to find a guy to make me a new Kohler engine decal.....Model....Spec.....Serial....you know, all that jazz.....any ideas?

Please pm me if you know of anyone.....Oh I need a few more too, maybe he wants some work ?

D_Mac

I got the correct filter for the air cleaner. I painted the cover I picked up. Ran out of red paint so I made it silver. Looks ok I guess. Still trying to figure out why it keeps popping the fuse. I will put a new fuse in, start the engine, runs fine and both front and rear lights are on. I turn the light switch to off. I shut down the engine. Go and restart it, turn lights on and fuse is shot. Cant figure it out. Might have to cancel any " night mowing " 

20200606_132728.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I got the correct filter for the air cleaner. I painted the cover I picked up. Ran out of red paint so I made it silver. Looks ok I guess. Still trying to figure out why it keeps popping the fuse. I will put a new fuse in, start the engine, runs fine and both front and rear lights are on. I turn the light switch to off. I shut down the engine. Go and restart it, turn lights on and fuse is shot. Cant figure it out. Might have to cancel any " night mowing " 

20200606_132728.jpg

Those wires are run from front to rear with no protection.

Very likely your tractor has a chafe in the coating of one of the wires.

I've removed and replaced ALL the light wires from every horse we've ever worked on.

I like my lights to be on when I want them on.... Like at 3 am in January...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Picked up this 1980  C-85  5 years ago 15 minutes from home with a free sign on it. Engine was in a rubbermaid tote and not looking to well. It has sat in the yard covered over thinking maybe a resto some day and that day never came, to many other projects. Turn the page a 1989  310-8 shows up and is leaking gear oil bad but I am told it runs. Come to find out the tranny must have filled with water and froze and split the case in 2 places. So yesterday I made the difficult decision to end the C-85's life, rather a difficult decision to make for the love of WH tractors. the other side of  the coin is hopefully I will end up with 1 nice tractor and some spare parts. 1 more hub needs to come off and then transplant the uni-drive into the 310 and all will be well, I hope. That 10 H.P. Magnum sure does run sweet so hoping for the best. The other way to look at it is I still have the C-165 to keep me in the Blackhood club.:handgestures-thumbup:  Almost forgot, that plastic rear fender was in pretty good condition other than the small notch below the decal and the crack that I had to open up to see,  not bad for it's age.

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Sad 2

D_Mac

I would like to have them working but I just dont have the correct equipment when it comes to wiring. I am starting to think it might be one of the switches? I already replaced a piece of wire that at first I thought solved the problem. Now its doing what I said earlier. Those fuses are almost a buck a piece. Getting aggravating and expensive ! Its one of those things that if the tractor didnt have lights I wouldnt care about lights. But when the lights are there.... now I care and want them working.

• Like 1

19richie66
27 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Im hoping to find a guy to make me a new Kohler engine decal.....Model....Spec.....Serial....you know, all that jazz.....any ideas?

Please pm me if you know of anyone.....Oh I need a few more too, maybe he wants some work ?

Vinylguy is your decal master. 

https://www.redoyourhorse.com

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

johnnymag3
Just now, 19richie66 said:

Vinylguy is your decal master. Www.redoyourhorse.com

Ive tried contacting him, and looking for what I need.....no response.... Maybe he fell asleep on the Horse ?

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I would like to have them working but I just dont have the correct equipment when it comes to wiring. I am starting to think it might be one of the switches? I already replaced a piece of wire that at first I thought solved the problem. Now its doing what I said earlier. Those fuses are almost a buck a piece. Getting aggravating and expensive ! Its one of those things that if the tractor didnt have lights I wouldnt care about lights. But when the lights are there.... now I care and want them working.

No special equipment needed.

Test light is a few bucks.

You'll spend more than that buying fuses by the gross so pick up a test light instead.

VERY carefully and slowly remove, clean and check all the wires in that circuit.

Might be a switch. Might be a wire.

Wiring a DC system is not a complicated pile of wizardry.

It's easy if done systematically and correctly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, johnnymag3 said:

Ive tried contacting him, and looking for what I need.....no response.... Maybe he fell asleep on the Horse ?

He's likely busy messing around at the lake house with his Horse...

@Vinylguy... 

• Like 2

JCM

I have been in contact with Terry and he is extremely busy at the moment, because of our current situation and said that everyone is working on their tractors right now. I myself am working on 3 of them and normally this time of year enjoying seat time. I think most of us are doing things now we normally don't do ?

• Like 3

Flat Thunder Channel

Busy day playing Mr. Mom!  I got to spend the whole morning with my little one.  We may have scoped out the tractors once or twice and pretended to ride the 704 ;).

Contemplating plating fabricating a hitch to mount my rear tine Troy Bilt Pony tiller to the rear of the 704.  Poor man's tiller.  Thoughts??

• Like 3

johnnymag3
14 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Eric is right....this is a simple 2 wire installation....Ground, 12v Hot....and a switch. Go through and look at what you have...there has to be a bare spot on the 12v wire...or a bare spot on the ground touching 12v somewhere....not likely. !!! Look at the 12v Hot wire running to the headlights, and the tail lights. YOU will find an issue some place. Unless the fuse holder is defective???  or a key switch issue ??? the ACC. for the lights are in the Key Switch also. Don't over look that chance....good luck, you will figure it out !!

JOHN

• Like 2

D_Mac

There is a key switch but no ACC position on the switch. There is also a toggle switch for the lights. Just on / off. The toggle is wired to the key and the fuse holder is wired to the toggle

20200525_173434.jpg

• Like 2

johnnymag3

Then you have a bare wire someplace....Im with the guy in MAINE    LOL

Unless you have a weird thing going on with the fuse holder ?

johnnymag3

Is there no Acc lug on the back of the switch? I did not mean to say ACC position....sorry

D_Mac

lol the only weired thing going on is me trying to solve an electrical problem.

• Sad 1

johnnymag3

Those guys in Maine eat the best LOBSTER too …!!!!

So Im with him 

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

johnnymag3
Just now, D_Mac said:

lol the only weired thing going on is me trying to solve an electrical problem.

It will turn up, and you will say...….oh wow, there it is !!!

• Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, JCM said:

I think most of us are doing things now we normally don't do

I know!            :hide:            I have even started cleaning my work bench, found some stuff I hadn't seen in years!               :woohoo:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

squonk

They only way a fuse will blow would be because of excessive current caused by a short to ground. Follow every inch of the wire from the switch to the lights. It has to split somewhere front to back. dollars to donuts there is a chafe or a crack in the insulation touching ground. A short in a switch is extremely rare. If the short was in the keyswitch side a wire would have burn't and you would have found out the hard way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Blade looks nice. I was looking at the other picture of your tractor.... is that a bell on the lever ? 

19richie66

Investigation started. Findings not so good. Previous owner’s “mechanic’s” handiwork.....:angry-fire:

This will become a 417-12 A I guess for the time being. 

CB334E17-BDD4-4F09-AC35-8656B80D397C.jpeg

DC04D8A8-8464-446B-B8F0-229569CAF6DF.jpeg

• Sad 8