Sign in to follow this  
TT

Fabrication / bodywork....

TT

I just thought I'd throw this on here because of the recent discussion of plastic filler use on Wheel Horse parts, and the tendency for it to crack, chip, or peel if applied too thick or improperly.

This is a bicycle I built for my boy to take to the local CAR shows, where he actually won a trophy or two, and was featured in two different newspapers.

It was built out of many pieces of frames and was molded and painted by me. (bright silver metallic acrylic lacquer and clear-coated with spray cans!)

He is now 14 and still rides it on occasion, and it has survived his growth from about 100 lbs when it was finished to the 200-plus pounds he weighs now! (he's about 5'11" too!) If anything is going to crack plastic filler, it would be him on this bike, and it still seems to be holding up well.

(The sissy bar doubles as a center stand while not riding the "chopper." It flips up at an angle to the rear and sort of looks like a wing on a top-fuel dragster when he's riding it! :D )

Oct23169.jpg

Oct23172.jpg

combatmp29r

Terry that is too cool. So how hard is it to ride?

TT

It's actually very easy to ride -- even for me! :P

I started on it almost a year before my son was born (he was planned :( -- Good thing he was a HE!), and it took seven more years for me to finish it! (after he grew up enough to start asking me about it! :( )

It was built and rebuilt about four times after that first time and has stayed the way it is now for the last four years. The kids at the shows are always asking him where he BOUGHT it and he just smiles and says "me & my Dad BUILT it!" :D

combatmp29r

Thats the best type of toys right there. :D

my dad and i built a minibike when I was about 9. Found the frame at a yard sale for $5. Had a Briggs 3.5 horse in the shop, and the rest came from variouse sources. It has been repowered 3 times. I blew the first motor up, and each of my nephews killed one. We still have it. Its in Dads shop with a 10 horse briggs on it now. Yes he lost his marbles when he put the current motor on :(

Oh and it has no brakes never did. always been the drag your feet to stop type :P

TT

Ahhhhhh...... the good old "Flintstone Flyer" :P

My son has sent two pair of shoes to the trash because of those "brakeless wheeled machines"!

Just in case you want a good chuckle.... here's MY bike:

Mar20558.jpg

Seriously! :D I always wanted a Schwinn "Hot Rod" bike and when they came out with the fat tire Manta Ray three years ago, I bought one. (I waited 'til it was on clearance at Wal*Mart for $55.00!)

Rollerman

Terry thats awesome!...I keep reading these threads I'll be stealing bikes & fireing up the welder. :P

I like the Manta Ray too, did not see anything like that at my local Wally world.

My son has one of the Schwinn choppers & it's the only bike he didn't ride into oblivion & thats only because he could not jump it & got bored with it.

I still have my Schwinn "Lemon Peel" from back in the day.

I used to get laughed at for rideing it...but now all I hear is how much it's worth?... :D

Anyways..cool pics & another Capri shot.

TT

Thanks, Stephen! :P

The boy has now spotted the "Chinese-version" reissued Sting Ray at Wal*Mart and thinks he has to have one! They're around $66.00, I think. :D

This link should get you to a picture.

http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bike_l...INGRAY_PUR2.jpg

Never too old for a COOL bike! :( :(

Rollerman

Still looks good to me even if it's made in China & painted with lead paint.

I used to deliver newspapers on a Schwinn Stingray with the 2 speed kick back on it.....memories. :D

C-Series14

I had the Schwinn 5-speed Stingray with the shifter on the center bar. Had the wrinkle wall slick on the back. If I knew then what I know now! I did buy the Schwinn Stingray Chopper back when they first come out, boy I should of waited for that price to drop. :D I did see a Schwinn at Walmart with the springer frontend and small front tire, might get one of those if they are cheap!

TT

That's the one I was trying to find the picture of at Wal*Mart.com, but couldn't. :P

I didn't see it at the Schwinn website either, but they definitely have the springer front forks. :D

chevelletown

motorbike.jpg

Here's a bike I put together. Funny thing about it, I never did get much exercise with that engine mounted to it :D

Rollerman

Um yeah Ken...your suposed to peddle if you want the exercise. :D

Neat old bike though...is that what they call a "Whizzer"?