JVDWheelHorse

First Job

JVDWheelHorse
18 minutes ago, wallfish said:

We ALL started some where, so good job on finding a job! :thumbs:

You'd be amazed how many think they should start off as the vice president of the company without any experience!

Thanks! Hopefully all goes well

7 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

That is great news. Usually the first job is the one with the most memories , good and bad. I got my first job at 15 1/2 at a burger joint making a $1.00 an hour. That was back in the dark ages.

Wow, makes me feel lucky! Thanks! Can't wait to make some memories

• Like 7

Racinbob

Congratulations! Yes, we all had to start somewhere and I'd say you're off to a great start. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 8

SylvanLakeWH

Congrats!

• Like 6

illinilefttackle

Congratulations on your first job! I respect you as others do for going out and finding a job and being willing to work. Earning your own way in Life is the Path to Manhood. Good Luck- Al

• Like 6

ACman

Good to see a youngster wanting to work and not wanting to have something handed them . You still have a month keep filling out apps , maybe other opportunities await you . Return to other places you've already been . Showing someone you want to work may yield you a job .

• Like 6

Abe01

Way to go man! I remember my first job, I worked decking houses in the texas heat for 6 bucks an hour that was good money back then. I stayed friends with the owner , he taught me how to work with other people and how to have a good time and still get the job done...first jobs cab help shape the way you aproach work and helps you learn to deal with the stress of a job.

• Like 9

Ed Kennell

My first real  job was mowing the weeds along township roads.  No we didn't use a Wheel Horse, I used a mowing scythe.  The pay was $0.60/ hour and all the berries you could eat.

That was a few years back....I think I was 13 then.

It sounds like you have a great attitude and I am confident you will be a success in everything you do.    

Just remember, the wages you earn will be spent and gone, but the experience you gain from every job will be with you forever.

Best of luck with the new job.

• Like 9

roadapples

Agree with what others have said. Just having a job at your age nowadays is worth quite a few dollars in self respect. You have our respect for going after it...

• Like 6

Wheel-N-It
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Congratulations! Yes, we all had to start somewhere and I'd say you're off to a great start. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yes, same here.

And congratulations to all of you who took the time to give this young man an encouraging word :)

• Like 9

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Best of luck, the same job my son has. He is 15 and luvs working, independence.

Glenn

• Like 7

rjg854
10 hours ago, JVDWheelHorse said:

Well I went to an interview today and I got my first job! I can't start until I'm 16 which is in almost exactly a month but I'm happy. I'll be a busboy for $8 an hour but i guess you gotta start somewhere!

Best of luck on our job, do a good job and some times the wait staff will share some of their tips with you if you help them out a lot. One of my first jobs was working restaurants, a good place to learn what work is all about, really.

• Like 7

squonk
10 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

That is great news. Usually the first job is the one with the most memories , good and bad. I got my first job at 15 1/2 at a burger joint making a $1.00 an hour. That was back in the dark ages.

897109581avatar.gif:)

My first job was a dishwasher at a golf club. My father ran the restaurant. IT WAS HOT in the kitchen. They asked me to make the salad one night so I took the pan ,fixins and a chair and sat in the walk in cooler. :) My first expeirience with refrigeration! :banana-wrench:

• Like 8

JC 1965

We moved to a dairy farm in 1955. I was 9 years old. My main job was to get up at 4am and open the barn for the cows to come in for milking. Then start the feeding process while my step father started milking. Then when the last cows were fed I would help finish the milking and gather eggs and eat breakfast take a bath and get dressed for school. After school everything started all over again except gathering the eggs.  As for the pay, i got all I could eat of my moms great cooking. Hard life especially in winter but instilled in me some very good work ethics.   :thumbs2:

• Like 6

JoeM

Good Deal, Congratulations!

I started in the summers working at a local garage assisting the mechanics on car repairs. The owner was an older gentlemen and I look back and still cannot believe the amount of his patience!

As I learned and gained confidence, he would let me do tougher more important jobs. I remember one morning an older guy came in and wanted his Chevy tuned up. There was no openings and the owner told the guy it would have to wait for another day. The man insisted, and the owner trying to discourage the rush of the job,  said the only person available is the kid. The man said "what if he screws it up", the owner said then I will fix it free! I tuned it up and ran fine!

I am not sure I would have had that level of confidence in myself!

Every job I had taught me something of value.

• Like 5

stevasaurus

I'd love to play "Top This" with these guys for first jobs, but that is not what this thread is about.  Actually, I think $8 an hour sounds like good money for bussing. :handgestures-thumbupright:  Congratulations on your 1st job, and don't forget to have some fun while doing it also.  Maybe next year, bring this thread back up, and we can share those 1st experiences.  Now that should be fun.  Good Luck to you Jacob...it already sounds like you will be OK.  :)

• Like 6

TDF5G

Congratulations on your new job.  You are right, you have start somewhere!

:text-bravo:

• Like 4

JVDWheelHorse

Didn't get notifications for your replies but thank you all for your stories and compliments about respect. Loved reading about how times have changed. Thanks!

• Like 4