formariz

Different Analogue Tachometer option.

formariz

Since Bob got my "gadget fever" going again with his post and experience with his tach find,  after a little research I found this one that will definitely work on a one cylinder engine with two easy connection options, hardwired, or inductive pickup.Its a little larger at 3-3/8" and has a scale up to 8000RPM but that will not bother me. After all I only use a portion of the scale in the car also anyway.It works with anything from one to five cylinders. I am going to try this one on my black hood and mount it right on the hood. Its a little pricey but its here in the US which will make less risky if anything goes wrong and has to be returned. It also has a one year warranty.  Its the Equus 6068 costs $80.00 at Amazon. Here is also a link to Manufacturer page    https://equus.com/Product/6068. 

Instructions link under photo.

6068_b2.jpg

93-0012.revE.pdf.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

Achto

@formariz If your engine uses a magneto/solid state ignition off of the fly wheel wouldn't you require a tach for a two stroke engine? I ask this because a mag ignition fires every revolution instead of every other revolution.

WHX??

So what you are saying Dan is the plug fires on the exhaust stroke like older Harleys? Good point as that wouldn't/might not work on some mag/SS ignitions (inductive pickup)  but would work on points ignitions?? So in looking at their hook up options none of them would appear to work. I put one on an older Harley shovelhead motor with one coil and two spark plug leads and used the option one where is was connected to the - of the coil and it worked. Tach might have been calibrated to divide by 2 tho?? Don't remember...  Easy enough to figure out if the plug fires that way with a spark tester. Still would be fun to get one and play around with.

• Like 1

formariz

With the exception of a two cylinder engine I have here every conceivable ignition type engine. It is my intention to try it in all of them. Only then will we know if and what it works on.  Hopefully we will put to rest the search for the "holy tach". Stay tuned, it will be here by Friday.

• Like 4

WHX??

Excellent idea if one has all the different ig. systems.... just saw this  too, more info here on what we are talking about.

Yes please keep us posted Cas

• Like 1

Achto
17 hours ago, formariz said:

Here is also a link to Manufacturer page    https://equus.com/Product/6068. 

I read through the pdf manual. Given the programmable cylinder choices that you have with this tach I think you will be able to make it work with a breaker-less ignition. You may have to set the tach for a two cylinder to get the correct reading. 

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
6 hours ago, formariz said:

With the exception of a two cylinder engine I have here every conceivable ignition type engine. It is my intention to try it in all of them. Only then will we know if and what it works on.  Hopefully we will put to rest the search for the "holy tach". Stay tuned, it will be here by Friday.

I did find my holy tach AND IT WORKS.

Formariz I had the same mind set as you. All the posts for a working tach but no one would give a positive answer. I got it in my mind I was going to find a good substitute for the 520h tack that everyone says would work on the C series. I read every post I could about the problem to find a tach to work . I finally found mine.  I will post my last post on it in the one I started, you know the post that inspired you to do this one. Do give up you'll get .

formariz
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I did find my holy tach AND IT WORKS.

Formariz I had the same mind set as you. All the posts for a working tach but no one would give a positive answer. I got it in my mind I was going to find a good substitute for the 520h tack that everyone says would work on the C series. I read every post I could about the problem to find a tach to work . I finally found mine.  I will post my last post on it in the one I started, you know the post that inspired you to do this one. Do give up you'll get .

Awesome!! Now we know that one works for that system and its great because it has the correct diameter and dial,so it looks stock. I am hoping that the one I am waiting for will work with the other ignition systems, namely magneto without a charging system, and battery ignition with a starter generator which happens to be my preferred setup. Looks like we will be finally getting somewhere with this search.

• Like 1

formariz

So Tachometer has arrived. Started having some difficulties with it but then I got smart and really read instructions so here are the results so far:

1-- Battery ignition with alternator inside flywheel--Works fine both hardwired to coil or using induction connection. 

