suburbanrider

compression issue?

suburbanrider

Question...

I just purchased a vintage Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger and I was mowing the yard.  Towards the end, motor started smoking a bit underneath the engine and then shut off.  Now it wont start.  I started trouble shooting and I found out there was barely any oil in it.  Drained the oil and maybe 1 cup of oil came out.  I put new oil in and after about 2 pints, it started to leak at the connection from the drain valve to the motor (towards the rider).  I see that the connection is loose, so now I have to take the battery out and try to tighten the connection between the drain elbow and the motor.

Also, after putting the oil in it, I tried to start and the motor spins, but thats all.  I dont hear any engine compression sounds.  I just hear the sound of the motor rotation (kinda hard to explain, but i hope you get the idea).  It seems like there is possibly no compression.  Im not sure though.  Ive never dealt with a compression issue.

Im guessing the motor isnt seized since it turns with the electric start and the pull cord.

Spark plug replaced and sparks and I removed the fuel line to the carb and gas was flowing so im guessing the problem isnt either of these issues

Is the motor destroyed after automatically shutting off with no oil?

What can I do?

thanks

Elkskin's mower junkyard

engine more than likely is blown. take plug out put your finger over plug hole spin engine over (make sure plug wire isnt near you. you will feel wheather or not piston is moving. if i was closer i would offer an engine but i dont do shipping lol.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I take it that this is a Kohler??  The "K" series Kohlers have what is called an ACR...automatic Compression Release.  When you try to start the engine, the ACR kicks in and takes away the compression so you can pull the cord or the battery has an easier time turning it over.  It is possible you did some damage, but the lack of oil creates heat which seizes the engine.  Usually, the engine just has to cool off and with oil added it should start again.  Let us know. 

Elkskin's mower junkyard
7 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I take it that this is a Kohler??  The "K" series Kohlers have what is called an ACR...automatic Compression Release.  When you try to start the engine, the ACR kicks in and takes away the compression so you can pull the cord or the battery has an easier time turning it over.  It is possible you did some damage, but the lack of oil creates heat which seizes the engine.  Usually, the engine just has to cool off and with oil added it should start again.  Let us know. 

isnt majority of lawn rangers tecs originally. and early kohlers didnt have acr. my dads k161 on 754 dont have it.

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak

pfrederi

I also doubt it has ACR.  Tecumseh didn't offer that in the 6hp until well after the lawn rangers.

What model Lawn ranger are we talking abut here??  (later ones were vertical shaft and I have no clue about them)

Edit;  Just found your other post it is 68 Lawn Ranger.  no ACR...Do what mower freak suggested you will feel a puff of air if not connecting rod is most likely gone.  They do not like running without oil.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

stevasaurus

I knew teckys did not have ACR, but as usual, we end up guessing about what engine we are talking about. :think: 

WHX??

I fear you blew the lower rod end and if you did your bad... most of us here change the oil first thing on a new to me tractor just to make sure it's new, clean and proper type oil if nothing else. Holler if you need more help and

BTW :WRS:

• Like 1

roadapples

:WRS:

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Jim

suburbanrider

ok great.  now i have to look for a new engine or sell tractor.  Tractor is a lawn ranger 12631 and motor is a tecumseh H60-751176

Im gonna look around for a motor on here and other sites.

What is a ballpark cost of a new motor?  What do you think I can ask for a selling price for the tractor itself?  It comes with the mower deck.  Overall good condition.  I also have the old wheel horse dump trailer with it wich is pretty cool

Thanks for the help guys

pfrederi

Several people have put one of the Predator engines from Harbor Freight in  LawnRangers.  With coupons etc they are less than $100.

Elkskin's mower junkyard

it is hard to find the tecumsehs on riser plates. my dads 67 sears takes one. so when i was at work at mower junkyard i gathered up all the tecs on risers h60s and h70s with one inch cranks which 1 inch cranks are hard to find on them. and i bought them.yes couple of dads wheel horses took tecumsehs but now either have kohlers or i stuck a briggs on them. so if you can find a used k161 k181 or a magnum 8 kohler dont be afraid of buying it. kohlers beat tecs all way around with more power and torque.

you should be able to find a good used Tecumseh H60 for very little money.  they made zillions of them , a lot went on snow blowers. don't worry about finding the right type , stuff can be switched around to get it right. you can also change pulleys or use an adapter if you use a 3/4" crankshaft instead of the 1"

i have about 10 of them i've picked up for backup , never  paid more than $30 for one

• Like 1