953 nut

Why I haven't been out in the barn playing with the horses much lately.

KC9KAS

Cabinets look very nice!

I know what you are saying.....When my wife gets that painful look on her face and says, "I've been thinking......" it usually means work for Ken!

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

@953 nut Can I come live in your wood working shop? I really like your table saw/work bench. What a great idea. If you wake up one morning and find it missing don't think of me.

• Like 6

953 nut
16 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

come live in your wood working shop?

:text-lol:      The woodworking shop had been our guest house prior to building our new house. When we bought the property it had two single bedroom houses, we liked the property enough (and the price) that it didn't matter; planned on building a new house anyway. Now the house we lived in for five years is the guest house. Here is a picture of it after a horse rustling trip in 2006. Suburban 400 on the trailer and a pair of RJs in the truck; '57 RJ-35 and a '58 RJ.

400 and 2 RJs.jpg

• Like 9

Kurt-NEPA

Nice pics of your shop.  A woodworker can't have too many clamps!

Well done on the cabinets.

squonk
41 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-lol:      The woodworking shop had been our guest house prior to building our new house. When we bought the property it had two single bedroom houses, we liked the property enough (and the price) that it didn't matter; planned on building a new house anyway. Now the house we lived in for five years is the guest house. Here is a picture of it after a horse rustling trip in 2006. Suburban 400 on the trailer and a pair of RJs in the truck; '57 RJ-35 and a '58 RJ.

400 and 2 RJs.jpg

Where's Jim? I think I see him peeking out of that window! :)

• Like 3

JAinVA

Really nice work.I am curious if the doors you made have a floating center panel?They look like they are made from solid stock.Nothing like making something of wood from you own land.

• Like 3

953 nut
1 minute ago, JAinVA said:

Nothing like making something of wood from you own land.

You got that right! There is nothing quite as satisfying as creating something out of materials that most people wouldn't have saved. The door panels are solid oak and are free floating, the grooves in the stiles and rails have 1/4" rubber balls in them to prevent rattling but allow for expansion and contraction. 

• Like 3

Daddy Don

Wish I had those skills. Would save me a lot of money by doing it myself. Look great.

• Like 1

JPWH

:text-coolphotos: Nice cabinets. Nice wood shop too. Maybe wait till summer to ask what's next. (Shorter sleeve).:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JAinVA

Dick,

Sounds like you have it covered.Working with solid wood presents a totally different set of challenges than manufactured panels as you know well.You're work and photos are a good example of the diversity of the talents and skills that the folks here have.Beautiful work and now the  missus who was showed the pictures asks when I'm going to redo her kitchen. 

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

Blasterdad
2 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

Cabinets look very nice!

I know what you are saying.....When my wife gets that painful look on her face and says, "I've been thinking......" it usually means work for Ken!

:text-yeahthat:

I know that look well, your cabinetry skills are top notch! Very nice!!!

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

Beautiful work Richard, I also know that look all too well, which is why I'm not gonna let the wife see this thread :) She can come up with enough things for me to do without inspiration 

• Like 4

WHX??

You been holding out on us Richard..... here we thought you was only good with horses! :ychain:  :bow-yellow:

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

@953 nut If I a shop that nice , I would move my bed and all my pills to the second floor. Wake up in morning cup of coffee , pills and downstairs to the smell of sawdust and then to the barn to take a ride on a horse. Could not ask for more. By the way you do great work on the cabinets and doors . Got a guest house huh , if you see a light blue El Camino in your drive don't worrying it just me waiting to learn woodworking from you. 

• Like 5

JAinVA

Jim does that thing run? When I saw it ,it was pretty but you didn't start it.Just askin.

Edited by JAinVA

rjg854

From one carpenter to another, very nice work :music-rockout:

• Like 3

dcrage

Love the trusses on the front porch of the guest house -- What was this property? A Vanderbilt's cousins weekend retreat?? -- I can see why you purchased the place

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse
20 hours ago, JAinVA said:

Jim does that thing run? When I saw it ,it was pretty but you didn't start it.Just askin.

Yes it runs put a total of 255 miles on it between the 12 month inspections .  I keep wanting to sell it but then the head of the household gives me the look and quotes the amount of money that I have spent on it. 

• Like 2

JAinVA

Apologizes Richard I should not have posted off topic.You have created something of beauty that your missus will enjoy for a long time.

• Like 1

6wheeler
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:14 PM, KC9KAS said:

Cabinets look very nice!

My older brother is a finish carpenter. Actually, he is a ground up, turn an old piece of wood into the most beautiful thing you ever saw kind of guy. 953nut?.   You and my brother must be related. I must be adopted. Give me a 2"X4"? I can make you a toothpick, sort of:violence-blades:. Very nice work. You should be very proud. My wife usually change her mind with the gardens. The sun isn't hitting it right, I know you just cleared that. But, we should move it over here.  The whole measure twice, cut once, thing with wood? Never worked with me. Cutting steel and welding? Works for me. Not so much with wood. Nice work.

• Like 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, 6wheeler said:

My wife usually change her mind with the gardens. The sun isn't hitting it right, I know you just cleared that. But, we should move it over here.  The whole measure twice, cut once, thing

There was a bit of that here too. When we were laying out the batter boards (to locate the trenches for the foundation footers) I explained that this one large oak she had "Saved" from being killed would need to be removed. As a compromise we shifted one end of the house over ten feet. Ironically, the tree died two years later and and needed to be removed anyway.

• Like 2