WHX??

A blown K301

WHX??

So this is my man's @Rp.wh12 hp '68? Raider that had a little mishap at my recent plow event. Good news here is the block was not ventilated so we think with a little coin and some greasy hands this motor can be saved. It seems that when a rod goes it will either punch the block or go the other way  to the cam.  Which is what it did breaking the  cam. Note the indent on the fuel pump lobe where something wacked it. Piston shirt was busted up pretty good as it looks like the piston was slammed down on the crank. Wrist pin was ovaled and the whole bottom of the piston was mashed. This was done under a full load of dirt and plowing. @PeacemakerJack claims to have a video of when it went so perhaps he'll share here.

I chewed my man's  rear out about it running it low on low oil and tipped over in the furrow but he swears he topped it off  before the day. I dunno but but not much oil came out and what did was sludge. Regardless damage is done so let's just fix it. New 10 over piston with rings is in order along with a new cam and 10 under rod. Bore is  clean and not tapered so a std. piston and rings might be fitted in but is getting close to max out of tolerance so might as do it right. Obviously suffering from some low end lubrication issues.

20171023_211501.jpg

20171022_180832.jpg

20171022_182832.jpg

20171022_182904.jpg

20171023_211430.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Searcher60

Certainly looks like no oil.........

PeacemakerJack

Ouch!  I'll get that video uploaded soon and will post a link to it here. It's a bummer to see happen but at least it is a much easier fix than my Uncle Ken is looking at this winter. He owns a fully restored 1952 Case LA Antique tractor. At a plow day this summer he blew a piston and it punched a fist sized hole right in the side of the engine block. Needless to say, it is very difficult and expensive to find the parts for those. Glad to see the block is intact. Thanks for the update Jim!  I'm once again reminded of the importance of fresh oil and good oil, and enough oil in a dedicated plow tractor. It is important in all but in a plow tractor that is often worked to the extreme, maybe even more so...

squonk

Crank getting turned? 

rmaynard

I'd soak the crank pin in muriatic acid and see if the aluminum residue comes off.

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

Here is the video.  It isn't anything spectacular and it is taken from across the field by my 11 year old.  However, if you watch close when Ryan pulls out of the furrow headed to the left you see a puff of smoke-that was the death of that piston.  Ryan can describe the experience from the first person point of view here if he would like.  Beware, this video is shaky but it shows us all turning some earth except Dan, who's Raider had a weak battery and it wouldn't keep the coil driven motor running.

Good to see that the K301 is already being fixed, especially since Ryan is planning to use this tractor for snow removal duties this winter.  That "old man" is coming all too soon now.

• Like 1

WHX??
4 hours ago, squonk said:

Crank getting turned? 

Yup

2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

see if the aluminum residue comes off.

It does Bob, actually the crank is not scored just embedded with AL. If this were a trailer queen or a parade tractor I would be tempted to polish the journal and run it but a plow tractor.... I dunno?? I also think I know a guy who can turn cranks.

1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Here is the video

Despite the puff of smoke Jack good video and I was hoping you got action of us all lined up! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

rmaynard

If I had to guess what happened, I'd say the oil was low, and with the tractor's right wheels deep in the furrow, all the oil pooled on the right side of the oil pan. The slinger couldn't throw enough oil up to the hole in the rod cap and voila, the rod seized. 

Just my :twocents-02cents:.

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

C-101plowerpower
9 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Here is the video.  It isn't anything spectacular and it is taken from across the field by my 11 year old.  However, if you watch close when Ryan pulls out of the furrow headed to the left you see a puff of smoke-that was the death of that piston.  Ryan can describe the experience from the first person point of view here if he would like.  Beware, this video is shaky but it shows us all turning some earth except Dan, who's Raider had a weak battery and it wouldn't keep the coil driven motor running.

Good to see that the K301 is already being fixed, especially since Ryan is planning to use this tractor for snow removal duties this winter.  That "old man" is coming all too soon now.

i believe i hear the clunk as the conrod lets go round the 5/6 second mark?

Edited by C-101plowerpower
  • Like 3

WHX??

So after a few too many searchs and phone calls I get a RETURN call from a machine shop owner  not too terribly far away. Side note, shops that are willing to to work on one lung motors around here are EXTREMELY rare. Note also the owner actually calls me back, unheard of these days. This guy right off the bat says you must be working on a Kohler ....I says that's right howed you know? Only vintage motor guys want to save he says! Bamn  right from the git go we hit it off. Offers me a couple of dirt cheap K's he been using for door stops and a wide frame  puller Cub. Says he machined many a K series puller so when I inquire about pricing for such machine work I thinks, Jim, you gotta go meet this guy, this might be a relationship made in heaven. Stay tuned for this rebuild.

• Like 6

Rp.wh
10 hours ago, C-101plowerpower said:

i believe i hear the clunk as the conrod lets go round the 5/6 second mark?

Yeah thats what that was. It was pretty loud bang on the machine

• Sad 1

Fordiesel69

That crank will need to goto .010 under for sure.  Maybe more......

WHX??

Crank measured out at 1.520 with the aluminum on it. 1.500 is std & 1.490 is 10 under  so a .010 should be ok. There is no scoring on the steel itself just looks that way.

953 nut
On 10/24/2017 at 6:15 AM, rmaynard said:

I'd soak the crank pin in muriatic acid and see if the aluminum residue comes off.

Like Bob said, give it a bath and polish it up with a little 400 wet/dry and oil to see what it measures.

• Like 1

WHX??

I did just that Dick and it came in at 1.497. which is close but there are some imperfections that showed up under the AL. Now I'm not too sure 10 under will take them out so Ford Diesel may be right in 20 under. . I am going to let the machine shop guy make the call. He is going to take it down to 1.490 and see what it looks like.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Looks like you found the right machine guy Jim...I was ready to offer you mine.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2