2--Battery ignition with starter generator----Also works fine with both connections

3-- Kohler breaker less ignition on Electro12 (trigger system)--Could not make it work! Can only use induction connection on this one due to different coil. Tach responds very little to it in any setting. On this system may have to resort to a tach such as Bob used, but I don't know if I would want to fool with any wires from stator on the Electro. Nearly impossible to find and well over $250.00 when found.

4-- Tecumseh H60 under flywheel stator and points on 653.---Could not make it work.No response from tack whatsoever. Researching the possibility of  using a magneto signal converter.

Comparing tach to Tiny Tack's that I have and to laser tach readings it is extremely accurate and responsive. Seems to be ideal for any battery ignition system real easy to connect without disturbing or tapping into exiting wiring.

Since there is some response on the breaker less ignition there may be a way to make it work, however due to the scarcity and price of those components I just don't want to fool with it at this point but have not given up yet.

It is a little on the large size at about 3" but for my purpose it is fine since it does not have to look stock and I want to place it where I can see it readily when in use. Attached are a couple of videos of today's attempts.

IMG_1057.MOV

IMG_1059.MOV

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

BOB ELLISON

That's great news that we finally found tach's that work. I have been working on mine for over a month.  I love the design of yours but I would have a hard time mounting it on my C160 or b80.

There's just no room for gages. The black hoods and 300-500 series don't have that problem. Great work on this.

I have another tach coming, it's the same one that's on my c160 I'll try to hook it to the coil to see if it will work there as well as stator. I had trouble with the first tach as stated in my other post with the ground. I'll test this new one before I try to connect it.

We need pictures of yours I had a hard time downloading your videos and when I did I only got first one to play but no sound.

formariz
27 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

That's great news that we finally found tach's that work. I have been working on mine for over a month.  I love the design of yours but I would have a hard time mounting it on my C160 or b80.

There's just no room for gages. The black hoods and 300-500 series don't have that problem. Great work on this.

I have another tach coming, it's the same one that's on my c160 I'll try to hook it to the coil to see if it will work there as well as stator. I had trouble with the first tach as stated in my other post with the ground. I'll test this new one before I try to connect it.

We need pictures of yours I had a hard time downloading your videos and when I did I only got first one to play but no sound.

I will be posting pictures of it when its finally mounted. Looking to order another one, so each of the tractors they were successful on will have one since they are two of the most used ones.Will probably get one like yours also and play around with that one. I am wondering if that one will work on 653 with the h60 since connection to the AC output is real easy on that one.Will have to do some research on the underside of flywheel on that one.

As for the videos I will probably the switch them to you tube it should be easier then.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Formariz I can see by the views there is a lot of interest in finding a tach for these tractors. Not only wheel horse's

But other brands as well. On the H60 which I have on my lawn ranger I don't know about that one. It has no coil and the flywheel has a single magnet in it I believe .

The only way I think is to use a wire around the plug wire type little tach.

I just guessing on that one. I hope someone proves me wrong.

formariz
29 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Formariz I can see by the views there is a lot of interest in finding a tach for these tractors. Not only wheel horse's

But other brands as well. On the H60 which I have on my lawn ranger I don't know about that one. It has no coil and the flywheel has a single magnet in it I believe .

The only way I think is to use a wire around the plug wire type little tach.

I just guessing on that one. I hope someone proves me wrong.

Like I said before , it's the search for the 'HolyTach', everyone wants it but no one really knows if and where it is. I have been reading about this in all kinds of other forums out there for years, but like you said before no one has positive or concise answers. A couple of them show them working on Youtube but they don't share how they made it work.

I have been using the Tiny tachs for years but I rather have an analogue tach. Not only it is much cooler but for me is like looking at a digital watch, somehow it does not convey to me the real concept of what time it is if that makes sense. Also eventually the battery on the Tinytach goes dead and it is not replaceable rendering it useless. I have opened a couple up to replace battery but you nearly destroy it since it is all epoxied together.  Been researching also the possibility of using a magneto signal converter on the h60.

Found also another type that uses a magnetic pickup to senses the teeth on the flywheel essentially making it a mechanical tach. That should work with just about anything as long as flywheel has teeth. More to come on that one eventually.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2