JAinVA

ice storm

JAinVA

I'm throwin this out there again because for our members in the Midwest this is going to be a serious a issue.If it shows up under topics maybe we in the unaffected zone will know how they are doing.If the moderators have a problem with this I will understand but at least one of the moderators has been affected.Hope T-Mo is OK.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 5

T-Mo

Thanks, Jim.  So far, we're doing fine.  It hasn't been as bad, yet, as predicted.  But they forecasted this to be in waves.  Like 6 hours on, 6 hours off.  It stop the freezing rain and sleet yesterday evening and now it's quiet without no precipitation.  But that is supposed to pick back up again this morning.  Last wave will be early tomorrow morning and that is supposed to be the heaviest and the one of most concern. 

Unfortunately there have been at least two fatal car accidents in the St. Louis area yesterday.  Prayers for those families.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

The ice was to be in our area yesterday too. The National Weather Service sent us (we are weather spotters) texts about the ice advisory being from 6 AM to 6 PM on 1/13. We only got slight drizzle (above freezing) all day and at 1 PM the advisory was cancelled.

We were planning a trip to Indianapolis on Saturday (1/14) to the RV show, but my wife and an other lady canceled the plans because of ice to the north of us.

• Like 1

JAinVA

Thanks for the updates guys hopefully we will get updates from other members as well.

ClassicTractorProfessor

Everyone keep safe and keep us updated. We are starting to get some light freezing rain here. Just checked the radar and looks like its only gonna get heavier as the day goes by and then again tomorrow. Forecast models are putting us right in the middle of the hardest hit area in Oklahoma. We are located around the Woodward area on the map

FB_IMG_1484408697626.jpg

• Like 1

T-Mo

Bryce,

Keep safe.  It's starting to rain here again.  33 degrees right now, so at least it's above freezing, so far.

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Thanks Terry. 29 here now...got the cows all fed yesterday and stocked up on the essentials. Brought the welder in from the farm so have standby electricity if we need it. So shouldn't have to go anywhere for the weekend. Just wish I had some heat in the shed, I'm bored and the Horses are calling my name LOL

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

Ice has started to arrive here went out to the shop for a bit to do some cleaning and put some tractor parts away. Truck is iced over and the yard is getting pretty slick...roads are still just wet but I'm sure that will change before long 

• Like 2

Digger 66

Off topic ( sort of ) but this is one strange winter!

We're due for a week of 45-50 degree temps IN THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY .

A sledders worst nightmare .

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
37 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

Off topic ( sort of ) but this is one strange winter!

We're due for a week of 45-50 degree temps IN THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY .

A sledders worst nightmare .

It has been strange. Just last Thursday it was 65 degrees here and now ice, which to update everyone is still coming down but still have heat and lights so we are good. Weirdest part of this winter here was the weekend before Christmas. That Friday the temp was almost 75, we were running around with all windows down on the truck like we do in summer. Then the next day wake up to snow and temp of 3 with wind chill of 12 below. Actual temperature got down to 8 below that night

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Intellicast predicted very light accumulation, but big drama was predicted by the TV news. Nothing at all stuck on the ground, hardly anything on cars and trucks.

Then there is the old saying--"The closer to the weekend, the more inaccurate the forecast"  It did look pretty ugly on the radar with that huge pink area coming at us from the west. The amount of rain that fell would have been horrible had it turned to ice.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Checking in from Oklahoma again. Still coming down pretty good out there. Street in front on the house is not froze yet but everything else has got I'd say close to a 1/4" of ice on it. Power just went out. Not going to get out in the rain just yet, if it doesn't come back in an hour or so I'll venture out and fire up the welder.

• Like 1

JAinVA

This is not what we want to hear but it is what we want to know.That is the reason for this thread.Sorry you lost power.Hope you and yours get through this okay.I have been through 3 bad ones and that's why I m so wound up over this event.Hope you get back on the grid soon.Luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

Thanks Jim, just got back inside from firing up welder, won't run the whole house but at least it'll run the refrigerator and a heater. Walked around in the yard a little bit...we have lost about 10 tree limbs so far, luckily none of them hit the house, shop, or the truck. Did drag a couple in out of the street. Looks like I'll be busy with the chainsaw for a few days after this passes, neighbors lost several too from what I could see. Everyone stay safe out there

• Like 3

JAinVA

Good to hear you are okay Bryce.From the pictures you have posted trees should not be a big problem in your area.The problem for you may just be line failure.I hope that's the case.Keep us updated as you can.If we don't hear from you folks in the affected areas we can only assume the worst.I think from my reaction to this event ,ice storms have made an impression on me.They have.Stay safe and warm.

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Just came back inside from checking on things. Heard a big crash earlier right after I came in. Turned out a big portion of the tree by the corner of the driveway fell and some of it hit the back of my truck. Luckily the truck I have here right now is a flatbed so didn't hurt it any, probably have to take that tree clear down. There is one that doesn't look too good pretty close to the house, let's keep our fingers crossed that it holds up. And you are right thankfully we don't have many trees around here. I remember the 2013 ice storm. We were living in SE Oklahoma where there is a lot more trees. Wife's grandpa and j went to town and had to chainsaw a path in a couple places to get down the road, then same thing again on our way home. I'll try to get some pics in the morning but so far all is good here. Gonna get some sleep, will check in again in the morning

• Like 2

T-Mo

Bryce,

Keep warm and safe.  It sounds like you're getting hit hard.

It's raining here at my house as I typed this, but the temperature is holding at 33 degrees, so it's all liquid now.

• Like 3

JC 1965

Great news T-Mo, Sure hope everyone else affected by the storm is ok.  Prayers to all of them.  

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Everything is OK here for the moment, besides losing our generator. Grandpa's generator quit in the middle of the night so I told him come get the welder, he and 90 yr old great grandma need it worse than us. Just been outside streets are clear but everything else is solid ice. Don't want to hijack purpose of this thread but will start one with pictures I took. Getting ready to drive around town and assess the damages. 

• Like 2

JAinVA

Bryce,

Sounds like your grandparents are lucky to have you to look out for them.Your updates and everyone else's is what this thread was meant for.If you start another thread with pictures hopefully we will continue to get updates today.It is rough when you have to have a chainsaw in the truck just to get around.Best of luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

@T-Mo how are things up your way? Hope everyone is safe out there

• Like 1

T-Mo

Bryce, temps have been above freezing all day, so everything falling from the sky has been in liquid form and not freezing. It's a wet, cold mess out there; very nasty weather, but other than that. it's all good.

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Glad to hear it Terry same here just cold and wet right now...still no power

Phone service is next to nothing right now so if y'all don't hear from me thats why

• Like 1

T-Mo

Bryce,

Sorry to hear that you are still without power.  That's not good.  It's amazing and somewhat humbling, to realize how much we're dependent upon certain comfort things, like electricity.  Makes me appreciate those that do without on a daily basis, and to those pioneers and those who have gone before us who did without the things we have today.

Funny thing, I seen a facebook post a few weeks ago, calling a teenager miraculous for going 6 hours without wi-fi.  I think it was a joke post, but it wouldn't surprise me if some would think it was a miracle to survived for a few hours without phone or internet service.

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Still no power but the storm is over with. Supposed to warm up to mid to upper 40s today so a lot of the ice will be gone after while. Power company is in town, other side of town got power back last night so maybe today. Getting ready to go get my bucket truck and get ready for the cleanup process. 

• Like 2