953 nut

12-21-1974

953 nut

12-21-1974

Harry Chapin earns a #1 hit with “Cat’s In The Cradle”

Harry Chapin earned a reputation as a politically conscious singer-songwriter who dedicated himself, in the years before his untimely death, to various noble causes, including wiping out world hunger. Indeed, his greatest legacy may stem more from his charitable efforts than from his music itself, but for a brief period in the early 1970s, Harry Chapin was a legitimate pop star. On this day in 1974, he earned his one and only #1 pop hit when his bittersweet story-song “Cat’s In The Cradle” reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100.

Before turning his attention to music at the relatively advanced age of 29, Harry Chapin pursued a career as a film director, earning an Oscar nomination for his 1968 boxing documentary, Legendary Champions. In 1971, he recruited a backing band via an ad in The Village Voice and recorded his first album. Released in 1972,Heads & Tales included what many fans regard as Chapin's signature song—”Taxi,” a lushly produced, six-minute-plus story song about a San Francisco cab driver and a long-lost love he picks up as a fare. Despite its length, “Taxi” became a hit, reaching #24 on the Billboard pop chart in the spring of 1972. Chapin’s second and third albums were nowhere near as successful as his first, and he’d turned his full-time attention to writing a Broadway show when his fourth album, Verities & Balderdash, unexpectedly became a smash hit on the strength of "Cat’s In The Cradle,” a tale of an absent father and an endless cycle of intergenerational dysfunction based on a poem written by Chapin’s wife.

12-21-1985.jpg

Edited by Sparky
Title fixed
  • Like 2

KC9KAS

On this day in 1974, he earned his one and only #1 pop hit when his bittersweet story-song “Cat’s In The Cradle” reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100.

Your post title says 1985....??

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

:text-imsorry:    Right you are, I guess I screwed that up!     :hide:

Sparky
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:text-imsorry:    Right you are, I guess I screwed that up!     :hide:

All fixed.

Mike.....

953 nut
7 minutes ago, Sparky said:

All fixed.

:thanks:   I am just barely computer literate enough to make mistakes, but didn't know how to correct it.  :bow-blue:

• Like 1