PeacemakerJack

Vintage Trucks

squonk
On 11/25/2021 at 9:31 PM, Pullstart said:

After the altitude adjustment… Mrs. P’s daily driver is near complete.  1997 K2500 Suburban, 454 V8 4x4.  Yesterday, I went through 8 cans of that cable fluid @peter lena preached to me about :handgestures-thumbupright:

I spend $130 and let the guy at the Krown rustproofing place get all slimy! :)

I was the chosen mechanic of a VIP customer years ago. His wife on a whim  bought a new Chevy Lumina APV van one day. Problem was She bought it at 4:00 PM on a Friday and wanted it that night. I had to  prep it then rustproof it. The VIP husband dude donned a lab coat and wanted to make sure I got every nook and cranny covered. Never mind the body panels were plastic on those vans. :lol: Had to break in to the parts room for "more body coat" :). Between him and the Shop owner I made $200 in tips that night! :banana-linedance:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Pullstart

I have a “Woolwax” kit that I was waiting for good weather but it says it needs to be 70.  Once 70 comes around, I’m too busy with stuff or too ignorant to remember that winter will still happen.  At least this fluid was thin enough to apply in cool weather :helmet:

Horse Newbie
10 hours ago, chip61 said:

One of my favorite vehicles! I had a '99 with 350, most comfortable, best riding vehicle I ever owned. Still regret selling it.

I have a 1998 Silverado Z71 with 275,000m, 350, still driving it regularly.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Horse Newbie
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

a passel

How many feet is that ?

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
11 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

How many feet is that ?

He don't know... :snooty:

:laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

How many feet is that ?

2 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

He don't know... :snooty:

:laughing-rolling:

Don

I do so!!

It's bout pahtway tween "yay much" n "so much".  

• Haha 2

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I do so!!

It's bout pahtway tween "yay much" n "so much".  

In other words... :dunno: but... :teasing-blah:

:teasing-wedgie:

Don

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor
On 11/30/2021 at 8:27 PM, Pullstart said:

with 33” tires and no correction for their overdrive, we got 11.4 highway.  That’s probably 12.5 or so.  We decided fuel mileage isn’t as much a huge concern on the budget, as 15-17 with her old one plus a payment.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

I'd say your doing pretty good then, best I ever got out of a 454 was 10mpg, but I will give them one thing, they're consistent about 10 whether loaded or empty :lol:

I just picked up an 81 C30 Camper Special with the 454 and 4 speed behind it at an impound sale a few days ago. Serviced it up tonight and brought it home. Will report my mileage after I drive it a bit. 

Oh and I promise to get some pictures and add to this thread tomorrow in the daylight :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

I'd say your doing pretty good then, best I ever got out of a 454 was 10mpg, but I will give them one thing, they're consistent about 10 whether loaded or empty :lol:

I just picked up an 81 C30 Camper Special with the 454 and 4 speed behind it at an impound sale a few days ago. Serviced it up tonight and brought it home. Will report my mileage after I drive it a bit. 

Oh and I promise to get some pictures and add to this thread tomorrow in the daylight :handgestures-thumbupright:

Congrats!  You’re finding quite the array of old iron lately Bryce!  

As for mpg’s, I wonder if the Suburban has more of a highway gear?  Nonetheless, that 454 scoots even those 35’s down the road just fine.

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor
12 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Congrats!  You’re finding quite the array of old iron lately Bryce!  

As for mpg’s, I wonder if the Suburban has more of a highway gear?  Nonetheless, that 454 scoots even those 35’s down the road just fine.

I actually bought the truck back in July, but with everything going on it took 5 months to get the title paperwork back from the state on the sale so I could get tags.

You're Suburban is definitely geared more for highway driving, which could account for a bit better mpg's. Being a Vortec series engine might have something to do with it as well. All of my 454s have been carbed, with the exception of one in a 1994 crew cab dually, but even it didn't see more than 10 most days. If you're averaging 12.5 that's really good, our 99 1/2 ton 4x4 Burb was only averaging around 15.5-16 with the 350.

• Like 3

Horse Newbie

Most mpg I’ve ever got out of my 98 Silverado 1500 4x4 350 Vortec is about 18… and that was about 2 years old at the most, and being gentle on the gas pedal.

After that it was mostly averaging 15-17 mpg… gotten as low as 10 mpg with a trailer or hauling and the older she gets the more it varies…

now she gets between 13-15…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

PeacemakerJack
15 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Most mpg I’ve ever got out of my 98 Silverado 1500 4x4 350 Vortec is about 18… 

now she gets between 13-15…

:text-yeahthat:Old “Warrior” my 1995 K2500 pictured on the first page of this thread has the TBI 350 in it.  When I got everything tuned good I grabbed a couple of 17mpg’s between fill ups but usual was around 15.  Lately though, I’ve been lucky if I score 12…I’m not 100% sure why the decline but I think a lot of it has to do with this engine just plain getting tired.  It has lived a rough life in the construction world (bought it from a concrete contractor).  They are an awesome series of truck though🙌🏻

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

OK as promised, even if it's a day late here are the pics of the 1981 C30 I picked up from the impound sale. Sorry for the dark pictures, the sun was just going down by the time I finished bolting down the welder, air compressor, and all the toolboxes. Still have to get my racks built for my bottles and transfer the welding leads from the trailer over on to the truck, but so far I'm very pleased with how its turning out. 

