Sign in to follow this  
Petes Horse

D160 Ross steering box sealed bearings.

Petes Horse

Getting my mess of a d160 rebuilt and found the source of play in my steering.

This may also explain the oddball rim.

Bottom race. Or is it races now?

NCM_0212.JPG.72411168f629071de5588457e772ad3c.JPG

-----------------------If you don't like modded OEM parts go no further, there be carnage ahead!----------------------------------------

So I went on a hunt for a replacement. Wow those are expensive. No standard bearings even close.

Turns out 3/4 x 1-3/8 x 1/2 wheel bearings fit perfect because of their flange. Well almost. The ID is a little off.

Adjustment needed. I already ground the lip off. I believe the lips were to hold the bearings for assembly.

NCM_0204.JPG.e6b15c38cfe0c8b7a954853380fec47a.JPG

The flange of the bearing sits nicely in the adjustment cup.

Looking down into the cup with bearing in it. Flange side down.

NCM_0206.JPG.c5fc63e47763d78f4c76f19dbca21f0a.JPG

Worm alignment with sealed bearing in cup on left. Same as new.

NCM_0207.JPG.18f88d9801d888c5f8be125c323ff110.JPG

The cotter pin hole doesn't line up but there is enough room to drill a new one.

End view with bearing installed.

NCM_0208.JPG.7aeb8055f76dce898cbaca8a8fa9fd11.JPG

To install both top and bottom bearings you have to grind or turn a good portion of the shaft and the lip on the other side.

It's only .030 so not to bad.

Both bearings installed. Fit nicely against the shoulder of the race on the worm.

NCM_0211.JPG.0ed7c84f63216677d04995419ce7a74a.JPG

Worm alignment with both bearings installed. Old outer races removed. tightened snug. Still has full travel and is more centered.

NCM_0209.JPG.b7d4cb797fbf1455a5fa019324d048fc.JPG

No way to install cotter pin. but my alignment cup was so tight it will not come loose. I'm lucky I got it out.

End cap with both bearings installed.

NCM_0210.JPG.d5aa6d831966c08711c95f5fa54755e3.JPG

Hi-tech cap removal tool :) one ground down wood bit.

NCM_0213.JPG.2ccc5fc01d10aebd797f30c52b5f7a9d.JPG

The sealed bearings sit up against the shoulder of the race and the bearing flanges face away from the worm.

The flange may need adjusting depending on who made it. There is no inner seal so it can be greased like usual.

I'm not sure how they will hold up to thrust loads but for 6 bucks I'll risk it.

I didn't grind near the original races at all so it can be put back to original if need be, minus some metal anyway.

Welp, back to painting parts.......

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

When I rebuilt mine I used the JD parts as a source for the end bearings to the worm gear , seal to the box/steering arm , prices weren't too bad for being such odd parts . I did turn a sleeve for the top of the steering tube and used a fully sealed 3/4x1-3/8 wheel bearing as a shaft support for the steering wheel - that really helped . Also , I used a nice NICE thrust bearing for the thrust shaft upgrade and a locking jam nut - steers like it's got hydraulics on it , literally . I've got a full thread around here somewhere...

Sarge