Rob XC700

Shifter pulled out of 8 speed Transmission

Rob XC700

Hi Guys, Help!!!

In the middle of moving a pile of dirt and my shifter stopped going into gear and the handle lifted out. Obviously the small knob on the end goes into a socket in the transmission, but what holds it in there? I don't have to do a major overhaul to get this thing going again do I?

I see in the diagram a "Special Set Screw" and a nut. I will go look at it. What's so special about the set screw? Besides it being special when the shifter comes out lol...

mikeeyre74

I think it's called a "dog point" screw, and it's just a setscrew with a point on the end and a locknut on the other (outside portion) to hold the position when it's set right. Just push the shifter back in after lining things up in there and tighten down the dogpoint screw with an allen wrench until it bottoms. Back it out just a hair and then tighten down the locknut so it holds position.

Rob XC700

Thanks mikeeyre74

Went out and took a look. Screw broken off on the external side, so it backed out over time. I found a bolt with the end already ground on the end. Just not enough, so I well grind down to size.

Now I just have to figure out where the end drops into in the transmission. Diagram not detailed enough and the seat pan hole isn't in a good position to see "straight down" the hole in the trans. I see a square slot, but that doesn't make sense since the shifter is a round ball on the end....

mikeeyre74

No, that's correct. that "square hole" you see is one side of the shifter slot. There's another one on the opposite side of that, so if you push forward and move side to side there's those gears or pull back and move side to side theres those gears to choose from as well. You just need to line them both up together so they're "in the midle and then drop that lever down in between them, then set your screw. If you get everything out of the way, by removing the seat and fender, you can look down inside the hole easy enough and see what I mean.

pfrederi

Rather than grinding get a 1/4 NC (20 TPI) Dog Point Set screw

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Rob...type "loose shifter" in the above search box.  Plenty of threads and some pictures to explain what is going on.  :occasion-xmas:  some part numbers also.

• Like 1

Rob XC700

Thanks everyone.

I found the YouTube video that showed the overhaul procedure and he identified the 2 shift forks and how they need to be aligned. It all made sense from there. I made sure it was rolling back and forth in gear Blocked the wheels stuck my finger down the hole and confirmed it was in neutral.

I didn't have time to find a set screw. I found a screw that already had a tip on it. It took about 10 minutes and a file to get it to the correct size. Worked perfect. I will locate the correct screw over the next week or so. I'm sure it's a better grade of steel.

I will check out the previous threads for "loose Shifter" as well. I don't know why I didn't think of that at the time. Thanks for that reminder, so I do that first next time. I guess I was in a panic. Had a trailer full of dirt and that tractor is the only thing I have that will pull it up the hill. I love low range.

Good news is, I was only down for about an hour and got "Edward" back to work pushing dirt and pulling my loaded trailer.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

You can always feel free to just ask a question.  I just mentioned the "search function", because it sounded like you did not understand how it all worked.  It takes a lot of typing to explain it all, plus a good amount of time.  This way can be much faster when you are in a hurry.  :occasion-xmas:  and the videos are worth a 1000 words.

• Thanks 1

Rob XC700

Ordered 3 each 1/4"-20 x 3/4" Hex Drive Full Dog Point Set Screws from the Fastenal today. $1.50 each. That's an expense we can handle. Yes 2 spares for stock.

• Like 2

WHX??

You should have asked us here first for those Rob.. I would have  sent you  a couple for free and @Racinbob would have doubled the order! :lol: We'd  had you set for every tractor in Canada ! :)

TIP:

Clean the threads as best can and use a NEW jam nut..... a little blue loctite here never hurt anything here as well. And quit speed shifting on that shifter!:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rob XC700
1 hour ago, WHX12 said:

You should have asked us here first for those Rob.. I would have  sent you  a couple for free and @Racinbob would have doubled the order! :lol: We'd  had you set for every tractor in Canada ! :)

TIP:

Clean the threads as best can and use a NEW jam nut..... a little blue loctite here never hurt anything here as well. And quit speed shifting on that shifter!:lol:

:lol: Thanks Jim for the offer. Fastenal is just a walk across the parking lot from my office. That's fast and easy. Now some of those more difficult parts I might be looking for in the future I might need to ask for some assistance from my Wheel Horse friends south of the border.:)

Thanks for the tip about the blue loctite. I was thinking I should use some. The threads in the trans were perfectly clean. The set screw was actually broken off on the external side. Nut and part of the set screw missing. I was able to just wind remaining piece out with my fingers.

How did you know I was power shifting? I guess mentioning using the dozer blade gave it away...forward, reverse, forward, reverse...and continue to repeat a few dozen more times....:lol:

• Haha 1

stevasaurus

I'm not sure that I would use LocTite for this procedure.  Those set screws are hardened and are a bear to get out if they are stuck.  They are also very hard to drill out.  Usually, when they break, if something is sticking out, you can turn them with your fingers.  That will not happen with Loctite, and you will have to drop your trans to take care of the issue.  :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Rob XC700

That's why I wasn't sure which way to go. I don't like anything seized. Change of plans. No Loctite...apply anti-seize. Get it adjusted and locked, then add grease or anti-seize to the exterior threads to protect. Check periodically to confirm everything is the way it should be.

I'm a snowmobiler, and that's how I put my sled suspension together. No Loctite, ant seize and check after every ride. Hasn't failed me in 30 years.

• Like 2

Sarge

Here's my rules for using Loctite -

If you can use heat to break the bond and remove the fastener - use red

If you can only use light heat to break the bond and remove the fastener - use blue

If you can use no heat - use anti-seize .

:ph34r:

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2