The old truck is no cherry by any means, but it should work just fine for a farm welding and repair truck. The 454 in it starts right up and runs well, the 4 speed transmission shifts smoothly, but the brakes need a little attention and the whole truck is an electrical nightmare. We drove it to town last night for Tasha's company Christmas party. Ran great there and back but when we got home I couldn't get it to shut off. Turn the key off but it would still stay running. We finally discovered that for whatever reason you cannot kill the truck if the headlights are still on, once I turned the lights out the ignition worked as it should :blink: so it definitely has some wiring issues that need addressed. Gonna have to have 6 new tires in the near future as well, but first I have to locate 4 16" wheels that will fit, the two on the front have already been changed over to 16s but the 4 across the back are still 16.5s

IMG211205-184324F.JPG

IMG211205-184331F.JPG

IMG211205-184347F.JPG

IMG211205-184419F.JPG

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

for whatever reason you cannot kill the truck if the headlights are still on, once I turned the lights out the ignition worked as it should :blink: 

THAT'S interesting!!!

Looks like a good solid truck overall. Well worth repairing. 

• Like 2

Gregor
8 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

whatever reason you cannot kill the truck if the headlights are still on, once I turned the lights out the ignition worked as it should

I would turn the head lights on, with the truck off, and check for 12V at the coil. If no 12V is present. you must have a relay that is staying latched, and only opens when both ignition AND headlights are off. If there is 12V at the coil, gremlins have been at your truck. Actually, either way, gremlins have been at your truck. If it's not almost impossible to do, I would check the back of the fuse block. Something got hot? meeces have been nibbling? :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

Screenshot_20211206-063840_Facebook.jpg.f25e95f0013427b1368f05c6d5c72985.jpgScreenshot_20211206-063856_Facebook.jpg.266fe14849903115d52b6e1b5038757e.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
23 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

Sorry for the dark pictures, the sun was just going down

Wow. You can sure see from horizon to horizon where you live! Beautiful. Up in this part of the country that just isn't possible.

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

see from horizon to horizon

All the better to see Comet Leonard!  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Wow. You can sure see from horizon to horizon where you live! Beautiful. Up in this part of the country that just isn't possible.

Impressive isn't it??

I've never seen truly flat land like that. 

Been to ND and even there is a slight roll. 

Tractorhead
On 12/1/2021 at 1:14 AM, pfrederi said:

Hope she doesn't have to drive too far on a daily driver at $3.69/ gal. as I recall 454's like to drink...

i had a stop today here at our local filling Station, Super98 oct. is 1,77€ /litre super plus100 oct. is 1,98€ /litre,

but i still continue to rebuild my old Ford, no doubt about it, it just sticks a little in the moment because i‘m very busy.

• Like 2

Gregor

If I have done my math right, that comes out to $8.66 a gallon. Is that right?:confusion-confused:

• Like 2

Pullstart

@ClassicTractorProfessor that’s an awesome rig!  I hope those old BBC’s are turning your blood more bow tie than oval!  :orcs-cheers:    On a more serious note, do you still have the F350 work truck too?

ClassicTractorProfessor
8 hours ago, Pullstart said:

@ClassicTractorProfessor that’s an awesome rig!  I hope those old BBC’s are turning your blood more bow tie than oval!  :orcs-cheers:    On a more serious note, do you still have the F350 work truck too?

The old F350 is still here for now, been having some issues with it not running right ever since September when we took it to the National Two Cylinder Show. I've chased and chased the issue with no luck, to the point I finally just gave up on it. I imagine the poor old thing is just wore completely out. This weekend I plan on getting the rest of the tools out of it and transferred over to the 81, then it will be sold, mostly for the bed but if the new owner wants to attempt to try and figure out what's going on with it I guess that's up to them. 

There are two things I am just about the point of being done with, and that's electronic crap and automatic transmissions. From now on if it's not equipped with a carburetor and a clutch pedal, it's not coming to live here:lol: and as much as I love the power of the old 454, converting me to a GM guy probably won't happen. I've been offered 4x what I paid for the truck already, but turned it down as it was the only big block 4 speed dually I could find without breaking the bank. Now come at me with an 80-86 F350 with a 460/4 speed and want to trade...we got a deal :lol:

• Like 5

Pullstart

Here’s an almost twin to Momma’s newest Suburban coming from CO again.  Jada’s first vehicle, and a project.  1999 GMC Suburban.  It needs an engine and we got it for a song and dance.

8C89E7A1-6280-43F5-927D-82CF8B89FC1E.jpeg

037DA926-8309-4F35-9C22-DFE8FF0EC651.jpeg

075CC244-695D-4DED-BB0E-AE0CBF6FEBA7.jpeg

32B9F67F-811A-49F0-BE9E-09E7C363DC0E.jpeg

3F8B817B-5122-427E-821F-389584DCEB35.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

PeacemakerJack

Super cool—rust free and a first vehicle nonetheless—Saweeet!!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2