953 nut

10-6-1961

953 nut

10-6-1961

Kennedy urges Americans to build bomb shelters

President John F. Kennedy, speaking on civil defense, advises American families to build bomb shelters to protect them from atomic fallout in the event of a nuclear exchange with the Soviet Union. Kennedy also assured the public that the U.S. civil defense program would soon begin providing such protection for every American. Only one year later, true to Kennedy’s fears, the world hovered on the brink of full-scale nuclear war when the Cuban Missile Crisis erupted over the USSR’s placement of nuclear missiles in Cuba. During the tense 13-day crisis, some Americans prepared for nuclear war by buying up canned goods and completing last-minute work on their backyard bomb shelters.

Today I wish folks along the East Coast had these as Hurricane Matthew heads their way. God, please keep them safe.

10-6-1961.jpg

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3

ztnoo

I was about 13 at the time, but knew something very serious was going on internationally with the Soviet Union, although I didn't fully appreciate HOW SERIOUS it was at the time.

Most people born after that crisis have no concept or idea we were as close to an all out nuclear exchange as we have ever been during the Cuban missile crisis.

Khrushchev wised up and backed down.

If he hadn't, we might not be discussing Wheel Horse tractors today.

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 4

Fun Engineer

We had a neighbor when I was growing up that built a bomb shelter under his house. He was an immigrant from some country near Russia  don't remember where but was a very nice man. I was 11 in '61 and don't remember the Cuban Missle Crisis but I remember the tour of his bomb shelter. Very cool for an 11 year old. Knowing what we know now, I wonder if his shelter would have stood up to a nuclear bomb. I've often wondered what the current owner uses the shelter for. 

• Like 2

clueless

Back then my sister told my dad not to worry, we only lived a block away from our school, all we have to do is go to the school and get under the decks.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ztnoo

decks or desks?

clueless

Desks, sorry was only on my first cup of coffee.

ztnoo

It's a good thing you are about as far west in FL as you can be today.

I'm afraid neither a deck or a desk will help anyone on the east coast tonight and tomorrow.

It gonna be a really ugly scenario.........coffee or not.

AMC RULES

Ahhh yeah...thems were the good ol' days... :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

clueless
1 hour ago, ztnoo said:

It's a good thing you are about as far west in FL as you can be today.

I'm afraid neither a deck or a desk will help anyone on the east coast tonight and tomorrow.

It gonna be a really ugly scenario.........coffee or not.

Yea, it looks like its going to be a ruff ride on the east coast of the state. Been thru a least 9 of these things in the past 60+ years anywhere between a cat1 and a cat4, four direct hits. You have to be ready for these thing at the beginning of the season gen ready to go at least 40gal of fuel with stabilizer, batteries, lots of water 50gal or more, can food, something to cook it on (propane grill,propane cooker even better, plenty of propane). Best thing I tell people who move here, have your house inspected and get it hurricane ready. Any thing above a cat2 board it up and leave early!!       

• Like 1

DougC

I was old enough to realize how frightened my parents were and how helpless they felt knowing there was absolutely nothing they could do but wait and see.

A bomb shelter was not a possibility for a poor family in southern Iowa.

• Like 1