illinilefttackle

1971 RAIDER 12 ASSEMBLY HELP

illinilefttackle

Hi Guys- I'm back again looking for clues on the re-assembly of a Raider 12- with Electronic Ignition. I asked questions before & got help with a good wiring diagram. Except the model I'm working on doesn't seem to fit any diagram I have seen. Model 1-1310 ( if I remember right) its a Kohler 12 hp K-301. It has a coil that mounts on the air covers with 4 bolts and has a spark plug wire coming out & a blade terminal on the bottom. Under the air covers there is a module mounted on the bearing case with 2 wires coming out of it marked "I" & "A". the "A" goes down and back to the rectifier- the "I" goes to the front under the coil. Can't tell if it was ever connected there. I have a home for all the wires in the tractor- except this one. Does it go to the coil as it shows in the diagram? ( it shows a wire coming from the "I" terminal of the ignition switch-but this wire comes from the module not the switch. The diagram that looks right shows a start switch with a "M" terminal for Magneto. The diagrams also show solenoids on the tractors- this one does not have one- heavy wires go directly to the switch. Any body got any pictures- or advice- I don't want to ruin these Electronic Ignition parts-Thanks for any first hand advice-or model specific info-

Is this Tecumseh Ignition on a Kohler Or a Briggs type (Magnatron).- Thanks- Al

OH YEAH- I forgot- this tranny has 1 1/8" axles- do they use # 22 woodruff Keys?

• Like 1

953 nut

I presume you already have this diagram, but just in case, here it is.

• Like 1

illinilefttackle

Thanks- I've got that one- Al

gwest_ca

Fom the Kohler service manual.

The 22 ohm 1/2 watt resistor sounds like a good idea.

Would not be so confusing if the

"to ignition switch or coil assembly" in the last picture

read

to ignition switch and/or coil assembly

Garry

Kohler breakerless ignition 1.jpg

Kohler breakerless ignition 2.jpg

Kohler breakerless ignition 3.jpg

• Like 2

illinilefttackle

Great work - I agree on the wording. I have a black wire coming along the frame from the ignition switch under the engine and coming out by the fuel pump. I tested it with a continuity checker- it goes to ground when switch is off, but open all other positions, just like a Magneto system has or the shut off wire to a Briggs Magnetron Coil.  I'm assuming this goes to the blade connector on the coil-BUT- does the "I" wire from the trigger module go there also?  I will have to think about that for a bit- let me know your opinion please- I;m going to see if I can find a 22 ohm resistor in the circuit somewhere. Thanks for your time- Al

Edited by illinilefttackle

oldredrider

As noted on the drawing, the switch wire and trigger wire connect to the bottom post on the coil.

• Like 2

illinilefttackle

Thanks- seems to say that- tune in for results at a later post- Al

953 nut

@Aldon did a thread a few weeks back that will serve you well on this subject.

• Like 1

illinilefttackle

Wired it up - both wires to the terminal on the coil- cranked it over- SPARKS like crazy! Thanks guys!- Al

• Like 1

953 nut
27 minutes ago, illinilefttackle said:

SPARKS like crazy!

:woohoo:

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Actually, those Raider 12's have three different systems, according to my service guy. I bought a Raider AKA Electro 12 that has points ign, but does not have the common beer can coil. Instead, the coil [or possibly magneto?] is integrated into the stator group behind the flywheel but still functions as a coil. Since these are NLA, he said that i could clip the wires, add a Kohler coil [which has a resistor] and a different switch like the more common units have. As an alternative, you could also add a switched just for the  coil but it is likely that you could forget to turn it off and burn up the points or coil.

i could be wrong about some of this, so I invite comments and corrections.

Edited by ohiofarmer